The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

MikeHlop

Hi All,

That's my first post here, so, I'll briefly introduce myself for start :) I'm an amateur photographer, shooting MF and LF for quite a while and together with film photography have some experience shooting MFDB - starting, from Imacon V96C, Leaf Aptus 65 and currently a proud owner of H4D-50

The issue here is the definition of "design" - Hasselblad gave the "requirements specifications": focal length, speed, size, price, usable for the central shutter (which is not made by Fuji) and certain quality requirements. Then Fuji designs and manufactures the lenses.
That is not design - that is specification. Here is Hasselblad definition of design:
While previously Carl Zeiss engineered everything including the shutter, lens design today is a collaborative effort between Hasselblad and Fujinon, with Hasselblad gradually assuming a larger role. For example, work on the latest addition to the HC lens portfolio, the HCD 4/28, started out in Gothenburg, Sweden. Using powerful software for optical design, the characteristics of the new lens could be explored in great detail well before any glass was ground. Fujinon in Saitama City, Japan, then took up the task of refining the lens design and building a prototype series that was put through its paces at Fujinon’s and Hasselblad’s lab.
Source: http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/1663143/the_evolution_of_lenses.pdf

BANKER1

Thank you Mike. Often, posters to this site like to torc us up by constantly referring to Fuji as if they designed, manufactured, marketed, etc., etc. You and I understand specifications and design. As a very long time owner of Hasselblad equipment, I understand the quality and build of the 500 series. That quality extends to the H series Hasselblads even though many vocal detractors will tell you differently. Don't get me wrong, I have my issues with Hasselblad, but I take it up with the company and not on the forums.

Greg

MikeHlop

I can not disagree Greg ;)

Besides, imagine for a moment that Fuji does design for Hasselblad. What's wrong with that? There are well know large format Fujinon lenses as well as there are well known MF cameras made by Fuji. And as an argument of last resort - trust your own eyes. Could any of these people say that results, produced HC lenses, aren't good?

bensonga

Honestly, I haven't been following this thread very closely, because I don't hold much hope that "the rumor" will be one I'm really interested in.

So before I read all the comments in this thread to figure it out, could someone just tell me.....is the "rumor"....Hasselblad will produce a full frame square digital back? :clap:

You know what I'm dreaming of....a 6x6cm sensor. :thumbs:

Gary
CFV-16II....nice enough, but it could be better

bensonga

Just as I figured.....

No CFV full frame square. No Leica R10.

I'm striking out on all fronts.

My last best hope, Apple releases an iPad Mini with a 60mp full square sensor camera taking Leica R lenses.

If anyone can do it, Apple can. ;)

G.

fotografz

What's a camera company to do? :)

On one hand there are the folks that long for the old days ... when gas was 25¢ a gallon, kids ducked under their desk whenever there was a bright flash of light, everyone feared polio, and Hasselblad made the V camera.

On the other hand, there are folks that need/want/desire more. Like the AF, fast handiing modular H camera.

On one hand there is the never ending lament for a full frame square sensor to work with the V, on the other hand there is the wailing cry of how expensive most 645 MFD is. Can you imagine what a 56 X 56 sensor would cost? I'd speculate that the very folks dreaming of a fuil frame square sensor are the very ones that wouldn't pony up the staggering cost that one would have to pay for it.

On one hand there are those that speculate how Hasselblad makes their gear as if it were fact ... on the other hand there are the facts as Mike pointed out straight from the horses mouth in Sweden ... but as usual, facts play second fiddle to emotional longings for the old days.

I had the good fortune to run both V and H systems at the same time for a good while... and less of a personal fortune due to it ;) Using the CF adapter I was able to do extensive real world tests of the Hasslblad H and Zeiss lenses, including the CFE 40IF, on the same 39 meg camera. Once completed, I sold all of the V gear and every Zeiss lens. As someone mentioned earlier, trust your eyes.

Hopefully, Hasselblad will continue their innovative ways into the future and bring us more of what is possible like they have done with True Focus APL, ect.

If I were to speculate anything, it would be to bet they will do just that. :thumbs:

-Marc

B

Bengt Nyman

Gary,
About a month ago Hasselblad announced that on 18 September 2012 they will be introducing an "almost" medium format mirror-less camera. It was mentioned that the format would be 2xFF. Interpreted literally this could mean 36x48 mm. It was also mentioned that this new Hasselblad camera would have a sensor by Sony and other content by Fuji. Further details, including resolution, ISO and more were not specified leaving lots of room for speculation.

B

Bengt Nyman

This is as close as I can get to traces of the original press release:

--- July 24, 2012
Hasselblad sending invitations for September 18 Photokina press conference

Hasselblad is sending invitations for a Tuesday September 18, 2012 press conference at Photokina in Cologne/Koln, Germany. The first two paragraphs have the meat:

"In 2002 at photokina Hasselblad launched the revolutionary H System that changed and shaped the medium format market of the new millennium. Embraced by professional and amateur photographers around the world, it is still the unsurpassed standard for craftsmanship and ultimate image quality.

In 2012, 10 years later, our commitment to innovation, evolution and expanding to new horizons is as uncompromising as it has always been in the century long history of Hasselblad." ---

End of compound quote.

Other sources have quoted more details, the validity of which remain unknown. For hard facts and possible disappointments I'm afraid we have to wait until September 18.

Shashin

Hasselblad has simply said it would show something new on September 18. The digital Xpan rumors are just people wanting a digital Xpan and is no more than speculation and desire.

KeithL

I'm as sure as can be that no announcement has ever been made by Hasselblad saying that "they will be introducing an "almost" medium format mirror-less camera".

Ben Rubinstein

Just got an email from Hasselblad UK announcing an 8 city tour in October. 'First opportunity for both Press and Photographer visitors to find out more about products which will be unveiled at Photokina'. It's got to be a body, they wouldn't be doing that for a lens.

stephengilbert

This has now come full circle. This thread began with a post about a rumor: Hasselblad announced it will announce a new product; "It is the “almost” medium format mirrorless camera?"

That speculation has now been cited for proof that Hasselblad has announced an almost medium format mirrorless camera. How many days 'til Photokina?

hcubell

This has now come full circle. This thread began with a post about a rumor: Hasselblad announced it will announce a new product; "It is the “almost” medium format mirrorless camera?"

That speculation has now been cited for proof that Hasselblad has announced an almost medium format mirrorless camera. How many days 'til Photokina?
Amazing how this can happen even in the context of a relatively short, written thread.

I am still scratching my [bald] head about this one. Nobody has shown a communication from Hasselblad about any hint of what the product may be, yet people seem to want a mirrorless solution from them.