Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can't decide Arca Swiss D4 or Cube,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Can't decide Arca Swiss D4 or Cube,

Lots of good comments here but one note of caution if I may. I have both the Cube and the D4 Geared. The D4 has twice been back to Arca because I find the knobs hard to turn to the extent that at the end of a long day my fingers are somewhat sore. The advice from Arca was that it is fine and would loosen up with use but it hasn't. I seen others that are much better than mine so it's just something that I would suggest a prospective buyer checks carefully. My use case is Landscape not Macro but for me the Cube is the one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have both the D4 and a cube.
    would you like to buy my D4?
    'nuff said.
    -bob

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me too - I like both for different reasons. The CUBE is my go-to head on my main Gitzo giant. The D4 sits on top of a lighter RRS tripod. Other than the counter intuitive control layout of the D4 vs the Cube (or vice versa), I find it a very capable head. Since I've had the Cube for longer I always seem to want to dial up/down via the left side control but it's actually on the front.

Bob - I'd happily buy your D4 ...
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 21st November 2014 at 04:19.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

I have some writeup on the D4 here:
    Arca Swiss D4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here a quick jpg of my the geared D4 with an RRS dovetail at the bottom and an RRS clamp on the top . That was Graham's idea . Very handy in deed but does not replace my cube for architecture .

Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased my D4 with the screw clamp however after using the Arca lever lock style clamp I exchanged it for the lever lock.

I like the fact that the lever locks. RRS may lock also none of mt RRS lever clamps lock.

The Arca lever clamp easily adapts to all my various arca style plates. Arca, RRS and Kirk as it has a adjustment screw to increase or decrease tension on the clamp.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul

I got the CUBE and D4 with the ARCA lever lock type and had no trouble using it .
    But since I sometimes experience arthrosis in my fingers , I replaced the ARCA lever lock by the RRS clamp . That helped a lot and I feel very comfortable with that solution .
    I converted the RRS clamp so it can take all types of QR-plates .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Arca QR clamps on both the Cube and D4 and it definitely works well. The only problem in the field for me though is in very cold weather the safety release will easily crack your nail (maybe just something I suffer from I suppose).
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wildtypitch View Post
    Hi, one large problem with the goniometer/cube as a head is that the tilt x-axis tilt is mounted on top of the tilt z-axis tilt mech.
    So use of any x-axis tilt results in z-axis tilts that also involve varying degrees of x and y-axis tilts. As an architectural photographer this would be very annoying. Using it for close up would drive me crazy as independent axis tilts are vital. I mean what's the point in having geared axis movements of one of those axis isn't fixed.
    The cube is a precision instrument but it's not really designed for precision photography. . . . . .

I do not quite understand what you mean .
    Do you mean the z-axis is the swivel axis ?
    The two goniometer stages are on top of a swivel platform and have an other swivel platform on their top . That gives you all movements you need .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    I have some writeup on the D4 here:
    Arca Swiss D4
    A "write-up" is fine, but that automatic download of a video file (without warning) from your link made me nervous. A link claiming to be a "write-up" to me is something in text to read. If the link is a downloadable file, that should be disclosed. I'd like to at least have the option to decide if I want to download a video or not! (Using some pretty models might have made me feel better....)

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Sorry, I wanted show how the thing works.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    A "write-up" is fine, but that automatic download of a video file (without warning) from your link made me nervous. A link claiming to be a "write-up" to me is something in text to read. If the link is a downloadable file, that should be disclosed. I'd like to at least have the option to decide if I want to download a video or not! (Using some pretty models might have made me feel better....)

ken

Post Thanks / Like

question because i also want to buy one of those heads...

... as i see in the youtube videos the d4 is more versatile - because its i mixtures of normal ballhead and a geared one.

for architecture photography it can be very precise, and for studio works - food photography i can quickly set the camera position and fix the position - like a typical ballhead.

so the cube seams to be more solid but not that flexible for fast setups...

i´m i right ?

actual i have the Manfrotto 410 - but i´m not satisfied with the head. after one year the knobs are very hard to use. and it is not possible to switch the camera left or right on the y axis
    [ no picture ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use both CUBE and D4.

