The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phamiya firmware?

schweikert

Sorry for the (slight) highjack, but is there a list of the different firmwares of the various Mamiya AFD I, II, III, and Phamiya AFD updates/versions anywhere?

I have Jack's former AFD II and would be interested in seeing what firmware I have and what I 'could' have if I sent it in. I assuming the firmware check that Jack described will work on the AFD II also (I'm away from that camera right now).

I wish MAC/Phase would list there somewhere (website please) so, at the very least, we could decide if we want to send it in, or, possibly wait for the next firmware. I know there's a mention of an updated firmware for the AFD II for use with the ZD back (which I currently use), and only for some bodies (based on serial numbers) but the ambiguity is tough to understand.

Is it too much to ask for this info to be posted anywhere...hello...MAC/Phase? Is there anyone out there? ;)
As I understand it, there are only 2 firmware versions for the AFDII. The most recent firmware is on any bodies with GG serial numbers or greater. Bodies with anything earlier can be updated by sending to Mamiya/MAC.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if the AFD3 and AFD2 carry the same firmware or not, and not sure if you access the AFD2 firmware the same way since I learned the CF36 thing only recently.

I can tell you the current body firmware is 1.2 with a 1.3 version due out shortly...

I can also tell you that there are some minor changes to the way mirror-up works with 1.2 compared to 1.0. The main thing being it locks exposure when the mirror goes up and 1.0 didn't. 1.0 would allow light entering the eyepiece after MLU to alter exposure significantly. Shutter delay seems slightly improved with 1.2, but I have no real way to measure the difference. The focus indicator works differently in 1.2 when in MLU mode. Harder to explain in words than it's worth, other than to say the AE lock brackets become focus confirmation when you are in MLU mode --- this sounds bad at first, but after a bit you realize it's a nifty way to remind you that you are in MLU mode. I actually suspect this is a glitch and was not intended, so hopefully something that gets corrected in 1.3.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

CF 36, then press the exposure comp button. The top number in the camera LCD is the body firmware, the bottom number is the lens firmware...
Thanks Jack - you are right! (As usual, I'm sure.)

As I have v 1.0 I'll be very interested in what the update does. Here in Canada my Phase dealer, Vistek, does the upgrades and fortunately I don't live a huge distance from Toronto...

Bill

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Jack. VISTEK in Toronto is bringing me up to date with v1.3 on Thursday. (I have 1.0)

Bill
My new body and P45+ back were shipped to UK from Denmark yesterday and I pick them up in London tomorrow morning. I hadn't realized that this ludicrous firmware issue existed - sending back a $30,000+ system for a firmware update. Crazy.

I wasn't warned of this and I must say my inclination tomorrow will be that if it hasn't shipped with 1.3 I will just cancel the deal.

This is like Leica land, where you are expected to spend half your life at the post office...
:scry:

Tim

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
My new body and P45+ back were shipped to UK from Denmark yesterday and I pick them up in London tomorrow morning. I hadn't realized that this ludicrous firmware issue existed - sending back a $30,000+ system for a firmware update. Crazy.

I wasn't warned of this and I must say my inclination tomorrow will be that if it hasn't shipped with 1.3 I will just cancel the deal.

This is like Leica land, where you are expected to spend half your life at the post office...

Tim
Woah there... Every system has something annoying; this is Phase's.

Firmware upgrades are not required. The system will perform perfectly well with 1.3 firmware. The only time you would be "forced" to do a firmware update is to take advantage of some new lenses (e.g. the leaf shutter lenses that are forthcoming).

The firmware upgrade is performed and shipped back the same day or the next day and return shipping is free overnight FedEx in the US (I don't know what the euro service center does).

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer | Personal Portfolio

J

jmvdigital

Seriously woah there! Cancel a $30k purchase because of an optional firmware? Besides, the firmware is only for the camera body. The back itself has firmware that is up-to-date and is update-able via firewire.

Damn, and I thought I was picky.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
So far, there have not been any firmware updates for the Horseman, and I think for the Cambo as well.
The Horseman is the most reliable body I have ever owned, and the P45+ continues to work well on it for the few days that my Phamiya will be in the shop.
-bob

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Woah there... Every system has something annoying; this is Phase's.

Firmware upgrades are not required. The system will perform perfectly well with 1.3 firmware. The only time you would be "forced" to do a firmware update is to take advantage of some new lenses (e.g. the leaf shutter lenses that are forthcoming).

The firmware upgrade is performed and shipped back the same day or the next day and return shipping is free overnight FedEx in the US (I don't know what the euro service center does).

