The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Filter System

torger

Can resin filters really be trusted? I've played around some more with my Hitech resin grads which is supposed to be "good quality", but I can't say I'm impressed.

Look at this 100% crop:

http://torger.dyndns.org/resin-blur.jpg

Looking more closely it seems like my soft edge filter has a blurry band on it close to the transition (vertical in that example picture), while the HE filter seems ok (so far...)

Perhaps Lee resin filters are better, but "hand-dipped" does not really sound like the utmost optical quality to me...

This somehow feels like the old thing buying too cheap a tripod and upgrading several times before getting to one that really is sturdy enough. Maybe it is best to jump to Schneider glass grad filters directly?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Never hard a quality problem with LEE filters. The only issue I've had is making sure that you don't scratch them and also to ensure that with grads that there is no slackness in the filter holder so that a filter can slip out.

Lars

Forget glass filters. Extra weight, fragile, costly, no optical advantage over Lee filters. Get a full Lee set instead, plus spares.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I would recommend you purchase the Schneider landscape kit, which includes a modified LEE filter holder that allows the use of glass or resin filters. They change it so it only has 2 slots instead of 3 (sort of a negative) but the slots are large enough to accommodate glass filters from them as well as Tiffen, and they add a set screw to tighten down on glass filters. I think it's a good change, and I use a combination of Lee grads as well as the Tiffen ND/IR filters (glass) and 1 Schneider glass grad (which comes with the landscape kit).

The Lee filters are very good, but seem a little fragile. That being said I have no scratches on mine. I don't think "hand dipping" them has any negative affect on their optical quality after watching the video on how they are made ... they seem very thorough in testing their product from beginning to end.

Last edited:

AndyPtak

Speaking of filters.

How does everyone use a Grad filter on a Tech Camera? Hit and miss, or are there some good rules of thumb?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Speaking of filters.

How does everyone use a Grad filter on a Tech Camera? Hit and miss, or are there some good rules of thumb?
I can't speak for others but I eyeball it and review on the LCD of my IQ160. I also use soft vs hard grads more often with my Alpa to avoid the obvious issues related to misplacing a hard grad and leaving an obvious line. That said, the shoot/review works ok most of the time and I can generally get it pretty much right after a couple of shots.

dchew

If the conditions are right live view helps. Otherwise shoot/review, which is completely different than hit and miss. Hit and miss takes no talent or technical ability. Shoot/review on the other hand, takes a very high degree of skill.

:)

Dave

Lars

I would recommend you purchase the Schneider landscape kit, which includes a modified LEE filter holder that allows the use of glass or resin filters. They change it so it only has 2 slots instead of 3 (sort of a negative) but the slots are large enough to accommodate glass filters from them as well as Tiffen, and they add a set screw to tighten down on glass filters. I think it's a good change, and I use a combination of Lee grads as well as the Tiffen ND/IR filters (glass) and 1 Schneider glass grad (which comes with the landscape kit).

The Lee filters are very good, but seem a little fragile. That being said I have no scratches on mine. I don't think "hand dipping" them has any negative affect on their optical quality after watching the video on how they are made ... they seem very thorough in testing their product from beginning to end.
Some years ago I had two glass grads, got them based on some unsubstantiated idea in my mind that "glass would be better than plastic". Both broke. I've yet to break or significantly scratch a Lee filter. I'm still using the same batch of Lee grads I had for two years of fairly extreme travel photography, including dust and sand storms, pouring rain, and -15C conditions. So from my experience, glass is far more fragile. Just be slightly careful with the Lees and they last many years.

fotografz

Some years ago I had two glass grads, got them based on some unsubstantiated idea in my mind that "glass would be better than plastic". Both broke. I've yet to break or significantly scratch a Lee filter. I'm still using the same batch of Lee grads I had for two years of fairly extreme travel photography, including dust and sand storms, pouring rain, and -15C conditions. So from my experience, glass is far more fragile. Just be slightly careful with the Lees and they last many years.
I'd tend to agree with Lars based on experience.

I've had my Lee system for well over 10 years. This includes a vast array of filter types from tints to grads to net sets and NDs. Used to use them extensively with my film cameras, especially the Hasselblad V cameras. Less so now, but still use them from time to time. All of them are still pristine. I keep them in their pouches and treat them as I would any filter, glass or plastic. Air bulbs and Pec-Pads are your friend.

The only other heavily used effex filter I use is set of screw-in Zeiss Softars. They are also plastic.

-Marc

GMB

Just to update folks: i got the Lee system with 2 stop reisin hard and soft grads, the big stopper, and a 3 stop glass ND. I am noew for 2 weeks in the Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier to "test" the system. Many thanks again to all who chimed in with helpful advice.

kdphotography

Georg, Did you find a new source for Lee Filters? It seems that the Lee Big Stopper is on intergalactic back order....

Have a great trip!

ken

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
While I agree on the glass filters, the main reason I opted for the Schneider kit (i have the full Lee system) is the holder will handle my Tiffen NDIR glass filters, which I use much more frequently than I do the grads. I have a 4 stop and a 6 stop and use them singly or combined giving me 10 stops.

satybhat

OK, this is a very old thread, just trying to get what opinions still linger.
So for the STC / HR40, HR70, phaseone 80 and 120 TC, would the sev5n system from Lee suffice, or should I go for the 100 system ? Any other options for long exposures and grads ?
thanks

Ken_R

I am thinking about getting a filter system for the S2, in particular gradual ND, ND, and perhaps big stopper (I already have screw in polarizers). I am looking at the Lee system or the Schneider 4x5.6 system. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Hi, I have the schneider. The filters are superb. The holder is actually a schneider modified LEE holder, which is very nice, so the adapter rings and the holder system is similar, just modified to be able to hold the thicker schneider filters.

I really recommend it. I use it on the 40mm HR and 70mm HR and it allows basically full shift on the lenses for when I want to make panos.

satybhat

Hi, I have the schneider. The filters are superb. The holder is actually a schneider modified LEE holder, which is very nice, so the adapter rings and the holder system is similar, just modified to be able to hold the thicker schneider filters.

I really recommend it. I use it on the 40mm HR and 70mm HR and it allows basically full shift on the lenses for when I want to make panos.
Schneider Lee 4" Filter Holder w 77mm w A Ring Auth Schneider Dealer 94 250000 | eBay

is this the one ?

I use the Schneider 4" filters and they are great. The Platinum IRND filters exhibit less color cast than my Lee Big Stopper. I have the 4 stop and 7 stop IRND along with a 3 stop GND plus the Schneider modified holder. Sadly, they are expensive, but I didn't like the idea of putting a resin filter in front of my Leica S lenses and I couldn't find any better option.