Adjusting the head position (other than flip 45 degrees) is all via geared knobs. Very precise and relatively low gearing. There is a limited range of movement, particularly if you need extreme vertical positioning. The head is never loose so no concerns about the camera swinging/flopping.

Basically the D4 has the advantage of providing both geared movements and the option of releasing the locks and manually adjusting the head to a desired position and then fine tuning if necessary using the geared knobs. The downside is that when lock is released, the entire assembly is free and the camera can flop over etc. Once in position though, the gearing is as accurate as using the CUBE. More extreme vertical positioning is available vs the CUBE.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 27th September 2016 at 18:50.
    Ylem ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you want the speed and flexibility of a ball head, and precision of a geared head, I'd look at the KPS T5. It's lighter than the Cube too, making it a better choice for lighter tripod legs. I prefer the T5 over the D4.

See, http://www.getdpi.com/wp/2015/04/kps...ared-ballhead/

But the King of the Hill is still the AS Cube as far as geared heads go. The Cube stays mostly on my RRS TVC-33 legs, and the T5 is perfect on the RRS TVC-24.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

thank you so much .

the kps looks very interessting... don´t find a dealer here in europe?

but i think i will go for the d4 - fliplock!

has anybody experience with the L bracket classic
    https://www.arca-shop.de/de/l-bracke...racket-classic

and which plate can you recommend for my backupcamera for easy click system on the d4
    [ no picture ]

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Can't decide Arca Swiss D4 or Cube,

I am using a D4 (and a Z1) with flip-lock and L-bracket 2 Base Flip lock:
    https://www.arca-shop.de/de/l-bracke...bases-fliplock

As a base plate I am using the Monoball Fix Vario Kit on all cameras in order that they all can be easily mounted on the heads.

(sorry for image quality....iPhone6, but soon 7plus http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images...es/redface.png)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5038.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	714.8 KB 
ID:	121492  
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, do not go for the Arca Swiss "Fix" system. That is although the fastest system for changing but not secure for a heavy camera system. If you accidentally move the lever at the mount the camera will fall if not holding it with your other hand (which happens to me). The Flip-Lock system is fully secured; the lever in 90 degrees' position still holds the camera and it is not possible to open the lever accidentally (you must use your finger nail to open it).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

@jvpictures

why you don´t mount the iphone on the l-bracket and retake a photo with the h-system... for this post it will be better

THX ! all of you for your help !

Will go for the flip lock....
    [ no picture ]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    @jvpictures

why you don´t mount the iphone on the l-bracket and retake a photo with the h-system... for this post it will be better

THX ! all of you for your help !

Will go for the flip lock....
    yeah, thanks for good suggestion....I do have some other cameras, but for sake of convenience nothing beats an iPhone!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jvpictures View Post
    Btw, do not go for the Arca Swiss "Fix" system. That is although the fastest system for changing but not secure for a heavy camera system. If you accidentally move the lever at the mount the camera will fall if not holding it with your other hand (which happens to me). The Flip-Lock system is fully secured; the lever in 90 degrees' position still holds the camera and it is not possible to open the lever accidentally (you must use your finger nail to open it).
    That's not my experience of the fix-system. To dismount the camera you need to pull the lever quite hard to extend it to its utmost position and then remove the camera, which is done by flipping it at an angle to remove. By simply opening the lever but not pulling it all the way will only cause it to slide in the mount until it reaches a pin, but will definitely not fall off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeJ View Post
    That's not my experience of the fix-system. To dismount the camera you need to pull the lever quite hard to extend it to its utmost position and then remove the camera, which is done by flipping it at an angle to remove. By simply opening the lever but not pulling it all the way will only cause it to slide in the mount until it reaches a pin, but will definitely not fall off.
    mine was falling; but maybe the lever was a bit loose. Anyways i changed it to the Flip-lock and never regretted it.

Post Thanks / Like

according the L Bracket classic

can I use the l bracket with and without the batterygrip - canon DSLRs ( 5DIV and 5DsR )
    Ist it possible to shoot tethered in both orientation without crushing the usb cable?
    [ no picture ]