The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions on Medium Format Tech Camera Choices

markymarkrb

Forum Members,

I have a few questions regarding Tech Cams. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A little background:

I used to shoot panoramic shots on a Fuji GX617 and absolutely loved it. However, I decided to move on to digital while my camera still had some value. I sold the system. I purchased an IQ180/645DF setup. I've had tiling issues with the IQ180 but after a return to the mother land in Europe, it is fixed. The 645DF thing is another issue. I haven't been too pleased with the camera in general as I know a lot of people are. I know that it might get replaced this fall at Photokina but am now considering a switch to a Tech Cam for the tilt/shift options. I am not sold on focus stacking either as I just don't want to head down that road now.

So here are my questions:

First, with OpTechs now out of business, where can you purchase an ALPA STC or any ALPA stuff in the States?

I really want to achieve the 617 format. When I used the Fuji GX617, I really only used one lens even though I had more. If I were to only buy one lens to stitch with the 12 STC and get the 617 format with around 90-115 degrees of coverage, what is the right lens to get?

With the LCC profiles for these wide angle lenses, has the lens above been proven with the IQ180? I have heard that some have serious issues with color cast.

Does anyone know anything about the improvements ALPA might introduce at Photokina?

Thanks for reading and the advice.

Mark

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Forum Members,
I used to shoot panoramic shots on a Fuji GX617 and absolutely loved it. However, I decided to move on to digital while my camera still had some value. I sold the system. I purchased an IQ180/645DF setup. I've had tiling issues with the IQ180 but after a return to the mother land in Europe, it is fixed. The 645DF thing is another issue. I haven't been too pleased with the camera in general as I know a lot of people are. I know that it might get replaced this fall at Photokina but am now considering a switch to a Tech Cam for the tilt/shift options. I am not sold on focus stacking either as I just don't want to head down that road now.
If tilt is going to be a major tool in your workflow you might consider one of the tech cameras like the Arca RM3Di that can use tilt at ANY focal length and with any lens, rather than a system like Alpa for which you can only use certain lenses with tilt, and only then with additional accessories.

I can also give you many reasons why you'd want to select Arca or Cambo over Alpa, but I'm not in a neutral position to do that since my company does not sell Alpa. Just make sure before you spend many thousands on a tech camera system that you start your search with an open mind as to which brand will suit your needs/priorities/future-expansion best.

First, with OpTechs now out of business, where can you purchase an ALPA STC or any ALPA stuff in the States?
Fotocare in NYC would be my recommendation for an ALPA dealer. Capture Integration (my former employer) and Digital Transitions (my current employer) are two great places to look for the other two main tech camera brands Arca Swiss and Cambo.

I really want to achieve the 617 format. When I used the Fuji GX617, I really only used one lens even though I had more. If I were to only buy one lens to stitch with the 12 STC and get the 617 format with around 90-115 degrees of coverage, what is the right lens to get?
I developed a Visualizer to help visualize focal lengths in different formats. Here is a link to the beta. We'll be releasing a final version which will include 6x17 as an option (the beta does not) and in the future we hope to release a version which also supports visualizing what stitching will look like. In the meanwhile I'd be happy to create custom visualizations for you at various focal lengths with and without stitching, just contact me by PM or at my email in my signature.

With the LCC profiles for these wide angle lenses, has the lens above been proven with the IQ180? I have heard that some have serious issues with color cast.
The IQ180 does not work, at all, with the Schneider 24XL and 28XL. It works in a limited manner with the Schneider 35XL and 43XL. There are some minor limitations on the Schneider 47XL. With the longer Schneiders there are no issues at all.

So for wide-angle work the Rodenstock lenses (23HR/28HR/32HR/40HR) are worth considering as alternatives. It largely depends on how much movements you need and the trade off of usable image circle vs. cost and physical size of those lenses.

gerald.d

For 6x17 with a 90-115 horizontal field of view, you'd be looking for something that gave you a 30-40 (ish) vertical field of view.

Two options - either shoot portrait, or shoot landscape.

If you choose to shoot portrait, you'd want a lens in the 80mm range (4-5 shot stitch, depending on overlap), if shooting landscape, something in around 60mm would do it (3-4 shot stitch).

(this is assuming of course that you want to create your 6x17 format from a single row of stitched images)

Regards,

Gerald.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you are looking for Alpa then there a number of dealers in the US.

In addition to Fotocare that Doug mentioned in NYC there are also:

Bear Images in Palo Alto, CA
Bear Images (Seattle) replaced Optechs in Seattle with Ted Pedersen who used to work for Paul Slotboom.
Dodd Camera in Cleeveland, OH
Samys in LA

You can find the details at:
ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Representatives

As regards tech cameras and Alpa in particular, tilt isn't the be all and end all for creating great images ...

You may be interested in Alpa's recent announcements in this area as there are now tilt/swing solutions for lenses from Rodenstock 32mm up though to SK 250mm:
ALPA of Switzerland Newsletter

I'm unreservedly biased (since I shoot one) but I personally think that the Alpa is a wonderful, if traditional, technical camera system and delightful robust engineering. ;)

dick

For 6x17 with a 90-115 horizontal field of view, you'd be looking for something that gave you a 30-40 (ish) vertical field of view.

Two options - either shoot portrait, or shoot landscape.

If you choose to shoot portrait, you'd want a lens in the 80mm range (4-5 shot stitch, depending on overlap), if shooting landscape, something in around 60mm would do it (3-4 shot stitch).

