The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting Interiors with MF

Riley

Riley,
Thank you for your explanation. It sounds like you have to have some powerful strobes.
Thanks
Joseph, you are quite welcome
actually i dont use much flash power at all, mostly i have a single camera mounted FL50, and I shoot about 1/3 stop below ambient light and roll up the iso for exposure. Using flash just for fill and to maintain some semblance of white balance. All these are single camera mounted flash, the flash generated shadows give it away

i make more use of available light, and i use whatever i can get from tungsten sources through open doorways to daylight coming through windows. This often means that windows blow out a bit, but that isnt so important where there isnt much of a view. In Guy's case he had no choice but to fill the place with strobe light to maintain his DoF and keep the outside view well exposed. MF format cameras are not known for good iso performance, 4/3rds can hold its own to iso800, which happens to be a useful range in this racket.

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Are there any good tutorials for lighting interiors with multiple lights? From what I see of your work Guy and that of all good interior guys, the light is extremely even througout, even when used for accent. How is this done?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Makes it nice when they stage them. This house I did they did a nice job on it pretty much.

Ben obviously practice but shooting tethered is very helpful to see what really is going on.
Some lights are on softbox. One was a beauty dish which i find very useful since it throws out very nice soft light with a small profile to the unit. Than I use 7 inch reflectors also with a white diffusion sock on them. Or sometimes i will directly bounce into the ceiling. Here you have to be careful though if the ceiling is part of the image. Many of mine are because for a builder you want to show the house lines and such

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
So let me see if I have this right, what ever the exposure is for view thru window for your given f stop is what you shoot interior at and you use strobes or flashes for fill and to get light up in interior to match outside.

Guy Mancuso

Yes Joseph figure the sun rule 125 at f16 for ISO 100 for bright daylight. Now that will decrease some going through windows and glass doors and such. Anytime i see the windows as a major part of it , i already know to go to 1/125 and than try and get enough power from the flash to match or really maybe let the outside go a stop brighter than the inside . Looks more natural

Guy,

Have some of these images had perspective correction done?; they look a little odd to me. It may be the 28mm's wideness... then again I have just got some new glasses, LOL.

Well done on balancing the lights, good job.

John Grow

I agree with Guy as far as the light setup. I normally bounce all the lights off the back wall or the ceiling. Only problem is when they paint with that really bright designer paint. It throws a weird color cast.

All my clients want to see through the windows, especially with the views in the bay area. That is crucial to the builders and RE agents.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re perspective with the 28 --- it is a really wide, rectilinear lens, and as such will elongate circular objects toward the center of the image. But, when cramped for shooting distance, you don't have much choice.

Guy Mancuso

Really not much can be done except start doing Pano's with a longer lens. I did pretty good here on this gig maybe one or two have a little odd look but it is not to bad . Getting back and going longer is not always a option but when working with wides this will happen so you just need to watch yourself sometimes and sometimes i will use it for effect also. Thanks for the comments on the lighting. We will do another lighting workshop but this time in Phoenix and may change the venue up also and include this type of work and location stuff. Lighting is fun , i wish more folks would get into it more

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, the pool shot is stunning, excellent work!

So how much is this house again? Maybe if I sell out of my over-priced Silicon Valley house, I could swing it...

Guy Mancuso

1.6 but I can get you a deal.:D

This is 4600 sq ft. designed for the over 50 crowd. YOU

BTW this is Carefree which interestingly enough is the richest TOWN in America .

J

jmvdigital

Wow Guy! I'd love to be sitting in there right about now.

Great shots throughout this thread, btw. You guys make interiors look easy.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Justin . Starting to process the mother load , have a few more . That was a 6 second exposure at F11 and i popped two strobes off . The foreground had a warming gel and the Ranger was aimed at the Fireplace

Guy Mancuso

Pre dawn with a 55mm and dawn with a 80mm on a 14ft ladder . I rigged the tripod with clamps and such to get as high as i could. Not happy with the Pre dawn , no clouds at all. Boring

Guy Mancuso

Watch this. C1 correcting for distortion with the 35mm mamiya defaults . Watch the right lines. before and after. See it take the bulge out also. Cool stuff