The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar eMotion 75 - any infos appreciated

Stefan Steib

I am getting an eMotion 75 (latest version) for a very good price and will use it as a demounit for my HCam-B1 ( and private ProTL + RZ PRO II ).
The charme of this is the adapter system, the chip has a reasonable size so our wideangle stuff will show it´s value and the image quality is not so bad either.

I already have the 3 Brummbär sofware tools and the manual as PDF.
I also read a lot on it from back around 2008/2009 and I think this will make a great system for a budget.

Any hints, things to look for, specialties, tricks ,

And yes I also contacted Thierry about it, he probably knows more than most or anyone. But I´d like to hear from people who actually used it in the field or studio.

TIA

Stefan

Steve Hendrix

I am getting an eMotion 75 (latest version) for a very good price and will use it as a demounit for my HCam-B1 ( and private ProTL + RZ PRO II ).
The charme of this is the adapter system, the chip has a reasonable size so our wideangle stuff will show it´s value and the image quality is not so bad either.

I already have the 3 Brummbär sofware tools and the manual as PDF.
I also read a lot on it from back around 2008/2009 and I think this will make a great system for a budget.

Any hints, things to look for, specialties, tricks ,

And yes I also contacted Thierry about it, he probably knows more than most or anyone. But I´d like to hear from people who actually used it in the field or studio.

TIA

Stefan

Stefan - do you have the LV version? The 75LV improved the LCD screen and also the ISO performance and Live View (if I recall), perhaps some other enhancements. Not a bad "core" of a product, it remains the only digital back that offered on board storage (6GB's), decent (for the time period) 2.2" OLED screen, same sensor as Aptus 75/DM-33. I have the PDF manual here if that helps, though you've probably already grabbed that.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Stefan Steib

Hi Steve

Yes that´s the LV - it is pretty new only about 3 or 4 years old.

I´m looking to make this a rental system too, so people can try this out with the HCam. The HCam uses the same AFD mount so also the customers backs can be used if needed.

I even think the chip is small enough to allow the Nikon 14-24mm to cover fully (I still need to try and cut one....)

Regards
Stefan

Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve

Yes that´s the LV - it is pretty new only about 3 or 4 years old.

I´m looking to make this a rental system too, so people can try this out with the HCam. The HCam uses the same AFD mount so also the customers backs can be used if needed.

I even think the chip is small enough to allow the Nikon 14-24mm to cover fully (I still need to try and cut one....)

Regards
Stefan

Yes, if it will cover a P25/45, then it will cover a Sinar 75LV.

Oh, I almost forgot, among other interesting aspects of this product, it was one of the very few (only?) digital backs to offer a Neon (!) option for in-camera white balance setting!

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Stefan Steib

Yes, if it will cover a P25/45, then it will cover a Sinar 75LV.

Oh, I almost forgot, among other interesting aspects of this product, it was one of the very few (only?) digital backs to offer a Neon (!) option for in-camera white balance setting!

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Even better ! Cool ! I was also thinking of sooner or later remove the Bluegreen Filter from it, I certainly would not do it with some 20-30k backs but for this money I´m paying, this will be the perfect candidate.

Anyone experiences from the field- specialties ? Didn´t Graham say he´s (or was?) shooting one ? ???

TIA
Stefan

Paratom

I had and used one with a Hy6 and an Artec camera (now use a S2).
The Sinar software works fine but you have to get used to the user interface.
White shading works very well with this SW.

I really liked the back and found IQ very good up to even ISO 800.
The skin tones of this sensor are great and I have to admit I slightly prefered the sensor over the Kodak sensor of my S2.
You can also convert the images to DNG and then open them in Adobe if you want.

prakash

I have used the eMotion 75LV for architectural work for 3-4 years and it is efficient and robust with great product support from Sinar. The updated LCD's allows the back to be used untethered and check focus in the field (the screen is smaller than the Aptus 10/12 series but the resolution seems similar) and the power management is quite efficient........can almost shoot all day on one battery in normal conditions.

I have used this back on a Cambo RS with adapter plates that can be matched to multiple MFD systems ( Hasselblads, Contax, HY6/Afi, etc). My favorite on the Cambo RS is the HY6r adapter....this rotating adapter plate lets you go from portrait/landscape
with removing the back from the camera.

Tethered shooting is simple using Sinar eXposure v.7 and the shading file (LCC) function
in eXposure is very well thought out and efficient for a DNG workflow.

Nice back that can produce beautiful files with both hardware and software flexibility.

