The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Douglas Fairbank

You have forgotten the Hasselblad CF adapter. Full use of the C# lenses and even includes focus confirmation. How can that be cutting support?

fotografz

Marc,
I'm happy about the H5 but I wonder how many will upgrade just for those improvements? And while this is a HB thread, I do have to comment that when you knock the Hy6 wrongly, you are probably forgetting the issues of the original H camera and indeed H2 as well. Probably the H wasn't really great until the H3. I don't shoot H but it would likely be my choice if the Rollei platform didn't exist. But still you have to look at it all truthfully. Read the posts on the Hy6 here and on LuLa. Most of the users were quite satisfied with the first version which is something you can't say about the first H body. Hasselblad is into this for 5 generations now. Comments about 'design' flaws are off base. If you want to talk about design flaws - the mamiya 645 platform is your whipping boy. There's a camera that's gone through the most design generations and still has flaws.
Upgrades are an interesting subject themselves. We have to remember that many of these cameras are working in "day-in-day-out" conditions, and are on a depreciation path of two to three years. Not all MF systems are employed by "gentlemen photographers" :).

Before semi-retiring, I was pretty much on a 2-3 year cycle ... commercial digital capture fees and depreciation usually brought it to zero, and I'd trade up to the next model whether it was a soft upgrade like the H3D to H3D-II ... or H3D-II to the more substantially different H4D, with new backs, TF and higher res LCD.

Personally, I wouldn't tag this H5 as an even semi-substantial upgrade until I actually better understand the performance enhancements ... they seem to address what I really wanted to be better, but to what degree I do not know yet. IMO, it is not a substantial one because the backs are the same and no surprise game changing technology was added like True Focus.

My HY6 comments were just answering a skewed approach with an equally skewed one ... I don't believe any of it ... they are both fine cameras in their respective categories, and just provide us with choices based on our own needs.

-Marc

fotografz

Compare to Leica, Hasselblad looks more like a dying old man. The strong come back of Leica and Nikon should teach the management of Hasselblad a good lesson, they never give up (or dump) their customers. You can still put on your aged Leica/Nikon lens to you Leica M8.9.10, or Nilon D4 body. Hasselbad totally reinvent they camera with H body, and cutting all support to V Lens, and making their faithful customers' investment totally vanished. If your customers hate you, they wou't come back. And I never see any company success by dumping their customers.
This is incorrect.

I used my V lenses for years on my H system. But don't let the facts get in the way. :)

-Marc

fotografz

Without warning too. Cold as dry ice move.
Boy, ain't that the truth. R cut off was the 2nd worst gear event in my shooting life ... the 1st being Kyocera's abrupt exit with me and others holding the Contax 645 and N bag, standing in the street in our undershorts during rush hour. Ugg. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No one is done announcing anything as far as I am concerned until at least the 3rd day of Photokinia. Starts Tuesday so until than anything is possible.

B

Bengt Nyman

Should Hasselblad have implemented half-baked (EVF) technology into their flagship camera? -Marc
Of course not !
I am not talking about Hasselblad's top of the line products.
I am suggesting that Hasselblad brings out an additional product in form of the worlds first mirrorless, XLF, mega pixel, high IQ camera system.
Why mirrorless ?
Because you can not achieve ultimate focus through a mirror and secondary sensors. Final focus must be done on the image sensor, by the image sensor.

Anders_HK

?..are on a depreciation path of two to three years..."
That may be, but... not making the investment at such time would instead result in the possible investment as earing kept.

... they seem to address what I really wanted to be better, but to what degree I do not know yet. IMO, it is not a substantial one because the backs are the same and no surprise game changing technology was added like True Focus.
In no mean did I intend a skewed view of the H, but rather point out that what is point of being sold repeat new camera when nothing substantial. Seems we should require better products from start rather than being over marketed to spend (waste) money on such replace and on learning yet another version of the camera.

Reading posts here, seems the marketing hype did not match expectations... while Hy6 Mod 2 and upgrade possibility of existing cameras came as a welcome pleasant suprise.

