The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 and USB3?

alan_w_george

I'm guessing this is not working???

I got an new MacBook Pro and plugged in the USB3 and C1 doesn't see it. Looks like it is charging the battery though:)

Any clue when this will work?

alan_w_george

Sorry should have searched first. No USB3 yet.

Sorry to rant, but WTF? I bought this thing and it said USB3 on the side. How long has it been now???!!!

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
yeah, i get the feeling that they messed up something in the hardware and ran into an unexpected problem they can't solve. It's been 18 months since the back was announced and shipping for well over a year now. wondering if they'll ever get it to work ...

gazwas

I think they are looking at developing thunderbot for the next backs as its hard to ignore now Apple dropped the firewire port on its new notebooks. IMO, development for that has taken over USB3.

It is very strange though, after 18 months and at release all the fuss they made about the next generation of connectivity that it still doesn't work. Possibly like Wayne says, they bodged something up in the back design and now having a hard time making it work? Admit there is a problem and face having to recall all the units sold could possibly send Phase under so its just best to promise it's coming within a couple of months. If I remember correctly, after release they said it would be working with a firmware update in June (2011). Its now 13 months on and still no USB3.

f8orbust

You gotta be optimistic that they'll get it to work - I mean it doesn't work on the Creodo backs either, does it? Don't think they would have carried on using a defective assembly in the Credo backs, so probably some other reason it's not enabled. I suspect they'll probably fire it up simultaneously on both platforms.

Still, odd that it's taken so long, and odder still that they launched the product without it working. A bit like 'Hey, here's the new BMW 820i - it's got a fifth gear, but it won't be enabled until fall 2013.' I mean, why do it?

anGy

It won't be in the next firmware update but for Q3.2012 following Phase One.
Really upsetting to wait for it so long and keep receiving promotional e-mails with such sort of statement:

With an IQ series back and Capture One Pro 6, you have access to a powerful tethered capture solution that can improve and speed up your workflow. The IQ-series features a FireWire 800 connection, ensuring the fastest tethered capture speeds possible today, and the series is also the first to feature a USB3 connection.

I wonder if they've got sued already or at least been threatened to be... they should fire (wire:)) some of their marketing managers :deadhorse:

Dan Santoso

Phase One presentation in my country was, it has the fastest connection via USB3, Phase one uses the next generation connection because the next thing is USB3.

Something like that......

talk only no action so far....

narikin

I think they are looking at developing thunderbot for the next backs as its hard to ignore now Apple dropped the firewire port on its new notebooks. IMO, development for that has taken over USB3.
That would be silly. USB3 is the standard now, It is on Macs and PCs.

IMHO they should avoid Apples silly custom ports, and stick with the universal ones. Apple will doubtless drop Thunderbolt soon enough for something else they can milk more money out of us with.

gazwas

That would be silly. USB3 is the standard now, It is on Macs and PCs.

IMHO they should avoid Apples silly custom ports, and stick with the universal ones. Apple will doubtless drop Thunderbolt soon enough for something else they can milk more money out of us with.
I didn't say they would remove the USB3 port as its more likely the firewire support will be dropped for another (Thunderbolt?).

I'd get your facts right first as Thunderbolt is not Apples invention, it was developed by Intel (Light Peak) and works using Intel's technology and hardware. It was further developed with Apples help.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Apples main contribution I've heard was the fiber to copper connectivity and the adaptation of the mini DisplayPort connector to become the standard TB connector. Eventually TB will be included in Intel PC motherboards, and I think it has a pretty good chance for wide adaptation. The fact that one cable to a display can handle Thunderbolt, USB 1,2 3, Firewire and the display is pretty sweet. USB 3 is "standard" but really is slow compared to TB, and TB is projected to scale in speed up to 10 times what it does now. Thunderbolt raids are faster than eSata, and with SSD raids showing up eSata becomes a bottleneck, as does USB 3.

As far as Phase, I can see them putting TB into the next incarnation of backs, but I'm not sure they'll revise the current ones. However, the $29 TB to Firewire 800 adapter coming in about a month makes it pretty easy to use a TB computer to tether to a Phase back. I am really tempted to pick up an 11" Macbook Air and try a tech camera again.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have both TB and USB3 external hard drives and TB is killer fast over USB 3. But at least it's much faster than FireWire 800. What is nice for small non essential things like card reader for instance great having the USB 3 stuff as it is much cheaper but for heavy loads I like having the TB which in my case my Promise Pegasus running 4tb with Raid0 I can work directly from that drive for processing which frees up my OS SSD and they both run over 500r/w speeds. Really like this setup

I do think when it's ready it will be nice shooting USB 3 . I'm about to try it on my Nikon. I have to say its pretty lame of Phase not to have this ready when my Nikon can right out of the box. There must be something legal here going on. The damn technology is here.

Wayne,
I picked up an 11" air to test out for a week and used Bob's TB to FW work around, mentioned in the gear garage forum. It works great and the Air is pretty darn fast. I think it was 60 seconds for my 6-core mac pro to process 10 16 bit tiffs and 82 seconds to do the same on the 11" 2.0ghz Air. I'll probably get an Air to keep prior to my next big trip, which shouldn't be for another month or two. I couldn't get the Lexar usb 3 card reader to work though... I agree that it's ridiculous that Phase hasn't implemented that feature yet. But alt east there's a work around if you have a newer comp that only has TB/usb 3. Hopefully Apple will release their TB to FW adapters in the next week or two.