The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WRS 1090 Hood filter slot limitation

kdphotography

I purchased the new Cambo WRS 1090 Compendium Hood with the newly added filter slots, just in time for my trip to Canada. The WRS 1090 attaches to the Cambo WRS by means of adapters on the cold shoe or adapter plate screwed onto the top of the camera.

Cambo recently added filter slots on the WRS 1090 allowing use of 4x4 or 4x6 plate filters. Great, right? Well, almost. Maybe I'm missing something really really simple here, so if anyone else with the WRS 1090 and newly added filter slots has an answer please share!

The filters slide in to place from the right side of the hood only, covering the front of the lens. No problem with solid neutral density filters, but the side entrance only means not being able to use graduated (or reverse grads) neutral density filters. I use 4x6 filters and even with 4x4 square filters the gradient is set in place. The gradient is in the wrong position with no way to adjust it. This would not be an issue had the filter slots been placed in front of the adapter frame and with a top-loading orientation, allowing the filter gradient to be moved. You can see the filter slots just forward of the lens in the attached image. The filter slots are stationary and do not move.

Granted I might not be using grads very often, but if you're going to provide filter slots, why not make the design without this limitation?? Right now I only see using solid plate filters....

ken

Last edited:

Don Libby

Agreed - this is a poor construction. :thumbdown: I have the original hood which doesn't allow for filters and find it adequate for my needs. The newly redesigned hood is a disappointment with the side slots plus being placed at the rear for no movements. When I first saw this I thought Cambo was going to place the filters on the outside of the holder so they'd move along with the hood. Who knows maybe version III will have this and Cambo will have done it right. As it is now it appears a non-photographer engineer designed this.

Sadly I can't totally recommend this if you want to use grad filters. If on the other hand you don't use filters or don't use grads then it does as advertized.

Don

kdphotography

After speaking with Don this morning, there *may* be a workaround for using graduated filters with the WRS 1090. I have clients arriving shortly, so won't be able to try out my *hopeful* solution for a couple hours....

The WRS 1090 works well as a hood and works well with solid neutral density filters, it isn't a solution for using grads. Granted I know many rarely use filters or prefer to use Photoshop, but there are times when I don't want to use my normal "hit-and-run" approach to landscape photography, and actually enjoy slowing it down and getting as much as possible done right in camera. And for those maybe miniscule rare moments/opportunities, I'd like to work the camera and hood with filters---the way I want to.

Will I be returning the WRS 1090? Nah---it works well enough to remain in my bag, but I'd much rather not have the graduated filter limitation.

More later...

ken

kdphotography

Okay--client delayed an hour, so attempted my workaround: no go.

The idea was to shift the adapter to load filters from the bottom. Top holding adapter bars preclude top-loading. Problem? Need to produce enough friction so the filters stay in place; there is no side spring to hold the filters in place. Solution: thin 1/4" strips of gaffers tape. It worked; enough friction produced so if filters are bottom loaded they stay in place. Okay so not real pretty, and John Milich would groan, but it worked. So onto step two.

Remove bellows from bracket. Filter holder is attached by four larger screws concealed by the bracket. The filter bumper stop on the left side is easily removed by punching it out gently with a small nail; this must be removed to allow adjustment of the grad filter. But the filter holder frame doesn't line up with parallel screw holes when shifting the bracket. Probably could attach filter holder bracket in another manner, but there is a "bend" in the metal plate backing so probably not as easy as simply making new screw hole attachments. Rather than press on further, I reassembled the WRS 1090, and will be leaving well enough alone for now.

Bummer.... No graduated filters with this design.

ken

Pemihan

Anyone know if the Lee Big Stopper will fit the filter slot?
The size is ok 100 x 100 mm, but I worry if the foam gasket will interfere?

Peter

Pemihan

I just took a look at this too.

There actually is some kind of spring holding the filter in place if you load it from the bottom. Not a lot of friction, but just enough - at least for my LCC plate.

The two filter holder bars can be moved in order to load from the bottom, you would just have to drill new holes in the metal backing frame, but that shouldn't be a problem...

I didn't go all the way as the screws holding the bars are really tight, I'm afraid I'm gonna strip them. Gonna shoot Cambo an email and ask if they have used some kind of glue on the screws and bars before I proceed..
If not I don't really see a problem in doing this mod.. But of course you would still be limited in how far up you can adjust the filters because of the bracket attaching the whole hood to the camera but I'm not sure that will be an issue...

Peter

Okay--client delayed an hour, so attempted my workaround: no go.

The idea was to shift the adapter to load filters from the bottom. Top holding adapter bars preclude top-loading. Problem? Need to produce enough friction so the filters stay in place; there is no side spring to hold the filters in place. Solution: thin 1/4" strips of gaffers tape. It worked; enough friction produced so if filters are bottom loaded they stay in place. Okay so not real pretty, and John Milich would groan, but it worked. So onto step two.

Remove bellows from bracket. Filter holder is attached by four larger screws concealed by the bracket. The filter bumper stop on the left side is easily removed by punching it out gently with a small nail; this must be removed to allow adjustment of the grad filter. But the filter holder frame doesn't line up with parallel screw holes when shifting the bracket. Probably could attach filter holder bracket in another manner, but there is a "bend" in the metal plate backing so probably not as easy as simply making new screw hole attachments. Rather than press on further, I reassembled the WRS 1090, and will be leaving well enough alone for now.

Bummer.... No graduated filters with this design.

ken

Last edited:

kdphotography

Peter,

I was at the point of no return---in other words, if I messed it up, I probably would have messed up the entire Hood assembly. This is not to say it can't be done, just that I didn't feel comfortable going further. So I put the hood back the way it was originally. I haven't really looked at it recently, and I may have to give it another look.

ken

anyone

This is a very old thread, apologies for digging it out, but I do have a detail question on the WRS 1090 hood.

How do you pack your lens hood? I have the choice to use an allen key to loosen the height adjustment screw and remove the holder from the hood, or I use the knob to unscrew the hood from the holding bars. Subsequently, I need to loosen the adjustment thumb screw at the camera body, remove the bars (or remove the entire assembly for the shade at the body).

It does sound a little complicated to me. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you!