(Personally I like photography and am tired of testing gear)

... they are both fine cameras in their respective categories, and just provide us with choices based on our own needs.
Yes, but why did they not keep Zeiss? Fuji in all honor but Zeiss V lenses had a certain character did they not, same as Rollei zeiss and Schneider do? Not bashing but rather from point of view that it would be wishful if they provided also zeiss for H.

Frankly if Hy6 platform would cease one day (which I certainly and clearly hope not), then I will much rather look at Hassy than Mamiya! :chug:

fotografz

That may be, but... not making the investment at such time would instead result in the possible investment as earing kept.

Yes that can be a business model, and I did do that once. However, we then fell quite behind in trade value, so there was no real earnings boost to speak of ... and I was using older technology at a time when MFD needed to up its sensor size and meg game. That may well be different now that the backs are 645 and quite high resolution. For some production shooters, 2-3 years is about the limit where you can get a decent resale value because of shot count.

In no mean did I intend a skewed view of the H, but rather point out that what is point of being sold repeat new camera when nothing substantial. Seems we should require better products from start rather than being over marketed to spend (waste) money on such replace and on learning yet another version of the camera.

Also valid, but the relearning aspect is exactly why I prefer the performance aspects be improved rather than introducing a whole new camera that requires starting over. The H camera is pretty darned good as it is, and improving on it is welcome. If they also launch something else in the next few days ... great :thumbs:.

Reading posts here, seems the marketing hype did not match expectations... while Hy6 Mod 2 and upgrade possibility of existing cameras came as a welcome pleasant surprise.

IMO, many posts here layered on people's own expectations, some of which do not even exist on recent 35mm DSLRs, or read their own wishes and dreams into company PR quotes ... and then were pissed this version of the H for Photokina didn't meet them. Hasselblad's marketing presentation of the H5 is titled "The Evolution Continues" ... what does that indicate? :facesmack:

in essence, people are confusing "Conquest" with "Retention" strategies ... Hasselblad said they will be looking to new markets, and I seriously doubt this H5 evolution is the tool to do that ... but it is a good retention product ... stable, sure, and on-going. Evolutionary.

If the conquest product isn't revealed at Photokina doesn't mean they aren't working on something.

(Personally I like photography and am tired of testing gear)

Another reason I prefer evolutionary. I don't mind experimenting with new tech that cost $800-$2,000, like the NEX which I hated, or A77 which I also hated and returned 3 days later. Not really interested in dropping $20K in an experiment. I waited almost two years before getting a S2

Yes, but why did they not keep Zeiss? Fuji in all honor but Zeiss V lenses had a certain character did they not, same as Rollei zeiss and Schneider do? Not bashing but rather from point of view that it would be wishful if they provided also zeiss for H.

This is subjective. I used Zeiss for V cameras for 40 years, and continued using them on the H camera for a couple of years ... however, myth verses reality rears it head when you can actually shoot both brands of lenses on the same camera in the same light, which I did ... then sold all the Zeiss lenses. Some Zeiss were fine like the 40IF, but the imaging character of the HC100/2.2 far outweighed that of the 100/3.5CFi, as did the HC150/3.2N and there was no Zeiss 28mm. BTW, I hated the "Chrysler logo" specular highlights from the Zeiss lenses. That is a "character" I can do without.

Had Hasselblad and Zeiss continued on, who knows what may have come of it. They didn't, so we'll never know one way or another, so worrying about it is a huge waste of time.

Frankly if Hy6 platform would cease one day (which I certainly and clearly hope not), then I will much rather look at Hassy than Mamiya! :chug:

I wouldn't fret about it ... Phase is surely on the case, maybe even some big surprises in the next few days. I'm hoping so, and rooting for them to further bolster the category :thumbs:
See answers in bold above.

-Marc

jduncan

I don't think anyone is actually done announcing. All we got from some OEMs are some tease products. There is more to come, we have not heard the last from Hassy yet and no word from Phase or Leica yet either. Stay tuned
With the close relation between Phase One and Dalsa I will not be surprised if Phase introduced an entry level camera using a sensor similar to this:

PRESS RELEASE: Teledyne DALSA Announces New Large-Format Full-Frame CCD Image Sensor - Teledyne DALSA

Note that the sensor has microlenses so it could lead to a similar application like H4D or the Pentax 645. But the chip is BIG.