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer | Personal Portfolio

I think the way that Phase One is handling this is very good.

I recall when the H series was first introduced the same had to be done to get the H-bodies firmware upgraded. Hasselblad in time created a way that the firmware could be upgraded via their digital backs only. So if you had a third party system back to the depot or find someone with a back to perform the upgrade.

In speaking with some of the folks at Phase One it is their intention in the future to allow the upgrades to be performed by the end-user. We have to be a little patient since there needs to be some re-engineering to hardware and or accessories to allow this to happen.

This should be a painless process. Just work with your reseller and they will be able to facilitate getting this update completed in a few days time.

Lance

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim this is just for the body and not the back. One of the updates is to fix a sync issue below 1/8 of a second and a few other simple things that have no real important effect in your overall shooting. When you get your new back look at CF 36 as Jack described and see what firmware you have. This was just brought out to the public like 2 days ago and your reseller may not have even known about it yet. I'm sending mine in late next week after some shooting jobs to give myself a 3 or 4 day window to have it done. If your reseller is close by they may have a demo body to lend you also for the few days it is out. Something you may want to check. The future camera's will be end -user as lance described and certainly a better way to go.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Yes it is for the PhaseOne 645AF body only. With the Phase One backs you have always been able to perform firmware upgrades yourself.

Here is an excerpt from the release notes for firmware 1.4.

The firmware and these release notes were released today November 7.

The new firmware v1.4 will address the following issues:
• In rare cases, the flash wouldn’t trigger.
• The camera did not synchronize correctly in 2nd curtain sync. mode between shutter speeds of 1/125 and 1/30 sec.
• When connecting 28mm or 75-150mm the LCD in some cases showed “F--“ in aperture and lens would not work correctly until lens was reconnected.
• The focus assist mark was not displayed in mirror-up mode and single AF mode.
• Exif data was not correctly recorded in auto bracket mode.
• Self-timer mode was cancelled when detaching/attaching the battery.
• Issues related to film only:
-Was not possible to shoot continuously in auto bracketing mode with the Film Back HM402
-Multiple exposure mode was cancelled when detaching/attaching the battery and film back.
• In addition to this some issue have been solved for using the camera with the Mamiya ZD back. Please consult Mamiya for information regarding these issues.

What to do?

If you experience any of the above problems, a firmware upgrade is advised. Please contact your Phase One dealer for firmware upgrades covered by the warranty.

As Phase One is continuing optimization of the camera, new firmware updates may be introduced later including performance enhancements.

Lance

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have no complaints since I have had a couple of the problems fixed in 1.3. It is pretty good service as far as I can tell. Someday, maybe they might support user upgradeable firmware, but there are hazards there too since occasionally updates just don't work.
This update came out pretty quick compared to some that folks waited a year for.
-bob

Steve Hendrix

Tim
Tim:

As Lance mentioned, I expect this to change at some point in the future. So for now, yes, you might be without the camera for a couple days, but that will not be the case in the future. I'm not sure when, but if our relationship with Mamiya continues the way it is going, I would expect there will be a way for users to upgrade it themselves at some point.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

carstenw

I hate to go against the general wisdom, but I also find it shocking that you can't update it yourself. I cannot even think of another camera with this limitation. I hope that Phase One fixes it real soon, and makes the update free to existing owners.

Tim, your camera must have arrived by now. How do you like it?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Yes it is for the PhaseOne 645AF body only. With the Phase One backs you have always been able to perform firmware upgrades yourself.

Here is an excerpt from the release notes for firmware 1.4.

The firmware and these release notes were released today November 7.

The new firmware v1.4 will address the following issues:
• In rare cases, the flash wouldn’t trigger.
• The camera did not synchronize correctly in 2nd curtain sync. mode between shutter speeds of 1/125 and 1/30 sec.
• When connecting 28mm or 75-150mm the LCD in some cases showed “F--“ in aperture and lens would not work correctly until lens was reconnected.
• The focus assist mark was not displayed in mirror-up mode and single AF mode.
• Exif data was not correctly recorded in auto bracket mode.
• Self-timer mode was cancelled when detaching/attaching the battery.
• Issues related to film only:
-Was not possible to shoot continuously in auto bracketing mode with the Film Back HM402
-Multiple exposure mode was cancelled when detaching/attaching the battery and film back.
• In addition to this some issue have been solved for using the camera with the Mamiya ZD back. Please consult Mamiya for information regarding these issues.

What to do?

If you experience any of the above problems, a firmware upgrade is advised. Please contact your Phase One dealer for firmware upgrades covered by the warranty.