(this is assuming of course that you want to create your 6x17 format from a single row of stitched images)

Regards,

Gerald.
¿I assume that you are talking about angles of view, in degrees?

¿You could be talking about stitched effective format size in mm?

The two options are shift-and-stitch or pan-and-stitch, and, for shift-and-stitch, with a 100mm image circle diameter and a 36 * 48mm sensor, you could get 36 * about 90mm, so an aspect ratio of about 6:17 is achievable.

You can get a stitched effective format size of 36*108mm with the SK 47XL.

AndyPtak

Hi Doug

I've tried to access the link for your visualizer and after giving my contact info all I get is a blank white screen - happened more than once.

Any ideas? Thanks

gerald.d

¿I assume that you are talking about angles of view, in degrees?

¿You could be talking about stitched effective format size in mm?

The two options are shift-and-stitch or pan-and-stitch, and, for shift-and-stitch, with a 100mm image circle diameter and a 36 * 48mm sensor, you could get 36 * about 90mm, so an aspect ratio of about 6:17 is achievable.

You can get a stitched effective format size of 36*108mm with the SK 47XL.
Yes - the requirement was specified with regards a horizontal angular field of view, and the sensor in question is an IQ180.

Given those parameters, I believe my figures are correct.

Regards,

Gerald.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi Doug

I've tried to access the link for your visualizer and after giving my contact info all I get is a blank white screen - happened more than once.

Any ideas? Thanks
The Beta does not work well with Internet Explorer. If that's what you're using I'd suggest accessing it using Firefox, Chrome, or Safari in Windows, or any (modern) browser on Mac.

Shashin

So, a 6x17 frame is 56mm x 168mm giving a diagonal of 177mm. For your IQ180, an equivalent format would be 40.3mm x 121mm giving a diagonal of 127.5mm.

So, now you can figure out equivalent angle of view. A 90mm lens on a 617 camera has an angular magnification of 0.5X (90mm / 177mm format diagonal). So to get an equivalent for your IQ180, take the diagonal and multiply it by the angular magnification--127.5mm x 0.5X = 63.75mm. So you need a 65mm lens to get what a 90mm lens does on a 6x17.

BTW, you will need to shift your lens 33.5mm left and right to get your 1:3 frame with an IQ180. You will also need an image circle of 127.5mm, preferably larger.

gerald.d

I've always liked your method of comparing different sensor sizes Sashin, but can I just ask why you chose to use a 90mm lens for this comparison?

Shashin

90mm is about as wide as you can go on a 6x17 camera and is fairly common for Linhof, Fuji, Horseman, Art Panorama, and some Chinese 617 cameras, although Linhof and Horseman do have a 72mm. The OP had a Fuji 617 camera and it seemed like a relevant focal length.

Shashin

Actually, an easier way would be to set up a crop factor from the format diagonals--121mm / 177mm = 0.69X. So simply multiply the 6x17 lens focal length by 0.68X to get the new IQ180 stitch equivalent.

gerald.d

90mm is about as wide as you can go on a 6x17 camera and is fairly common for Linhof, Fuji, Horseman, Art Panorama, and some Chinese 617 cameras, although Linhof and Horseman do have a 72mm. The OP had a Fuji 617 camera and it seemed like a relevant focal length.
Ahh ok.

I've got the 72XL for my Walker 5x7 along with the Canham 6x17 motorized back. Lovely little set-up but it just sits on the shelf these days.

dick

So, a 6x17 frame is 56mm x 168mm giving a diagonal of 177mm. For your IQ180, an equivalent format would be 40.3mm x 121mm giving a diagonal of 127.5mm.

So, now you can figure out equivalent angle of view. A 90mm lens on a 617 camera has an angular magnification of 0.5X (90mm / 177mm format diagonal). So to get an equivalent for your IQ180, take the diagonal and multiply it by the angular magnification--127.5mm x 0.5X = 63.75mm. So you need a 65mm lens to get what a 90mm lens does on a 6x17.

BTW, you will need to shift your lens 33.5mm left and right to get your 1:3 frame with an IQ180. You will also need an image circle of 127.5mm, preferably larger.
Is this calculation relevant in the real world?
Are there any digital wide angle lenses with an image circle greater than 113mm? (SK Apo-Digitar 47XL).

... of course you could use a 5 * 4 LF lens, but that would me a waste of the res of a high res back.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Is this calculation relevant in the real world?
Are there any digital wide angle lenses with an image circle greater than 113mm? (SK Apo-Digitar 47XL).

... of course you could use a 5 * 4 LF lens, but that would me a waste of the res of a high res back.
Schneider 60XL (wicked sharp even at 5.2 microns) has an image circle of 120mm. Not quite there, but very well may be close enough.

Shashin

Not really. Their are 4x5 lenses that would have plenty of resolution as well as the focal length and image circle.

markymarkrb

BTW, you will need to shift your lens 33.5mm left and right to get your 1:3 frame with an IQ180. You will also need an image circle of 127.5mm, preferably larger.[/QUOTE]

Is there a tech camera and lens that is capable of moving 35.5mm to the left and right?

gerald.d

Seems to me that this would clearly require pan-stitching to get the best possible quality image (assuming you'd want to maximise the potential of the size of the IQ180 sensor).

I've been meaning to start a thread on this very subject for ages. Hopefully will get around to it in the next day or so :)