The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Swissblad

Quite frankly I would welcome a digital Xpan based on the new Fuji X-E1:
Die kleine Schwester kommt: X-E1 von Fujifilm | photoscala
(so that Stefan can also read it...:) )

I don't see any issue in "re-badging" etc.

Leica used Minolta zoom lenses for their R series: 70-200mm and 35-70mm come to mind.

Didn't bother too many R users.

Many Swiss watches use the same movement - doesn't really bother the end user.

Fuji lenses have always been valued for their excellent optics - long may this collaboration with HB continue.

Stefan Steib

Building a user base with as many lenses sold as possible and postitioning a premium product on top of the camera line (even if it´s in another brand - see toyota-lexus, mercedes-AMG .....) has several adavantages:
The costs for both go down. The image of the lower priced product is lifted. The technology for the highend product can be on par(featurewise as the entry offer) plus some features that can be "field tested" in the high end.

If they will do it, I would say : GOOD ! Because this will ensure survival of the MF part also which now can breath from the lowend and get money to devellop the premium products (MF) for keeping the image up !

Regards
Stefan

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Quite frankly I would welcome a digital Xpan based on the new Fuji X-E1.
I somehow very much doubt that this would ever happen but if it did my wallet is sitting here open and ready to own one. I would buy a digital XPan in a heartbeat.

dogstarnyc

didn't the Casio or something get rebadged as a Leica 3 something...?

I had one, thought it was great, lens was sharp, then I saw the grain in the red channel... OMG it was horrible... I had been shooting Fuji DSLR's (way ahead of everyone in terms of grain).

The Leica was a badge, a show off toy and had a sensor that was below Leica's standards however....

Many many new buyers came forth...

A revised, tweaked Fuji Xpro with a panoramic format rebadged as a Hasselblad xPan-D would bring them cash... and quickly, especially if it shot in DNG format.

If Fuji had to wait 6 months before they could release it even better.

I don't know why People poo-poo Fuji, their cameras have always been great... software in the DSLR's a few years back..maybe not, similar to the Xpro's annoyances but they make great high quality cameras.

Hasselbald could be on to something here... if they haven't done this then they should, just like someone should buy the 'Contax' brand name and make a cool solid point and shoot 4/3rds camera... G2-D anyone...?

S

markymarkrb

I am going to go ahead and make a prediction on this one. I think Hasselblad will indeed issue a new line of cameras H5D that will all have the stainless steel finish. NO one has made the comment yet that I have seen but when Hasselblad released the H$D stainless, they said this:

"Introducing the H4D-40 Stainless Steel.
A limited production run of 100 unique cameras that are a shining example of things to come."

I think Hasselblad's new H5D line up will all Have stainless steel finishes.

2. I think that Hasselblad's acquisition by Ventizz Captial Fund has given them the funds they needed to pay Fujifilm to build them the digital XPAN. i think that Fuji's quick introduction of the X-E1 fits really nicely into this theory because they are now offering the sensor of the X-Pro1 in a cheaper version of the XE1. This will give them room to introduce a new XPRO 1 shall I say XPRO2? The new digital XPAN will be a huge leap over any of the FUJI mirror-less cameras by having an expanded X TRANS sensor equivalent to the size of two Full-Frame sensors having roughly 65 megapixels. This introduction will allow FUJI to quickly introduce a Full frame XTRANS X-PRO 2 right on the heels of the Hasselblad XPAN. I don't think Hasselblad will allow for a completely rebadged 'same camera" sale like the original XPAN and Fuji TX-1 but some of the technology will obviously be shared.

3. Not related to this post, I think Phase One will replace the 645DF with both a mirrorless and mirrored cameras These cameras will have a far better focussing system like True Focus but will also be able to calculate Focus Stacking for help with landscape work working more closely with the IQ line of digital backs.

These are just my thoughts. I know I am making a lot of assumptions and anyone can shoot holes through my theories but that is the fun of it right? Photokina Madness! I am excited.

GrahamWelland

I like the idea of an XPan style of panoramic camera but I fear that these days the market is small and you could very easily argue that either cropping or combining images meets that need more cheaply and easier given the high MP available and processing technology. With film combining shots was a lot harder to achieve but now ...

As regards Phase One - I do hope that they take the opportunity to be radical about adopting digital capture and not be conservatively tied to film camera modes and incremental changes. Auto bracketing For DR and focus stacking AF are a couple of areas where they could make high end digital capture more productive and be an industry changer. I fear however that they'll just stick to more incremental improvements in their camera system to address the needs of the fashion and studio photographers. I sense that landscape folks are a low priority for them given their development work with the AFD / DF to date. I really really hope that I'm proven wrong.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
Auto bracketing For DR and focus stacking AF are a couple of areas where they could make high end digital capture more productive and be an industry changer.
Graham,
I have been waiting for a long time to see these features in a Sony or Nikon camera, I'm sure someday these companies will get it.

