The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ Series vs P+ Series feedback

C

CBronicki

Hi folks,

I'm from down under and new to the forum.

I will be purchasing a Phase One camera with either the P40+ IQ140 back.

I know the sensors are the same, but from a practical point of view, in terms of the screen, it's functions etc. is there a huge difference? If there is a significant difference from a practical viewpoint that helps create better photos faster, more efficiently or whatever etc, then I could justify the extra $$.

Would love some feedback from users with hands-on experience with both the P+ and IQ backs. I will be using my MF mainly for editorial portraiture.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Chris

Don Libby

Hi Chris and welcome to GetDpi. While I can't give personal experience with the 40 I do have a P65+ and will be taking delivery of an IQ160 later today and will be sharing my thoughts shortly afterwards.

Guy went from a P40+ to a IQ160 then back to an IQ140 so he's in a better position to describe the backs.

Don

dchew

I used a P65+ for about 8 months then got an IQ180. In my opinion the IQ features are well worth it. However, I am on a tech camera. I think the benefits are a bit less important if you are using the Phase camera.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Best way to describe this is in actually shooting from the user. The P series the mentality is shoot look at the histo gram see if your in good shape than take a look at the image that comes up and if it looks okay than you reside yourself to these thoughts exactly. Looks okay , may have nailed it won't know until I get it in C1 to be sure but let me shoot a couple extra just in case and hopefully it is sharp. Okay wait maybe I should focus bracket cause I can't really tell from this screen if I got it or not. By that time it's a decent guess. Think first LCD that hit the market , it's better than nothing. LOL

IQ mental thoughts when shooting. Take a shot okay histo looks great but maybe I want to see that full screen , you can. Highlight control I can spot exactly which is a hot spot and oh I can set that at any numeral value I want . I like 249. Sharpness well I immediately double tap and get 100 percent zoom and I can tell if I nailed it or not with confidence but let me scroll around image as well too. Than I have focus mask which is adjustable to fine tune to your lens. It's a okay immediate feeling of nailing it just with a glance of the LCD. Fashion work or fast pace work it is indispensable AND if on a tech cam not sure how we really got along without it. That is just 2 or 3 features that CONFIRMS what the hell you just did. Than you have other tools the ball leveling preview that gets you level in all directions even with a simple ball head. Great tool for tech cam users. I never looked at my Cambo levels just used the back. Big screen much bigger in reality and visually to the user. Bottom line the P series is great and it does the job , the IQ is wonderfully a CONFIRMS the shot. From a Pro seat and even the hobbyist it immediately makes everything faster and more reliable than anything else on the market in MF. The new Credo from Leaf obviously is a a cousin to the same technology.

Now I can't think of any area in photography that this does not help the shooter. Yes it's more money and a lot of money BUT some things in life are priceless to the shooter. Having these tools and others not mentioned are really amazing to work with and end of day I can confirm what I did and pack up in confidence and move on. This comes from a guy that has a background of shooting many many lighting gear situations without any aids in shooting no polariods and all guess work. Even as experienced as I am these new tools are confirmation and a hell of a lot less sweat than waiting for film to come back to confirm your shoot. Personally myself it's worth every cent spent on it. To me the best values are the IQ 140 and 160

C

CBronicki

Thanks for your responses!

Guy; love the way you described the differences - exactly what I was looking for. I shall go with the IQ 140.

Anything that makes life easier, more predictable, limits guess work etc and helps me shoot confidently in tough circumstances, i.e. on set with the art director looking over my shoulder, is a BIG plus. To a hobbyist, it may not be important, but to me it matters.

