The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

question for CFV or 503cwd users

T

tetsrfun

The cwd Kit with the 40 is not available here in Germany for such a price ;(

In Germany the price for a new cfvII is about 20-30% higher than that for a new P20+, or about the same as a new P21+ or a refurb P25.

The price difference for between a mint cfv (1st generation) vs a new P20+ is about 1200 € (in Germany).
What is the cost for round trip air from Germany to NY?*g* Would you be heavily taxed on the new camera gear on the return to Germany? If not, combine shopping for a new camera with a trip to the South-West US, which seems to be very popular with Germans on vacation.

Steve

Last edited:

Paratom

What is the cost for round trip air from Germany to NY?*g* Would you be heavily taxed on the new camera gear on the return to Germany? If not, combine shopping for a new camera with a trip to the South-West US, which seems to be very popular with Germans on vacation.

Steve
I answer here because it might be of interest for other people who would like to eventually buy in the US:
it seems, from what I found in theinternet, that one pays:
US-price + sales tax
when importing a camera to Germany it is something between 0 and 7 % customs fee (I think 0 for camera, nearly 7 for lenses) + 19% tax (on top of the US-rpice+ US-sales tax)

Whenever you cross a border, even a border inside Europe, the custom can check and ask you to proove, that the product has been imported correctly when it had been imported originally.

So my conclusion:
Add about 25% for customs and tax if you want to do it the "official" way + accept more trouble when you have a guarantee issue.

So in the end it might not be worth it (at least for new articles).

fotografz

The cwd Kit with the 40 is not available here in Germany for such a price ;(

In Germany the price for a new cfvII is about 20-30% higher than that for a new P20+, or about the same as a new P21+ or a refurb P25.

The price difference for between a mint cfv (1st generation) vs a new P20+ is about 1200 € (in Germany).
For roughly $1,500. USD more ... I'd get get the Phase One. The sync cord is a PITA and the source of most mis-fires with digital backs ... but a gold tipped sync cord from Paramount cords can mitigate that issue to a good degree. Get a sync cord tip reconditioner while you are at it.

The thing about the CFV that keeps it's value is that it is the ONLY fully functional digital back that can be used on a 200 series V camera. With 200 series bodies, all V lenses can be used ... including using the 500 series CF, CFi and CFE lenses as focal plane optics by setting them on the F setting to disable the leaf shutter ... or as Leaf Shutter optics by setting the 200 series camera's shutter speed ring to disable the focal plane shutter.

Paratom

any P21(+) owners here?

How good do you guys get along with the P21(+) and specially with the crop of that sensor?
Are you happy or do you often wish you would have gone for a larger sensor (p25+) for example?
Thanks, Tom

Paratom

Re: any P21(+) owners here?

How good do you guys get along with the P21(+) and specially with the crop of that sensor?
Are you happy or do you often wish you would have gone for a larger sensor (p25+) for example?
Thanks, Tom
wrong thread, sorry. is it possible to delete my last post?

Nick-T

I just read through several threads regarding the CFV and CFVII backs, including the one with the "ship"-images and the one from the "old cars".
The images are brilliant to my eye.
I have several questions regarding the CFV:

-do you think the CFV+Hassy combo does deliever better or maybe lets say different imaqe quality than lets say a phase one back on a Hasselbladbody (and assuming using same lenses)
I'd say image quality would be pretty much identical. The backs you are talking about all use Kodak chips and both Phase and Hasselblad do a very good job pulling data off those chips.

-up to which ISO is usable and how would the ISO quality compare to a P25+ (or comparable) back?
P25+ is a 22MP back and I would say probably has the edge in higher ISO, certainly allows longer exposures.

-How bright is focusing screen and how good works focusing overall with this camera/finder?
It's not that easy to focus for digital with a 500 series but a good screen really helps.
-how limited do you feel with the "small" sensor? It seems "small" if one crops to 3:2 ration but if one likes square it doesnt seem that small anymore.
I still shoot most days with a 384 (same chip as CFV) and the chip size never bothers me, I think it would though if I was doing Landscape/interiors.

I think the CFV is an excellent solution if you can cope with the 1.5 crop, and the lack of a sync cord is very nice (but perhaps not worth $1500 as Marc said).
Nick-T