The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for Tech Camera users on ability to input lens info to Back

Paul2660

When using a Tech camera on a IQ or Credo back, have others found that they would like the ability to input to the back the focal length of the lens they are using? This would allow C1 to read the information from the meta data of the file.

I realize that it's possible to manually record/write down this during the shoot, and I do, but several times I have gotten into the moment and forgotten to write down an entire series of shots. I figured that later on I could figure out which lens was in use, but when you go back to files that were shot months ago, you tend to forget. I also lost one of my notebooks with data from earlier this year.

I would like the ability to input at least the lens info to the back. This could be done with a drop down box similar to how you change the settings for the LCD brightness, focus mask etc.

I asked Steve Hendrix at Capture Integration about this the other day, and he told me that the older Leaf backs allowed this, but since Leaf moved to the Credo's it's no longer possible but he would forward it on to Phase for future consideration.

Just curious how many others would like this feature added to the IQ/Credo backs.

Thanks
Paul

Don Libby

While it would be nice info to have I've managed to live without it now for several years.

With the P45+ back I kept copious notes using a combination of paper and voice recorder. I'd note which lens was used, movement, shutter and f/stop. Somewhere along the line I stopped being concerned with the movement as I learned I could tell by the LCC. Also C1 began (or did it always) show the shutter speed. The real PIA was lens and f/stop.

Then I got the P65+ and now the IQ160. Both backs allow one to rate their image files with one to five stars. My normal workflow now is to use the rating to tell me which lens used (1 star 35mm, 2 stars 72mm, and 3 stars 120mm). I'll use the rating on the first file used (normally the LCC) then forget about it until or unless I switch lenses. Once I load the files onto C1 I then batch rate all files to the lens used.

This leaves me without the f/stop information. Most of my work is done at either f/8 or f/11 and of the 2 I use f/11 the most so I've decided I really don't need to make note of the f/stop unless I go outside of my normal workflow. My normal landscape will be either f/11 or f/8 unless I run into an unusual set of conditions. I also like to "smoke" water which will make me use settings somewhat outside my normal workflow; when I do, I make a note just as soon as possible. I've stopped carrying the recorder and instead keep a small notepad in both my pack and truck.

While having the additional information would be nice to have I can't see how it would happen without some sort of major upgrade in the way the back talks to the lens.

Don

Paul2660

Don:

Good points. I was looking for a firmware upgrade that allowed the user to input the data. Leaf allowed this on the older backs. It would have to be a menu driven drop down like the other menus on the IQ. No real communication would be going on with the back and lens, it still be up to the user to remember to make the setting.

I agree on the copious notes, but somehow I misplaced my note book that had about 3 months worth of data. I had started creating a excel spreadsheet but on the early stuff had not moved the data over.

Thanks
Paul

cly

I asked Steve Hendrix at Capture Integration about this the other day, and he told me that the older Leaf backs allowed this, but since Leaf moved to the Credo's it's no longer possible but he would forward it on to Phase for future consideration.
It seems to me that Phase One is a kind of black box. You can suggest things to them, they will say, yes, very interesting, good idea - and that's it. No further feedback. You won't know if they still consider it or if they dropped it.
(I discussed this with two P1 people a long time ago.)

<rant>
There are quite a few things which could be easily improved for those of us using tech cams but when you actually talk to certain Phase One people you wonder if they have ever seen a tech cam. Last time I suggested to provide batch processing of LCCs in C1, so you don't have to wait until the LCC analysis for each and every of your white shots is done, they suggested to use different lenses to get rid of white shots. And when I mentioned the handy feature of dust 'removal' via LCC, I got the advise to clean the sensor a bit more often. No, i'm not kidding.
</rant>

Chris

kdphotography

Taking notes or using a small digital voice recorder----gets old really fast, and sometimes you just don't have the time to take those notes. Don's "star-rating" system provides a workaround, albeit limited. I wouldn't mind having the ability to make a few small notations alongside the star rating screen on the digital back... but then again I can also see myself rushing through and/or forgetting to use that function... :facesmack:

Consistency in practice and workflow is my "workaround" for now which works as long as I don't deviate....

ken