The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

hcubell

True! But I have a decent investment already in Phase/Mamiya lenses:

28mm
45mm
80mm
75-150mm
200mm f/2.8 APO
300mm f/2.8 APO
2x TC
Well, you are already in up to your eyeballs. Might as well jump off the cliff completely and move to the H platform.

etrump

I heard from a pretty reputable source that there will be a new mirrorless rangefinder style camera announced next month by Hasselblad. Specs include a double wide 35mm FF sensor with 60MP, no anti-alias filter and capable of ISO 25600. Basically a 2x6 format digital X-PAN with great low light capability a 50mm kit lens for $7500 US. Sensor by Sony body by Fuji.

Of course that is all BS but just about the only thing that would revive hasselblad's profitability and get me excited enough to spend $10k on a totally new format!

B

Bengt Nyman

A new Hasselblad rangefinder camera without accurate image sensor autofocus would be very disappointing. An extreme format that limits the camera to landscape would add to the disappointment.

The fact that they are talking about a competitive ISO range suggests that they are aiming higher than that. I wouldn't mind a reasonably wide format with an innovative viewer and a pinpoint autofocus pan and indicator.

Last edited:

Pingang

With the new investor he Hasselblad could have fresh capital to do so although not sure how effective it will, hope it will be similar that of H4X that accepts most H backs - Hasselblad or not.

Pingang

If Hasselblad has anything coming out that is not related to their H system, I suspect Fuji would be the people to design and build it. I suspect Hasselblad doesn't have the money to invest in a new platform from scratch.

fotografz

Yes, I'm excited.

As they say in the car commercials ... "Sumptins Up!". Basically Hasselblad has gone dark ... very little news, except good deal promotions, price reductions and trade values that conspicuously end on September 18th ... the first day of Photokina. :)

That, and the invitation wording, coupled with the additional rumors, tends to bode well for something indeed being up.

Seems like a totally integrated camera with EVF and elimination of the mirror box and all that left-over stuff from the film age. The big question will be how well the EVF works (if that's what is used).

Sounds like camera size will only be dictated by the sensor size and the lens coverage for that sensor. Hope there is an adapter to use H lenses on it.

If they do something like this, I wonder what will come of the current H line-up? Maybe eliminate the smaller sensor cameras and keep producing the high meg ones until those shift over to mirrorless.

Not to long to wait now ... just a little over a month and we'll know one way or another.

My "Gear War Chest" is ready! I ain't buying anything until the Fat Lady Sings at Photokina :ROTFL:

-Marc

Quentin_Bargate

It may need at least 40mp to be interesting. The D800/E makes that a necessity.

When a company as distinguished as Hassy launches an entirely new product (assuming the rumours are true) it would be pretty odd not to be interested, excited even, would it not?

I wonder who would make the sensor? Presumably Sony.

KeithL

Sounds like camera size will only be dictated by the sensor size and the lens coverage for that sensor. Hope there is an adapter to use H lenses on it.
If it happens I'd also hope for a range of compact, lightweight, dedicated lenses.

fotografz

When a company as distinguished as Hassy launches an entirely new product (assuming the rumours are true) it would be pretty odd not to be interested, excited even, would it not?

I wonder who would make the sensor? Presumably Sony.
Rumors place it at higher than 40 meg ... like 60 or something. Well see. Even if 40 meg, it is still supposed to be double the size of a 35mm sensor if the rumors are right.

Hasselblad's new owners are European, and specialize in hi-tech venture capital investments. There are semiconductor companies in Europe that some say are the possible source of both upcoming Hasselblad and Leica CMOS sensors ... who knows? Hasselblad does have the digital know-how as a legacy of Imacon, so it should be interesting at the very least.

-Marc

fotografz

If it happens I'd also hope for a range of compact, lightweight, dedicated lenses.
Keith, if the camera comes with a 50mm as mentioned in some rumor mills, I'd suspect your wish will be realized ... I'm just hoping the H lenses can be adapted for a more seamless transition in the meantime. They did that with legacy V lenses with an adapter to make it a bit easier to go H.

Such an adapter would seem to be a lot easier to engineer compared to the kinda clunky CF Adapter since the focus would be at the sensor and there is no mirror ... if it is a shutterless camera I wonder if sync speed with strobes/flash will be all speeds? Hard to get your mind around all the possibilities :bugeyes:

-Marc

Quentin_Bargate

What makes this all so interesting is how such a new camera would interract with the H series, which Hassy would presumably want to remain their top of the line offering. A more compact 50 or 60mp mirrorless camera would surely risk gouging their own H series market. Difficult ballancing act.

KeithL

I've a feeling they would want to keep the price as competitive as possible to attract a wide audience which may well mean a lower MP sensor. 40MP?

B

Bengt Nyman

The market is clearly ready for a competitive 40+MP mirrorless, autofocus camera with decent ISO performance. It does not have to be a sports photographers dream, but it should be a $5000-6000, top IQ, studio and landscape camera body.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
What makes this all so interesting is how such a new camera would interract with the H series, which Hassy would presumably want to remain their top of the line offering. A more compact 50 or 60mp mirrorless camera would surely risk gouging their own H series market. Difficult ballancing act.
In my opinion when you have a niche product with a small percent of the overall potential market share the risk of cannibalizing your product line is small compared to the potential of expanding your share of the market.

The greater consideration in a small company is that you only have a limited amount of personel bandwidth, and there are almost always more ideas and potential products than resources available to pursue them. So the question is if you can only pursue a handful of projects which ones should you pursue?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The market is clearly ready for a competitive 40+MP mirrorless, autofocus camera with decent ISO performance. It does not have to be a sports photographers dream, but it should be a $5000-6000, top IQ, studio and landscape camera body.
The market is also ready for a $100 3D camera that weighs an ounce, has an ISO range of 1 to 1 million, and comes with a remote controlled espresso machine.

The question is more pointedly what is R+D ready to offer :).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Depends.

When Leica announced the S2 I was excited, regardless of my job/position/politics. I love seeing new bodies that are interesting and bring something new to the table.

On the other hand when Leica announced they would be having someone else manufacturer a point and shoot, slap their logo on it, and call it a Leica in a transparent attempt to trade off their brand awareness to artificially inflate the price I couldn't have cared less, even if it was an "entirely new product".

So, show me the product, and then I'll tell you if I'm excited about it. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm with Doug on this show me the money honey otherwise its a yawner. Give me some meat to look at not the fat.

Give me something to go beg my banker about getting some real money or inspire me enough to make a new ski mask. My knitting has slowed way down. Lol

Shashin

So this is what I want and this is how much I want to pay for it. Naturally, if the camera companies did that, it would be a hit and would be exactly what the market wants. Lets forget the realities for camera manufacturing and its cost--price is so abstract. And all I have to do is tell the manufacturer what they should do with their technology because you can make anything happen with firmware. All you need is someone outside the industry to come up with the brilliant idea--the engineers can just implement it, after all, they just have to add a simple piece of code.

All I need is the perfect camera in order to make the perfect photographs.

This post has been brought to you by the Reality TV Network.