The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just received some stuff about a H5D.... lets read it. And it is not even a H5D80 ;) A new 24mm and a new macro lens, that is nice!

H5D
Not to be a nelly negative, but it sounds like a few basic improvements with a lot of marketing hype to make them sound more like an entirely new platform...

When will these MF manufacturers -- and I guess I directly mean Phase, Leica and Hassy -- build us a really new camera platform, one with features that have been on Nikons and Canons for the last three generations at least? It's getting frustrating waiting.

BANKER1

Jack,

Think about it. Why would Hasselblad release this prior to September 18th and spoil their big announcement? Yes, the H4 is getting a little long in the tooth and needed improvements. But if you think this is all Hasselblad has to offer, I think you will be dead wrong. And Phase is YET to bring their long awaited and long overdue camera to the market. If you are correct in your assessment, many Hasselblad owners will be sorely disappointed and doubting the future of Hasselblad.

Greg

Dustbak

Not to be a nelly negative, but it sounds like a few basic improvements with a lot of marketing hype to make them sound more like an entirely new platform...

When will these MF manufacturers -- and I guess I directly mean Phase, Leica and Hassy -- build us a really new camera platform, one with features that have been on Nikons and Canons for the last three generations at least? It's getting frustrating waiting.

Somewhere earlier, I already mentioned people should not be disappointed when there will only be something like a H5D (80). This is exactly what we got.

The H4D platform already is pretty good, it simply has been improved upon.
I think many people where 'overexpecting'

I wonder if it has the battery solution....?

Well, maybe we get another surprise but I would not be surprised if this is it.

Shashin

I doubt Hasselblad would give up their "look" nor scrap their lenses. So with a defined flange distance and basic shape, what can they really do on the outside? The performance and features is where they can make improvements.

BTW, the announcement stated "evolution" not "revolution."

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
If you are correct in your assessment, many Hasselblad owners will be sorely disappointed and doubting the future of Hasselblad.

Greg
Not only will many Hasselblad shooters be disappointed, so will many Leica and Phase shooters!!! My point is the MF market as a whole needs to drastically step up their game when it comes to camera bodies, or they will loose significant market share to high-resolution full-frame DSLRs. Moreover, I will go on record saying that next year may already be too late for them to release something on par with a 2-gen old DSLR. So huge kudos to Hassy if they do indeed announce something more spectacular than the H5D; kudos to Leica if a new S3 has a brilliant predictive multi-sensor AF and mirrorless live-view; kudos to PhaseOne if they release a DF replacement with brilliant predictive, multi-sensor AF, better reliability and new body styling. Personally I am not optimistic about any of the above happening, but I hope you're correct and prove me wrong...

Shashin

Make a camera that is a joy to use and you will have customers. You can keep all your bells and whistles. Obviously the lack of AF on an Alpa TC has not hurt that company. And lets face it, an Alpa TC is just a spacer. I would not trade in my Pentax 645D for a Nikon D800. The Pentax is just too good even without Live View and the Latte machine.

What I want in a camera is a tool that gives me great results. A tool that inspires me. You can't put that into firmware.

robmac

Drastic changes to an existing platform or a course-change to an utterly new platform can be 'bet the company' moves in terms of R&D resources and market acceptance. There is more to get / go wrong than there is to get right -- be it for Hassy, Phase or anyone else.

As much as a X folks want massive 'tipping point' positive changes (as much as they'd be nice in any system) , there are many, many more who will not among pro users, rental shops, retailers. The first two will be "Economy sucks, jobs are harder to get, thinner $$ -- I can't play beta tester to the tune of $30K to get maybe, maybe marginally better pics. I know what I like to use and what performs for me (H or Phase), just make it better".

The latter are "I can 'sell' an H5D or Phase DF2 to my pro base easily as I can point to what it improves upon w/ a proven record -- some utterly new Ubercam w/101 unknowns is tougher."

Also - the more drastically you change your core platform, the more you risk polarizing acceptance -- and that opens some of your installed base to consider moving to the competition. Much better to say "...this is your H4D in black & SS, modest improvements across the board -- low risk".

Also when was that last time any camera maker -- 35mm or MF made ANY huge drastic sea-change?

The 35mm kids increase MP count and improve ISO performance. They tweak their AF systems from good, to "Why in the $%^ did they %^& with it !?" levels then back to good again. That's about it. No 35mm version of True Focus. No dual-shutter systems, no > 35mm sensors (huge installed lens base), no onboard RF control or triggering of units from a lighting partner (or even their own bloody speedlights). They tweak the basics, market it up the ying-yang and sell them hand over fist.