________
Manouch

GrahamWelland

Manouch

You wouldn't think that these would be that hard in any camera these days would you? It is frustrating that companies just don't 'get it'!

Trust me, if I ruled the world every camera would have this plus an intervalometer, optional dark frame subtraction/LENR, tru-focus, built in GPS, plus a wireless remote control feature with image review on any tablet. But hey, that's just me :D

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
The technical part and artistic part of photography is in our hands but when it comes to the science part of photography, these companies follow the advice of their marketing departments, and what the photographers have in mind is their last concern.
Even the slightest improvement that might be easily possible with a firmware update remains for a new model.
_______
Manouch

fotografz

Anyone who is really curious about what Photokina will bring should have a look at the Hasselblad pre-Photokina shoot on Hasselblad tv :bugeyes:

Frans Rutten

Portfolio
Frans, I see nothing in that video that indicates anything new. The only odd thing is what appears to be a Broncolor transmitter in the hotshoe that is hard-wired to the camera (????).

Maybe the "Black Panther" means an all black camera ;)

Whatever Hasselblad presents at Photokina later this month, it will indicate what influence the new 100% owners will be having in future. Whether their money and guidance got there in time to impact this Photokina remains to be seen.

-Marc

fotografz

The technical part and artistic part of photography is in our hands but when it comes to the science part of photography, these companies follow the advice of their marketing departments, and what the photographers have in mind is their last concern.
Even the slightest improvement that might be easily possible with a firmware update remains for a new model.
_______
Manouch
I don't agree with this Manouch, at least of late. If improvements can be done with Firmware updates, Hasselblad has tended to make it available for both current and previous models. For example, when the firmware bumped up the top ISO for the current model, it was also available for previous models. All of the 31 and 39 meg backs enjoyed a one stop boost to 1600 and 800 respectively. When the newer H4D/60 received the double resolution LCD and e-spirit level, it was also made available on the existing H4D/50 and H4D/40.

Features that are hardware based, like going from a fan cooled back to a heat-sink, or a larger LCD, or TF/APL are exceptions of course.

-Marc

jduncan

Frans, I see nothing in that video that indicates anything new. The only odd thing is what appears to be a Broncolor transmitter in the hotshoe that is hard-wired to the camera (????).

Maybe the "Black Panther" means an all black camera ;)

Whatever Hasselblad presents at Photokina later this month, it will indicate what influence the new 100% owners will be having in future. Whether their money and guidance got there in time to impact this Photokina remains to be seen.

-Marc
In fact the video appears to be very bad news. Nothing truly new.
But maybe the continuos lack of light means a CMOS sensor.

In the other hand, I hope they don't "rest on their laurels" in terms of camera or Phase One will crush them.
As I said before, it's too early for the new owners to have a direct impact with a new fully Hasselblad product.

In my opinion if something truly new appears it will be:

1. The result of a partnership.
2. The reason they decided to buy.

Best regards,

James

Miller

Why not just wait and see :watch:?
Of course Hasselblad would not give away any clou about a new product in advance :facesmack: (sorry Marc, could not resist the temptation).

Shashin

_______
Manouch
That is just not true. The companies do care about the end user.

fotografz

In fact the video appears to be very bad news. Nothing truly new.
But maybe the continuos lack of light means a CMOS sensor.

In the other hand, I hope they don't "rest on their laurels" in terms of camera or Phase One will crush them.
As I said before, it's too early for the new owners to have a direct impact with a new fully Hasselblad product.

In my opinion if something truly new appears it will be:

1. The result of a partnership.
2. The reason they decided to buy.

Best regards,

James
It is neither good news, nor bad news. It is no news.

The "Pre-Photokina" title is a red herring. Maybe just some promo shots for the booth.

-Marc

jfvdenning

I don't think a medium format mirrorless can be done yet, evf would suck, amongst other things, batteries would be eaten up.

What I think based on their big discounts of the H4D and not the lenses is that they have made an integrated camera much like a canon DSLR or the mamiya zd, that is a new market right there if the price is double a high end canon/nikon. It seems like the next step to me.
That and most likely CMOS sensor with live view but i think the mirror is important still with medium format.

jfvdenning

They probably just want to make Aperture better, or iphoto.

If you really want to rev up your fantasy life, check out Apple hiring the former head of R&D at Capture One. What may Apple have up its sleeve?
I thought I would finally be able to take a really good photograph when the new stuff comes out at Photokina 2012. Now I have to wait till Apple makes its move.