The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can't decide Arca Swiss D4 or Cube,

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Sorry, I wanted show how the thing works.

Best regards
Erik

A "write-up" is fine, but that automatic download of a video file (without warning) from your link made me nervous. A link claiming to be a "write-up" to me is something in text to read. If the link is a downloadable file, that should be disclosed. I'd like to at least have the option to decide if I want to download a video or not! (Using some pretty models might have made me feel better....:D)

ken

gmfotografie

question because i also want to buy one of those heads...

... as i see in the youtube videos the d4 is more versatile - because its i mixtures of normal ballhead and a geared one.

for architecture photography it can be very precise, and for studio works - food photography i can quickly set the camera position and fix the position - like a typical ballhead.

so the cube seams to be more solid but not that flexible for fast setups...

i´m i right ?

actual i have the Manfrotto 410 - but i´m not satisfied with the head. after one year the knobs are very hard to use. and it is not possible to switch the camera left or right on the y axis

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use both CUBE and D4.

Adjusting the head position (other than flip 45 degrees) is all via geared knobs. Very precise and relatively low gearing. There is a limited range of movement, particularly if you need extreme vertical positioning. The head is never loose so no concerns about the camera swinging/flopping.

Basically the D4 has the advantage of providing both geared movements and the option of releasing the locks and manually adjusting the head to a desired position and then fine tuning if necessary using the geared knobs. The downside is that when lock is released, the entire assembly is free and the camera can flop over etc. Once in position though, the gearing is as accurate as using the CUBE. More extreme vertical positioning is available vs the CUBE.

Last edited:

kdphotography

If you want the speed and flexibility of a ball head, and precision of a geared head, I'd look at the KPS T5. It's lighter than the Cube too, making it a better choice for lighter tripod legs. I prefer the T5 over the D4.

See, http://www.getdpi.com/wp/2015/04/kps-t5-geared-ballhead/

But the King of the Hill is still the AS Cube as far as geared heads go. The Cube stays mostly on my RRS TVC-33 legs, and the T5 is perfect on the RRS TVC-24.

Ken

Btw, do not go for the Arca Swiss "Fix" system. That is although the fastest system for changing but not secure for a heavy camera system. If you accidentally move the lever at the mount the camera will fall if not holding it with your other hand (which happens to me). The Flip-Lock system is fully secured; the lever in 90 degrees' position still holds the camera and it is not possible to open the lever accidentally (you must use your finger nail to open it).

gmfotografie

@jvpictures

why you don´t mount the iphone on the l-bracket and retake a photo with the h-system... for this post it will be better :eek:

THX ! all of you for your help !

Will go for the flip lock....

@jvpictures

why you don´t mount the iphone on the l-bracket and retake a photo with the h-system... for this post it will be better :eek:

THX ! all of you for your help !

Will go for the flip lock....
yeah, thanks for good suggestion....I do have some other cameras, but for sake of convenience nothing beats an iPhone!

DrakeJ

Btw, do not go for the Arca Swiss "Fix" system. That is although the fastest system for changing but not secure for a heavy camera system. If you accidentally move the lever at the mount the camera will fall if not holding it with your other hand (which happens to me). The Flip-Lock system is fully secured; the lever in 90 degrees' position still holds the camera and it is not possible to open the lever accidentally (you must use your finger nail to open it).
That's not my experience of the fix-system. To dismount the camera you need to pull the lever quite hard to extend it to its utmost position and then remove the camera, which is done by flipping it at an angle to remove. By simply opening the lever but not pulling it all the way will only cause it to slide in the mount until it reaches a pin, but will definitely not fall off.

That's not my experience of the fix-system. To dismount the camera you need to pull the lever quite hard to extend it to its utmost position and then remove the camera, which is done by flipping it at an angle to remove. By simply opening the lever but not pulling it all the way will only cause it to slide in the mount until it reaches a pin, but will definitely not fall off.
mine was falling; but maybe the lever was a bit loose. Anyways i changed it to the Flip-lock and never regretted it.

gmfotografie

according the L Bracket classic

can I use the l bracket with and without the batterygrip - canon DSLRs ( 5DIV and 5DsR )
Ist it possible to shoot tethered in both orientation without crushing the usb cable?