The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

MaxKißler

Well I don't like commenting on rumors but if this one happens to be true and there will be a larger than 35mm-FF CMOS sensor then I'm very curious how it performs. I'm generally very suspicious when it comes to CMOS. I've not used one CMOS sensored camera that I like so far. However I have compared some CCD and CMOS 35mm cameras from Canon and Nikon and CMOS did a far better job almost every time. So why shouldn't this be the case with medium format sensors aswell?

If Hasselblad has anything coming out that is not related to their H system, I suspect Fuji would be the people to design and build it. I suspect Hasselblad doesn't have the money to invest in a new platform from scratch.

georgl

STmicroelectronics is ready to manufacture large photographic CMOS-sensors in their French fab for a "leading brand" according to their business report.
So either it is a Leica (S3/EVIL), a Hasselblad or Phase One since traditional Japanese companies don't like foreign suppliers. A MF-EVIL would be really exciting! Especially when it comes from Hasselblad which would mean they're finally back in business (they have a new owner as well) with non-Fuji products!

B

Bengt Nyman

HOW CAN YOU NOT BE !
The mirror in today's digital SLRs is the Achilles heal of digital photography. The next generation digital cameras will be mirrorless and feature large, high MP sensors and electronic curtain(s) and will do focusing and light metering directly on the sensor. Gone will be inaccurate phase detect focus on proximity image planes, mirror slap and first curtain vibrations. The case of the Canon D800(E) shows clearly that the digital SLR concept is nearing the end of its usefulness for high resolution photography. Top quality SLR photography today requires extremely high camera and lens manufacturing accuracies. Unable to obtain these at a reasonable cost both Nikon and Canon have introduced correction factors in the firmware menu to fine tune the autofocus of individual fixed focal length lenses. The need has already been recognized to add multiple correction factors along the focal length of zoom lenses.
Recent Nikon D800(E) focus problems also show the need for individual correction factors for the various subject plane focus points offered.
If you permutate the need to fine tune for individual lens inaccuracies with that for camera body inaccuracies you end up in an impractical fine tuning tangle, defeating the idea of interchangeable lenses.
The solution is the mirrorless digital camera where focus and light metering is done directly on the image sensor.
Don't underestimate the industries ability to innovate in the area of image sensors to include ultra fast image sensor autofocus.
Therefore: JUST DO IT HASSELBLAD.
P.S. Don't make the mistake to try to be weird or different. Just make the worlds best camera.

Quentin_Bargate

Absolutely. Mirrorless medium format using CMOS and direct sensor focusing, with live view - Makes sense to me, if they get it right.

My hunch isn't a 'new' product from Hasselblad, but rather an opening up of their system after years of having it closed off and the resulting financial difficulties related to the closing of the system. Opening it back up won't cost Hasselblad any R&D money, which I doubt they have much of right now.

KeithL

My hunch isn't a 'new' product from Hasselblad, but rather an opening up of their system after years of having it closed off and the resulting financial difficulties related to the closing of the system. Opening it back up won't cost Hasselblad any R&D money, which I doubt they have much of right now.
I'm sure as can be that you're wrong.

Fingers crossed ;)

B

Bengt Nyman

My hunch isn't a 'new' product ...
Hasselblad has new owners and are talking about a new "almost medium format" mirrorless Hassy to be announced September 19, in time for Photokina 2012.
They are certainly saying the right thing. Let's hope they are doing the right thing.

stephengilbert

Here's one: http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/has...s-the-almost-medium-format-mirrorless-camera/

But I'm more interested in whether Gura Gear is going to announce something new. :)

"In 2002 at photokina Hasselblad launched the revolutionary H System that changed and shaped the medium format market of the new millennium. Embraced by professional and amateur photographers around the world, it is still the unsurpassed standard for craftsmanship and ultimate image quality.

In 2012, 10 years later, our commitment to innovation, evolution and expanding to new horizons is as uncompromising as it has always been in the century long history of Hasselblad."

The product teaser says nothing about a new camera system at all, actually. It just says there will be an announcement. *If* there is a new camera with the Hasselblad name on it, I still think it would be a Fuji product at heart. Hasselblad just doesn't have the expertise to pull a whole new mirror less type product by themselves.

Call me a skeptic, but I have more than a hunch of what *might* be announced.

As far as Gura Gear goes, I can promise you that we haven't been sitting on our hands! :)

BANKER1

Andy,

You're a skeptic!

Do you really think the company that purchased them is going to just let them die on the vine. I can guarantee you that are trying to get the most for their investment. Your Fuji comment just drives me nuts. Hasselblad designs cameras and lenses, and Fuji builds them to Hasselblad's specifications. Why don't you research where most medium format lenses are made and get that information back to us, because you would not believe me.

I am not upset with your comments, and I hope you will not be upset with mine. But Hasselblad owners just get a little weary of the same old tired comments about Fuji. Please, let's all be surprised and happy about all the innovations we hope will come out of Photokina.

Greg

Greg, I think we are actually talking the same language. I think if we see something it would be something along the lines of what Fuji did for Hasselblad with the X-Pan product line. Something that Fuji might be able to market under their own brand in certain markets or after a period of time.

I actually think we have a better chance right now of seeing Hasselblad opening up their system again, which would be great for the industry. As a new IQ160 owner I would actually like to have a best of breed approach with an IQ back with Hasselblad H camera and lenses. Their relationship with Fuji isn't something I am knocking them for, as I do think they are superb products. I am just recognizing the humongous development costs that go into a new camera system, and I am not convinced that they have had the resources to do it in a short period of time.

hcubell

As a new IQ160 owner I would actually like to have a best of breed approach with an IQ back with Hasselblad H camera and lenses.
Actually, Andy, you don't need to wait till Photokina for that. You can put your IQ 160 on an H2 or an H4X with HC lenses today. Just get a mount change!

True! But I have a decent investment already in Phase/Mamiya lenses:

28mm
45mm
80mm
75-150mm
200mm f/2.8 APO
300mm f/2.8 APO
2x TC