The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 AFD III - DM22, Which lenses??

Pemihan

Hi,

I have a Mamiya 645 AFD III, DM22 kit on the way, including a Mamiya 80mm lens.
This is going to be my first experience into medium format, coming from Canon 1Ds mkIII where my most used lens is the 24mm TS-E II for landscape.

I am looking into lenses to use with the Mamiya, but have no idea what I can use and what I can't. Of course I know I can use the AF lenses which is on the market now but then there's Z lenses and C lenses and what not... I don't mind using older manual lenses as long as the image quality is top notch. What I need the most is a 35mm and a tilt shift. Also wouldn't mind a somewhat longer lens, maybe 3-400mm.

So here's my question: Which type lenses can I use on the above system?

Thanks
Peter

gsking

Z lenses? Aren't those for the RZ or something?

Your basic manual focus lenses are usually called Mamiya 645, or just m645. The 35mm is much cheaper than its AF version...usually under $300. There's a TS floating around, too.

IQ in general of the MF lenses is probably close to older AF lenses, maybe not as good as the newer DF lenses. The 35mm is less impressive than the 45mm by most accounts.

There's also a couple fisheye lenses...the expensive Mamiya 24mm and the cheap 30mm Arsat.

You can't use LS (leaf shutter) lenses, though. They aren't compatible with that body.

mediumcool

You can't use LS (leaf shutter) lenses, though. They aren't compatible with that body.
You can use the older LS lenses such as the 70mm but the leaf shutter itself cannot be used—just as with the (older) C and the (newer) N lenses, with manual focus and aperture stop-down. I have lenses ranging from 35 to 210mm, and all are manual. Not so bad if you are shooting on a tripod, and unusual lenses like the 24mm fisheye, the 50mm shift (no tilt BTW), 80mm f1.9 and 200mm f2.8 are only available in the older manual mount.

Last edited: