The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Credo Coming in AFi Mount

Steve Hendrix

Leaf has decided/found a way to continue to offer the latest Leaf digital back technology on the AFi platform. The new Leaf Credo in 40/60/80 megapixel versions will now be available also in AFi mount.

Capture Integration - Leaf Credo News

This is good news in general, and great news for AFi enthusiasts. One caveat - delivery not expected until November/December for AFi mounted Credos.

But orders are being accepted today at Capture Integration.

Steve Hendrix

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I agree - I have no current interest in one myself (too much phase one glass investment) but I think that this is AWESOME news!

xinchenc

Will AFi-Credo digital back use the same battery as the one in the AFi camera body? Otherwise, the whole system need two types battery & two types battery chargers.

Anders_HK

AFi backs:
+++ rotating sensor
+++ tilt screen
+++ standard Leaf battery (same as in my Hy6 handle)
+++ largest display of 6cm x 7cm.
(all of above a very essence for my Hy6 experience)

AFi credo backs:
+++ new technology

How much to update an AFi back to AFi Credo, and what of above included from standard AFi backs?

Any improvements in regards to image quality for the 80MP backs?

Steve Hendrix

AFi backs:
+++ rotating sensor
+++ tilt screen
+++ standard Leaf battery (same as in my Hy6 handle)
+++ largest display of 6cm x 7cm.
(all of above a very essence for my Hy6 experience)

AFi credo backs:
+++ new technology

How much to update an AFi back to AFi Credo, and what of above included from standard AFi backs?

Any improvements in regards to image quality for the 80MP backs?

I have to say I'm not optimistic about the tilt screen/rotating sensor, and downright doubtful of the battery. But I was surprised they are even doing this, so who knows, maybe I'll be surprised again.

Having a tilt screen/rotating Credo would be fantastic.

Steve Hendrix

Anders_HK

I have to say I'm not optimistic about the tilt screen/rotating sensor, and downright doubtful of the battery. But I was surprised they are even doing this, so who knows, maybe I'll be surprised again.

Having a tilt screen/rotating Credo would be fantastic.

Steve Hendrix
Leaf tends to listen to its users, that and the image quality is why we love them :clap:.

Perhaps they will also stretch the Credo display to make it 6cm x 7xm, same size and proportions as the AFi and Aptus displays. That would make super :thumbs:

Plus to continue the Hy6... :OT:

EH21

The Leaf AFi-ii is a really a nicely set up back with some special features as Anders outlined that make it really useful. If it were a choice, I'd take the AFi with the updated processing speed of the Credo. I don't really stop to use the zoom feature on the AFi much because it is quite slow.

The Credo will be a big advantage for some shooters since the zoom and review features are much faster plus the screen has more resolution and brightness.

I do use the revolving sensor A LOT, but with the AFi's modular back mounting system its easy to pop off, rotate and snap in the sensor so its not a deal breaker at least for studio type work. If there were some way that Leaf could engineer the Credo to keep the rotating sensor - then it would be a winner for sure!

Being able to use the same type of battery is a plus, but also not a deal breaker. It sure is nice to be able to use one battery in the camera grip for both back and camera though.

Anyhow you slice it, its great Leaf is supporting the AFi/Hy6 camera and now offering two choices of backs.

Steve Hendrix

Leaf tends to listen to its users, that and the image quality is why we love them :clap:.

Perhaps they will also stretch the Credo display to make it 6cm x 7xm, same size and proportions as the AFi and Aptus displays. That would make super :thumbs:

Plus to continue the Hy6... :OT:

Well Anders - it doesn't hurt to ask, to dream...

But stretching the screen to 6x7 - that I doubt most of all. In fact let's just be realistic - not possible. I'll eat my hat.

Steve Hendrix

Geoff

.02$:

- keep the chassis of the AFI 12,
- update the innards of processing to the Credo.

That way, keep the benefits of the tilt screen and rotating sensor.

Probably just a pipe dream, but it would be lovely to have the faster speed of the Credo.

EH21

Yes Geoff,
Agreed! - maybe as a send in upgrade service? But since the Credo has a physically different screen and GUI, this probably might not be possible.

Maybe Yair will chime in with info on whether the AFi mount Credo will have a rotating back or not?

And I should write that I'm currently quite happy with the AFi-ii 12 as it is. More would just be icing on the cake.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes Geoff,
Agreed! - maybe as a send in upgrade service? But since the Credo has a physically different screen and GUI, this probably might not be possible.

Maybe Yair will chime in with info on whether the AFi mount Credo will have a rotating back or not?

And I should write that I'm currently quite happy with the AFi-ii 12 as it is. More would just be icing on the cake.
The back will be a Credo with an AFi mount. It will not be an AFi-III with Credo processing.

It will not have a rotating sensor (you'll need to physically turn the back), it will not have a tilt screen, it will have the Credo screen (not a 6x7 screen). These are all good features. However, they are not coming to the Credo.

The user interface, responsiveness, sustained shooting speed, zoom-to-100% speed/ease, and transfer speed of the Credo is really stunning. The LCD is super crisp, very bright, and surprisingly color accurate (for a mobile-class LCD). Integration with Capture One is excellent. So if you've not used these features of a Credo you don't know how much you miss them. However, if a rotating sensor and tilt screen, are essential for your usage then the AFI-II 10/12 are still the best thing going. If they are simply nice features then the Credo may well knock your socks off as regards in-the-field review.

xinchenc

It will not have a rotating sensor (you'll need to physically turn the back), it will not have a tilt screen, it will have the Credo screen (not a 6x7 screen). These are all good features. However, they are not coming to the Credo.
I would say this AFi-Credo lost the gene of AFi-II 12.

