The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA tilt swing adapter

Terry

re: Alpa tilt swing adapter

I guess it means you need to remount your existing lenses. Ouch.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

With Alpa updating their tilt-swing offerings it seems a good time to get an updated survey of the pancake Tilt Shift options out there.

Cambo Tilt and Swing:
- requires lens retrofit into TS mount
- widest Schneider: 43mm
- widest Rodenstock: 28mm
- tilt and swing can be applied simultaneously

Arca Tilt and Swing:
- built into body, every lens works without retrofit
- widest Schneider: 24mm (all)
- widest Rodenstock: 23mm (all)
- tilt, or swing, not both at the same time

Alpa Tilt and Swing:
- requires lens retrofit, and separate adapter
- widest Schneider: 60mm
- widest Rodenstock: 32mm
- tilt, or swing, not both at the same time

Feel free to make any corrections, or to add other pancake platforms to the list.

gazwas

I guess it means you need to remount your existing lenses. Ouch.
That is a surprise!

Can't believe it's taken so long to produce a frame with a grub screw attached to induce tilt/swing. :confused:

Not very elegant IMO and somewhere that Cambo and especially Arca have implemented very well. Who designs Alpa cameras...... Mr Meccano?

kdphotography

....Can't believe it's taken so long to produce a frame with a grub screw attached to induce tilt/swing. :confused:

..... Who designs Alpa cameras...... Mr Meccano?
Things are simple at the top. :ROTFL:

Kidding! I'd still like an Alpa....just because. ;)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

This is the sort of thread you really miss having an Alpa rep on the board to highlight the advantages of the new product and answer questions.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Alpa also put together a nice whitepaper on tilt/swing here too:
ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Parallel shift and Scheimpflug lens tilt

No real solution for wide non-retro focus lenses such as the Schneiders so if you have an SK35/47 etc then you're basically going to switching to a Rodie in 17mm mount with the narrow T/S adapter. The Rodie 32 & 40 are both nice options - at a price naturally.

Can't believe it's taken so long to produce a frame with a grub screw attached to induce tilt/swing. :confused:

Not very elegant IMO and somewhere that Cambo and especially Arca have implemented very well. Who designs Alpa cameras...... Mr Meccano?
Well what did you expect? Short of producing a completely new lens mount camera the options are pretty limited for the existing body. It might have been interesting if they'd produced a mount approach of Cambo per lens - the adapter is probably better if you have multiple lenses for T/S vs buying a T/S mount per lens.

It'll be interesting to compare the cost of entry to the 17mm T/S adapter and a new Rodie 32/40 vs a system change to Cambo and a lens remount of SK 35/47 ... I suspect that a new Cambo would be pretty close. :eek:

gazwas

Well what did you expect?
A solution that works!

Would be helpful if it was compatible with all styles of wide angle lens designs rather than just retro focus.

Short of producing a completely new lens mount camera the options are pretty limited for the existing body.
But purchasing a new body or lens mount sound much more cost effective and than potentially having to re-purchase all your lenses again.

yaya

If you could combine Cambo's T/S mount with Arca's focusing system and ALPA's badge then you would have the perfect tech camera:)

Jokes aside, it is great to see a tilt solution for ALPA users even if it somewhat limited

darr

You guys can poke fun at ALPA all you like. I have owned a few Arca Swiss cameras and they are very useful, but never as SEXY as an ALPA. :)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Just had the email about the new adapter.

Looks like a typically weird Alpa cobbled together contraption.

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Home
That is a surprise!

You seem to be very proud of your totally overdriven sarcasm which is entirely
inappropriate here and almost an offence .
Is that the way a discussion should be here in the forum ? No , surely not .

gazwas

You seem to be very proud of your totally overdriven sarcasm which is entirely
inappropriate here and almost an offence .
Is that the way a discussion should be here in the forum ? No , surely not .
Offensive....... Are you being serious?

I think Alpa cameras are wonderful bits of kit but any Schneider WA lens owner must be quite dissatisfied with this adapter following months of speculation.

Judging by your reaction, here sometimes lies the problem with Alpa cameras and the point Yair puts so well is that many are sold because of the badge. Removing my rose tinted specks, in this case the adapter falls well short of my expectations.

This is a discussion for once not about a blasted D800. If we all get on nice, there is no reason for it not to continue with some light hearted and healty disagreement. After all, that's why I enjoy participating in this forum and a Alpa love in would just be dull IMO.

gazwas

You guys can poke fun at ALPA all you like. I have owned a few Arca Swiss cameras and they are very useful, but never as SEXY as an ALPA. :)
Aesthetically..... very true!

However, when discussing the Arca R cameras I consider them to be a masterpiece of engineering and unrivalled in that respect.

kdphotography

Sexy is just, well sexy. I'd love to have an Alpa!

I'd change the slogan to, "It's Sexy on Top."

:ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Offensive....... Are you being serious?

I think Alpa cameras are wonderful bits of kit but any Schneider WA lens owner must be quite dissatisfied with this adapter following months of speculation.

Judging by your reaction, here sometimes lies the problem with Alpa cameras and the point Yair puts so well is that many are sold because of the badge. Removing my rose tinted specks, in this case the adapter falls well short of my expectations.

This is a discussion for once not about a blasted D800. If we all get on nice, there is no reason for it not to continue with some light hearted and healty disagreement. After all, that's why I enjoy participating in this forum and a Alpa love in would just be dull IMO.
Moderator Warning

Lets be sensitive to those out there who have a different opinion.
Behavior here should be at the level one might expect at a dinner party or in your own living room.
I have been watching this thread and I think that it is bordering on the unacceptable. I have also received complaints.
So please gentlemen, some prefer Scotch, some bourbon and that is fine, so lets not get insulting about other's tastes.
thanks
-bob

darr

Aesthetically..... very true!

However, when discussing the Arca R cameras I consider them to be a masterpiece of engineering and unrivalled in that respect.
Yes, Arca cameras are engineered very well, but aesthetically I find the "R" series not appealing and when I gave the "R" a serious look at, I realized I would be paying for things I would not need. When you buy into the "R" series, you buy the entire package. You have more customization options with ALPA.

For example, I do not want or need all the numbers written on my lenses (i.e., ALPA HFA Rings, Arca lens mount) as I know where the focus spots are on my lenses from testing, so I prefer a very simple camera design. I know a lot of photographers want to use Distos and use the numbers for absolute precision; me, I prefer using a minimum amount of lenses and will stick to those lenses for years and know where the sweet spots are.

I think for me at least the big difference I see between these two cameras is the Arca "R" is all beefed up for the photographer that likes all the techie stuff and with ALPA if you want all the techie stuff you have the option to add it or not. I have always preferred the simplest design in my equipment.

It has always been about content for me and not playing with gear--but, I understand and APPRECIATE the photographers that do love the gear and give it a workout. I read their reviews and study their work and this is how I get the best education on gear.

I would be lost without this forum and all the contributors that have something worthwhile to say: technically and photographically! :clap:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If you are looking for simple, there is always the TC.
Me, I am not sure I want bells and whistles, but the key ingredient in my mind for justification of a tech camera is Tilts.
-bob

gerald.d

Re: Alpa tilt swing adapter

Feel free to make any corrections, or to add other pancake platforms to the list.
Hartblei HCam
- Utilises tilt/swing/shift of available lenses
- Widest, Canon 17mm TS-E
- Tilt and swing can be applied simultaneously (axis on which the lens tilts can be rotated)

OK, so it's a bit of a fat pancake, I'll grant you that :)

darr

I can live without tilt, but I cannot live without the ability to use a ground glass if needed and lens selection.