The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newest MFD member....

pesto

Thanks Graham, that is what I thought but this does seem a bit counterintuitive to me. I would have thought that the collar would be more supportive and better ballanced; but shall certainly give it a try.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
My own personal finding was that there was a difference between the two copies of the 300mm that I owned. The first one which was an ex-rental lens didn't really perform that well unless it was used without the collar, and also only if I had a 4+ second mirror lockup delay before releasing.

The second new lens worked better with the tripod mount from RRS, particularly if I used a mirror lock up delay.

They both worked better with some damping on them via either long lens technique with your hand or a bean bag on top. My Nikon 200-400VR was the same on my D3x btw.

Neither worked as well with the tripod collar alone.