Stefan Steib

Prakash

thanks for your report. Yes , besides the mainstream Phase, Leaf and Blad stuff, the Sinar and especially their Jenoptik built backs are underrated workhorses.The adapter system is a pretty unique feature, why aren´t others doing this ?
It is interesting thought that Sinar has lost most of it´s market share during the last years. Is there anything that others want to tell about this obvious fact ?

Regards
Stefan

baudolino

Stefan, as per the PM that I sent to you this week, I strongly suggest that you use Captureshop 6.1 for conversion of raw images from the back. The Brumbaer tools are no longer supported and I had a problem with tiny white spots in my images when I used Brumbaer (not sure if these were dead pixels or what but Captureshop eliminated them automatically). When I contacted Sinar support about this problem they just told me to use Captureshop. On the other hand, I agree with Tom's suggestion above to use Captureshop only to convert to DNG and then process in LR. That's what I did when I used the back with the Hy6. Regards, Martin

Stefan Steib

Have gotten the back now, but it needs some work. In the meantime- what is the largest size CF Card supported by it ? And - the Sinar batteries are crazy expensive - any alternatives ? The charger is a normal Sony NP-F550 compatible, but the batteries are special ones, a bit less voluminous than the original NP-F´s.

then-the RZ adapter is also rotating(by the RZ mechism?) or does this only apply to the HY6 rotating adapter.

TIA
Stefan

yaya

Google Varta V290 for the battery there's plenty of replacements available, the better ones should have 2000mAh capacity

Yair

rhsu

what is the largest size CF Card supported by it ?

then-the RZ adapter is also rotating(by the RZ mechism?) or does this only apply to the HY6 rotating adapter.

TIA
Stefan
I'm using SanDisk 32GB + internal DB SSD storage.

Regarding rotating adapter, I use the HY6 adapter with my WRS interface plate with minor modification with the Cambo interface plate (ie removing the red release button... so the HY6 could rotate clear pass the release button).

I have used P45+ batteries ONLY to get myself out of troubles, as Sinar strongly advised not to use generic ones (likewise with Phaseone instruction with their DBs).

cheers
Richard

Steve Hendrix

I'm using SanDisk 32GB + internal DB SSD storage.

Regarding rotating adapter, I use the HY6 adapter with my WRS interface plate with minor modification with the Cambo interface plate (ie removing the red release button... so the HY6 could rotate clear pass the release button).

I have used P45+ batteries ONLY to get myself out of troubles, as Sinar strongly advised not to use generic ones (likewise with Phaseone instruction with their DBs).

cheers
Richard

The main issue I've run into is that some of the generic batteries are just ever so slightly altered physically and can get stuck. I have had to glue objects to the bottom of a 3rd party battery to extract them. Even when measuring the battery and seemingly being smaller dimensions all the way around. It's a very tight fit.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Stefan Steib

Thanks Guys - valuable infos as always !

Yair - a question for you about the RZ adapter. I have the Mamiya 645afd adapter for the eMotion. Doesn´t this mean I also could use either a Leaf RZ adapter or the Phase HX701 RZ ProIID adapter (there was a modification to do if I remember right ?). I have an RZ Pro II , not the D but if this means the back would work without cables on the ProIID body with the HX701 I may consider buying a D body !

TIA
Stefan

Stefan Steib

The only battery i had problems getting out of my Sinar DB was an original Sinar battery.
Philipp - I have just taken a look at your website - the stillife stuff - is that shot with an eMotion ? NICE !

Greetings from Lindenberg
Stefan

Paratom

I had some batteries written Varta on it but dont remember if the y were "original" or 3rd party. They worked well.

yaya

Thanks Guys - valuable infos as always !

Yair - a question for you about the RZ adapter. I have the Mamiya 645afd adapter for the eMotion. Doesn´t this mean I also could use either a Leaf RZ adapter or the Phase HX701 RZ ProIID adapter (there was a modification to do if I remember right ?). I have an RZ Pro II , not the D but if this means the back would work without cables on the ProIID body with the HX701 I may consider buying a D body !

TIA
Stefan
I never tried a Sinar back with our adapter...it depends on the shape of the back's interface and whether it fits into the light trap on the adapter

If you're looking for the HX adapter, get the HX705 which is mechanical so you don't need to change the body...

PeterA

I have one permanently stuck on my HY6 but occasionally use it via adaptors on a lot of MF and tech gear.

Best white shading work flow. Nice size sensor for use with wides and non of the hassles of the bigger chips.

Dislike the hassle of using expose to convert to DNG - love the colour accuracy of the files - linear. Nothing to complain about ..

Pete