I was not expecting nothing extraordinary from Hasselblad, but to catch in terms of sensor technology with the 80 mega pixels sensor.

The other point is that the 24mm is a HCD.

For this Photokina they could be ending 4 years later.

Best regards,

James

fotografz

Hasselblad invented the CF adapter to help the H system and to lube the transition but not to support the V system. IMO.
Eduardo
Right, wrong, or just difference of opinion ... that wasn't the point. The poster said Hasselblad cut ALL support for the V system which in fact isn't true ... as in NOT TRUE!

10 years after the launch of the H system, you can still use Zeiss V leaf shutter lenses on the H camera. The CF Adapter provides full auto functions, and even focus confirmation that is NOT available on any V camera.

Hasselblad still offers the 503CW, CW winder, and CFV/50 DB specifically for most any V camera ... and has added DAC type software corrections for V lenses to Phocus and Lightroom.

How is that like Leica dropping the R system like a hot potato, or Kyocera stomping on the entire Contax line of cameras?

It is easier to make backwards compatible solutions for focal plane cameras ... not so easy for mechanical age leaf shutter lenses fitted to an electronic age camera, while retaining all auto stop down functions and metering. All V lens adapters to focal plane cameras are dumb, the CF Adapter is not.

It is either blatant bias, Luddism, or just plain ignorance that relentlessly feeds such untrue statements.

-Marc

IsakBergwall

Compare to Leica, Hasselblad looks more like a dying old man. The strong come back of Leica and Nikon should teach the management of Hasselblad a good lesson, they never give up (or dump) their customers. You can still put on your aged Leica/Nikon lens to you Leica M8.9.10, or Nilon D4 body. Hasselbad totally reinvent they camera with H body, and cutting all support to V Lens, and making their faithful customers' investment totally vanished. If your customers hate you, they wou't come back. And I never see any company success by dumping their customers.
One of the big reasons I have decided to switch to MF instead of just upgrading my d700 to d800e is that Nikon treated me like **** when I complained about banding and noise issues on my d700, after 3 returns when they basically called me an idiot they switched the sensor, however they said they had to change half the chassi/body parts because it was broken and there was something wrong with the viewfinder, problem is I sender it in in near new condition and the postal service was not responsible.. It took me 3 weeks of arguing before the suddenly fixed everything for free. Then I started to look around for used MF gear and I had like 3 dealers searching the web for me and getting back with suggestions and a lot of help in taking the step up to MF and so on.. I would never go back to Nikon after seeing first hand how they treat their customers.. so they certainly lost me as a customer greatly because of the upgrading path from D700 (I don't want super high ISO and film capabilities and automation programs and stuff like that, I want a camera that takes still images in the range of 50-200 ISO and that is what I got with a P1 AF and a P25+ back.. So I will have to disagree on you at that point (however this has nothing to do with hasselblad but just making a point that Nikon customer service (at least in Sweden) sucks balls (if you excuse my french).

Dustbak

To come back at the title of this thread... after reading the PhaseOne DF+ announcement I am suddenly much more excited about Hasselblads Pre-Kina announcement and rumor :)

There still is a rumor of another announcement coming from HB....

Anders_HK

Hasselblad's marketing presentation of the H5 is titled "The Evolution Continues" ... what does that indicate? :facesmack:
I hear you, point well made. Lets see if something more from Hassy... :watch:

Now compare to the Phase/Mamiya DF+ announcement... indeed I am very :) I ditched Mamiya. Really beyond my belief how they dare announce another incarnation in the old Mamiya 645 AF body.

Makes both the H5D and Hy6 Mod 2 shine :ROTFL: :chug:

fotografz

There is a press conference on the 18th from 2-3PM ... that is 8AM EST time right?

The rest is just speculation.

Does seem like there is something more ... why hold a press conference hoopla to announce something that's already been announced?

Meanwhile, I'll pass the time looking up recipes for Crow just in case ... what wine goes well with Crow? :ROTFL:

-Marc