As Phase One is continuing optimization of the camera, new firmware updates may be introduced later including performance enhancements.

Lance
Thanks Lance. That's very clear and much appreciated.

This next bit is aimed at P1 and not at you!

I just cannot understand why the Phase One website doesn't seem to carry any of this information in a findable way - nor why I took delivery of a brand new P45+ kit today, shipped from Denmark on Wednesday, and with firmware 1.2 installed even though the (extremely nice) dealer assured me it had the 'current version', impossible to check in store since the batteries needed charging first.

I am now extremely confused: it appears that I have a hot off the press camera which is two firmware revisions behind and that having taken delivery only today, I might have to give it up for a few days, during which time it has to go back to Denmark. From whence it was just shipped two days ago.

I am also radically unclear as to what 1.3 does if it was released only so recently and is now superseded by 1.4. Does one ship them back every week?

I am not happy.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I hate to go against the general wisdom, but I also find it shocking that you can't update it yourself. I cannot even think of another camera with this limitation. I hope that Phase One fixes it real soon, and makes the update free to existing owners.

Tim, your camera must have arrived by now. How do you like it?
Carsten, thank you. I had a few 'woah there's' from people that made me genuinely wonder whether I was being unreasonable. But I have known you (and your credentials) for quite a long time now and I am relieved for the sanity check.

For what it's worth (and see above) I am now apparently TWO versions out of date on a camera that I've had for less than 12 hours. The P1 website has no information that I can find, the dealer seemed in the dark and no, I absolutely do not under any circumstances buy the proposition that others appear to have no problem with - that one can pay vast amounts for a pro camera that you can't FW upgrade without a plane ticket.

You asked otherwise how I'm finding it. In short, not good - though I do absolutely accept that I have spent only a couple of hours with it and may change my mind radically as things develop.

Why not happy?

1) The instruction book does not exist. Funky though it is on memory stick, a PDF is not a good way to absorb this kind of info. And I defy any literate human to work out how the AF system works from the description given. Simply put, the instructions are good in parts and truly terrible in others.

2) I took about ten shots, on a tripod, at F3.5 on kit lens and they are soft in the corners. There might well be reasons for this that I have yet to bottom out so I will hold my irritation until I have delved.

3) Importing into LR or Capture One, or looking on the CF card, the files appear to be TIFF rather than some variant of RAW. I'm sure that's just fine and dandy but it IS confusing and I'd like the instructions to be clearer as to what is going on. The manual refers to 'IIQ RAW' files as being smaller than the the 'processed TIFF' files. To me this implies that I have somehow set a menu setting to convert all files to TIFF rather than leave them as RAW but who knows? Somebody here, I hope!

Caveats to all the above: 30 second ISO 50 night time city scapes are pretty cool. And I have worked with a lot of Danish people and I really really like them.

Tomorrow I will set about seeing if I have a dud lens but I'll be staying with friends for the weekend and may not get the chance to get properly down and dirty til Monday :-(

Best

T

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Here Tim couple good links for you.

http://www.mamiya.com/645afd-iii.html#MoreInfo

http://www.mamiya.com/645afd-iii-more-info-custom-functions.html

Yes Raws are tif

See if I can find more stuff for you .

Give yourself a little time and BTW it is 1.3 not 1.4 for the body and honestly Tim the only reason we know about it is because some of us have been helping Phase on the firmware. They wanted to let there dealers know first and that data may have only went out yesterday or today. We are ahead of the game here. LOL

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Guy, you're ever-helpful - but I'm still a bit confused: Lance's post above seems to imply that hot on the heels of 1.3 has come 1.4, released only today...

Right, off to check out your links!

Best

tim

Here Tim couple good links for you.

http://www.mamiya.com/645afd-iii.html#MoreInfo

http://www.mamiya.com/645afd-iii-more-info-custom-functions.html

Yes Raws are tif

See if I can find more stuff for you .

Give yourself a little time and BTW it is 1.3 not 1.4 for the body and honestly Tim the only reason we know about it is because some of us have been helping Phase on the firmware. They wanted to let there dealers know first and that data may have only went out yesterday or today. We are ahead of the game here. LOL

Guy Mancuso

I actually think he maybe wrong on that and was speaking of the back. I will double check all this out though. If there was something than it was a day or two apart so most likely no one got 1.3 and they may have actually fixed something else real quick because Jack did bring something up in a tele-conference on Wednesday. I forget what it was though. I think Jack , Bob and few others already sent there's in. I have to wait a week because of work, this is a good thing. LOL

It does take some time to get used to MF so do give yourself a chance. But it is fun. Just go out and shoot and get a feel for how it all works