Yes, the high-end 35mm bodies like the 800e pose risks to MF land, but bear in the mind that the closer MF manufacturer's make their units look and feel like a larger high-end DSLR, the MORE they will be compared against same - and the more they'll need to (and maybe be unable to) justify the $$$ difference.

Anyway, just $0.05 from someone from the 35mm side of the fence who (despite the drawbacks of MF) lusts after things like TF, sync at 1600, > 35mm sensors with fat pixels and sensors you can clean w/o playing "Operation" every time.

Last edited:

Stefan Steib

Re: Hasselblad H5D Announced!

And THIS is it ?

Larger buttons and better JPG´s and a new lens..... ?
Come on this is a joke !

Pffffffffff - this is the hot air from the announcement leaving the
tension zone............

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

ptomsu

Workshop Member

And THIS is it ?

Come on this is a joke !

tension zone............

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Fully agree - just a new look and ergonomics will not really do I am sure :confused:

adaml

And THIS is it ?

Come on this is a joke !

tension zone............

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Agreed in that it looks like similarly with the H4D, the sensor remains the same with enhancements made to the camera and operating system. Even the press announcement emphasizes that it's an evolution, so nothing revolutionary here. The improved ergonomics, bigger better screen along with faster processor and potentially more reliable tethering are all enticing, however I don't think it's enough to entice me to upgrade from my H3DII. Beside image quality, workflow is perhaps equally if not more important, and it would seem that Hasselblad is responding to that with the H5D. Either way, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one at Photokina.

--
Adam Lerner | Photography | 718.219.3006

stephengilbert

These threads are interesting (up to a point). Perhaps it would be helpful to explain the basis for your complaints.

Is it that Hasselblad dropped the ball by not making a camera that has features available in Canikons, or that Hasselblad doesn't know how to make cameras? I.e., are you criticizing their business model or their product?

I thought Hasselblad made pretty good cameras. (Derek's photos always looked good to me.) Now I read that the improvements they've announced are crap. I thought ergonomics was a big deal. I guess I missed something.

fotografz

Not enough information in this pre-Photokina "soft launch." Nice hints, but I'd need some very specific info about some of the improvements ... especially stuff like AF improvements, motor-drive speed, and faster internal processors.

No mention of increase resolution on the LCD, although the current 2X res one seems fine, more would've been even better. Is the silver body portion chrome or silver paint? ... hard to tell. How much more "compact"? Etc.

No mention of my biggest wish: dual shutter :(

The H system is viable as it is and has steadily improved over time. IF it can be made faster and even more accurate, that is a good thing. Question is to what degree and at what price? I can easily remain quite satisfied with what I have, and there are competitors for my war chest which is like the "Highlander" movie ... there can be only one :) So, I'll wait to see what Leica does with the M and S and then make a decision.

At any rate, regarding Hasselblad or anyone else, I do not think we will know everything until the 18th.

-Marc

Shashin

Cameras, for all intents and purposes, are one-trick ponies. They take pictures. I have always thought Hasselblads do that very well. What more do you want? A little toaster oven on the back?

Stefan Steib

Here are two original quotes and calibration points for expectations about Hasselblad 2012:

--- "We are proud to have such an iconic brand in our portfolio and are convinced that with solid financial support and a suitable growth strategy, Ventizz can further strengthen Hasselblad's position as the first-class producer of medium-format digital camera systems. Furthermore, we plan to develop Hasselblad cameras to appeal to a wider circle of ambitious photographers,"*said Helmut Vorndran, managing partner and CEO of Ventizz Capital Partners. ---

--- Hasselblad CEO Larry Hansen said his company is looking forward to exploring "brand new markets". ---
Well Stephen,I cannot see how this is going to work.
No 80 Mpix, No CMOS, No Live view. And still pricetags that will deterre even more photographers and send them to the 35mm users camp.
And if Larry Hansen means a brand new market for larger buttons.......

I cannot even laugh about that..........

regards
Stefan

jotloob

Subscriber Member

tension zone............
Greetings from Germany
Stefan
This is only what everbody could expect or expected .
A kind of face-lift .
HASSELBLAD never let the cat out of the bag earlier than the PHOTOKINA started . No difference to any PHOTOKINA in the past .
So there are surely some more exciting things to come .