The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alignment problem with Schneider Digitar lens

torger

I have a Schneider digitar 90mm lens (copal shutter on a Linhof Techno board) which is noticably less sharp on the left side of the frame, shooting at f/11 with 33 megapixel back. I don't have problems with my other lenses so I think there may be some lens element alignment problem in the lens, or maybe some problem in the shutter thread.

I've heard that you can send the lens to Schneider and get it "recalibrated". I've searched the web a bit and found a service center, but they are of the not-responding-to-email kind, so I don't know if I found the right place.

Has someone got their lens recalibrated and can describe how it works, who to contact? And perhaps what it typically costs. The 90mm is a low cost lens so maybe it is cheaper to buy a new one than to get it recalibrated.

yaya

I'd try to determine if it's the lens or perhaps the lens board or the shutter's mount. Take the lens+shutter off the boar and turn it 90 & 180 degrees and see of the soft area also turns

torger

Thanks for the tips, I'll try some own diagnostics first.

Yes I tried to contact Mr Werner but only through email (twice), no response. I'm a bit shy on the phone especially when not speaking native language (I have some problem hearing especially when someone speaks with an accent) much more comfortable with written communication, but I guess I have to make an exception here :)