Thanks again for your help.
Chris

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Chris, I look at this stuff from the User seat more than anything else. Its really about what works functionally and making your flow easier to deal with and freeing your head for the task at hand. Here is where you forget the science and the technical stuff but focus on whats going to make my life much easier and confirm what I am doing. To me this is where it counts and a side bonuses it makes you and your gear faster to work with. Now i do look at this stuff from a Pro seat because that is what i am but I am around a lot of hobbyists as well and it REALLY helps them. Many times I see folks on workshops thinking so hard about working there gear that sometimes they get lost on the art at hand. For them its a even better situation since its a confirmation they can feel good about. Lets face it any good Pro can work themselves out of a paper bag but this helps us on the nailing it mentally and we all put a lot of stock in feeling we got what we needed. Really unless you are in a studio tethered most of the time than the P series is just fine since its all on screen anyway but outside of that i highly recommend The IQ and lets not forget the new Credo's as well which i have not had a chance to try yet but very much some of the same tech. on the back. Honestly I always thought the 40 mpx are the sweet spot in backs the 60 mpx are just a great bonus. I had them in both flavors and they never let me down. Do check with our two dealers here for purchase help or you can contact me as well if you need any guidance. Im fabulous at spending others money. ROTFLMAO

Paul2660

I shot with the P45+ for almost 4 years and when I did a demo last year with CI, I walked away from it saying, I have to have that screen. The screen won't give you a very good Live view but it will give you by far the best feedback on your capture that you can get, unless you are tethered. For my work outdoors standing in streams, oceans, or lakes miles away from my car, I don't shoot tethered.

If you have any plans to move to a tech camera the IQ is real plus, for the same reason. The screen. I have switched over to 98% tech with MD and the feedback, confirmations you can get from the LCD are priceless. Net you can often be close, but not on with focus and there is nothing I hate but to set up for a great shot, then have the focus be off.

However if you are using a DF back (Mamiya Glass) the screen is also important especially with the wider lenses. I have never felt that Mamiya bodies are very accurate on AF. Just take out a DF with a 35mm and focus on the same subject 4 times. Odds are you will get 3 different focus settings. Again being able to zoom in, check your focus gives you a great sense of confirmation. The screen allows you to zoom in, and move around the image instantly checking areas to make sure on focus. If there was a workable Live option then the solution would be darn near perfect.

To me it no matter on hobbyist or pro. Net if you paying this much for a camera system, you want to be able to use it to it's best capabilities. There are others areas also, like Focus confirmation, the level, and a much better highlight warning setup.

I have not checked prices in a while, so I don't know what the gap is anymore on the +40 and an IQ140. However make sure you consider the residual's of both over time. The IQ will hold a better value until Phase brings the next gen of backs to the market.

I hope you are working with a dealer that can allow you to demo both side by side, as then and only then can you start to appreciate the differences.

Paul

gazwas

i.e. on set with the art director looking over my shoulder.....
Just playing devils advocate here but under the circumstances you mention above the best and most professional option is to shoot tethered into a desktop/notebook. My clients love the fact they can see what I'm seeing almost instantly and even though shooting tethered has been around years, it still impresses IMO.

Shooting tethered with either a P40+ or IQ140 is identical and all the bells and whistles on the IQ's are just wasted £$€.

Everything else is as Guy says.

Don Libby

Once again Guy nailed it.

I shoot landscape and some nature, primarily with a Cambo WRS and knew last year I wanted/needed an IQ. I still remember the conversation with Guy as we both fondled an IQ180. I also remember find just how weather-proof the back was after several hours of 2-grown men drooling over it. :D

Everything Guy mentioned is the main reason for my decision in going from a Plus Back to the IQ. While I personally feel the IQ backs have a great fit in a tech camera I also feel they will be right at home otherwise. The screen is fracking huge, the addition of the touch screen will make for an easier, faster workflow whether you're inside a studio or your studio is in the outback.

There's a difference in cost however I see it as money well spent.

Don

Just a suggestion. Go to Phase One website and download the IQ user manual as well as the P40+ manual then compare the differences.

Last edited:

gazwas

Also to note, if I was purchasing a new back because of the flash new screen, I'd be looking at the Leaf Credo 40. Uses the same chips and screen as the IQ's but the touch screen is implemented in a much nicer way, with better UI and at a much nicer price.