Credo screen is probably amazing, however AFi-II 12 tethered to a Macbook Air with Retina Screen is much better.

Xin

EH21

Doug,
Thanks for the info. Can you tell us about any possible improvements in file quality? Will the credo have the pixel binning and ISO 1600 - forget what it's called in the IQ series?

And people that never shot the Hy6/AFi may not understand the big deal made about the rotating sensor and articulating screen. The ergonomics of the Hy6/AFi body are different from lots of cameras but once you get it, you don't want anything else. It's fantastic and I think the best I ever used. All adjustments fall at your finger tips and you never need to change your position or take your hand from the grip to do anything or take your eye away from the finder. Even rotating the sensor from landscape to portrait can be done this way. Since you don't have to turn your camera body and arms and head like you do on the DF body for example the shooting is very fluid. This also allows for some great finders 45, lupe, and WLF that you couldn't use well on the DF. The rotating sensor on the AFi-ii backs was a brilliant design by Leaf.

Anders_HK

Well Anders - it doesn't hurt to ask, to dream...

But stretching the screen to 6x7 - that I doubt most of all. In fact let's just be realistic - not possible. I'll eat my hat.

Steve Hendrix
Steve, may I suggest to keep that hat around until Credo-II comes out??? :D

To be frank, I am fully content with my AFi-II 12 for my Hy6. However, if I were to list in order of preference per my experience what makes the AFi back so suitable for Hy6;
1. Rotating sensor
2. Same battery as handle
3. Tilt display

Clearly the Credo must come with a rotating sensor for Hassy V??? Rotating sensor is in my humble opinion a complete must. To take off to rotate does not only mean dust but takes too much time since Hy6 is used for shooting models etc.

For 2, perhaps DHW can be convinced to make Hy6 run on the new batteries??

And dang, I really enjoy the 6x7cm size of the Leaf AFi-II display. Works great! Am a very happy camper with my AFi-II (and indeed Hy6). That said, any news for Hy6 is really really great. It means perhaps more Hy6 users? :thumbs:

Best regards,
Anders

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The Credo does not have a rotating sensor for the Hassy V. Both on V and for the AFi is is a remove-and-rotate solution.

Anders: have you seen the LCD of a Credo in person?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug,
Thanks for the info. Can you tell us about any possible improvements in file quality? Will the credo have the pixel binning and ISO 1600 - forget what it's called in the IQ series?

And people that never shot the Hy6/AFi may not understand the big deal made about the rotating sensor and articulating screen. The ergonomics of the Hy6/AFi body are different from lots of cameras but once you get it, you don't want anything else. It's fantastic and I think the best I ever used. All adjustments fall at your finger tips and you never need to change your position or take your hand from the grip to do anything or take your eye away from the finder. Even rotating the sensor from landscape to portrait can be done this way. Since you don't have to turn your camera body and arms and head like you do on the DF body for example the shooting is very fluid. This also allows for some great finders 45, lupe, and WLF that you couldn't use well on the DF. The rotating sensor on the AFi-ii backs was a brilliant design by Leaf.
With a Credo you would remove the back, rotate it, and put it back on. This is not as suave as an internally rotating sensor, but for many it will be a minor annoyance rather than a serious deficiency.

The other not-intuitive thing is that the viewing angle of the Credo screen is MUCH better than the AFI screen. So while it cannot tilt (which is handy, especially at more extreme angles) it does not need to be directly tilted directly at the photographer to get a good view. This does not fully offset the desire for an articulating screen, but it should take a lot of the sting off.

Pixel binning in the IQ series is called Sensor+. It is not available on the Credo.

The base ISO of the Credo 80mp is ISO35, and has a maximum long exposure of 120 seconds. The base ISO of the Aptus-II 12 is 50 and the maximum long exposure is 32 seconds. So for those shooting over 15-20 seconds improvements can be expected in both noise, tonal smoothness, and color.

Some minor improvements to color and noise due to the difference in auxiliary processing components can be expected. However, in practical testing we've found those to be pretty minor. Frankly the image quality from the AFI/Aptus-II 12 is hard to improve on.

The major difference, and it really is major if you've not personally used a Credo, is the speed with which the user interface lets you hone in on the ideal image. The ability to zoom to 100% and scroll around the image with nearly instant rendering, instead of the considerable lag of the AFI/Aptus-II is a major improvement to practical workflow.

Steve Hendrix

Doug,

I understand. The rotating sensor and tilt LCD, combined with the ergonomics of the AFi is one of the great selling features of the camera. But unfortunately, for now, that may have live on as an AFI-II level beloved feature set. And future interested parties will have to choose between the new advances of the Credo, and being able to use it on their favorite camera (albeit with some important elements altered), or the older generation Aptus-II level digital back, with the far clunkier, slower interface, and (by comparison) crude LCD screen. Each has their merits.

I think that I was surprised Leaf agreed to continue the platform support, but for the volume of the existing user base and prospective potential new user base, all things considered, I can't imagine the expense, resources, and effort to create a true Credo AFi that retained all of the AFi-II features was possible. This is simply reality. And with that said, I feel Leaf stepped up and did the best possible that they could realistically accomplish for their users.

Steve Hendrix

JorisV

I think that I was surprised Leaf agreed to continue the platform support, but for the volume of the existing user base and prospective potential new user base, all things considered, I can't imagine the expense, resources, and effort to create a true Credo AFi that retained all of the AFi-II features was possible.
Steve Hendrix
Steve,

As discussed before the rotating sensor would also be of benefit to Hasselblad V and Tech Cam users.

Would the user base than still be too small?

Joris.