The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using CFV-50 on a tech camera?

torger

As some may have seen I'm thinking that 48x36mm 6 um pixels = ~50 megapixels is the ultimate balance of size/resolution for a technical camera. Suitable amount of movements for 90mm image circles and suitable diffraction onset for f/11 shots which gives me suitable amount of DoF. The smaller size and lower resolution also keeps down cost a bit which is important, otherwise I like overkill :)

The only portable product with this specification seems to be Hasselblad CFV-50. After having surfed all Internet and clicked at all links with "CFV-50" in it I have still not found any reports on how it works on a Tech camera with Schneider and Rodenstock wides.

My questions
- does it have some messy wakeup sync procedure?
- does it have a good enough screen for a working 100% focus check?
- does it have blinking highlights in addition to histogram?
- how bad is the color cast, can it be used with a Schneider 35 XL with shifts?
- how is the color rendition if you want *accurate* colors? I hope better than the P45+...

fotografz

While I haven't used this specific back on a tech camera with those specific lenses, I may be able to answer a few questions based on using a 39 meg Hassey back on a tech camera, and having also used a CFV back in the past.

The CFV has multiple menu choices for the specific camera being used. 500 series, 200 series and the basic "Sync" choice, which is what would be used on a technical camera or any adapted camera that relies on a PC sync cord. It does not require any wake-up procedure. (I think there also may now be a sync choice for using Sinar automated shutters, but I'm not sure of that)

The 50 meg sensor in the CFV is the same as the 50 meg H camera sensor, so you could research H50 back performance on tech cameras which may be more readily found. The 50 meg sensor does not employ micro-lenses like the 40 meg back, so I suspect there are few color cast issues normally associated with the micro lens sensors. In addition, the Phocus software has some tools for dealing with color cast should they be present.

Color rendition seems fine on my buddy's H4D/50 as was the previous 39 meg back I used before my 60 meg H ... I do a lot of fabric shots and have to be at least very close before the client retouchers get the shots, and found processing through the Phocus software yeiolded the best color from Hasselblad's "Natural Color" approach.

Hasselblad Natural Color Solution

This should not be confused with Hasselblad's "True Color" approach found in the Multi-Shot backs which do not resort to interpolation.

However, there is a recent thread discussing color accurate profiles for Hasselblad's Phocus software with links to some Hasselblad literature on the subject you may want to search out and read.

NOT complete nor difinitive, but hope it helps a little bit.

-Marc

stngoldberg

I use the H4D50 on an Arca Swiss RM3DI.

1. No wake up procedure
2.Screen allows user to zoom to 100% and is adequate for focus check, but Hasselblad does not have the focus mask available on the Phase One IQ backs
3.Screen does have blinking highlights, but I use Histogram as a guide for blown highlights
4. I don't have the Schneider 35 XL, but I do have the Rodie 32. I needed a center filter to eliminate color cast along with LCC's. Scene Calibration in Phocus is necessary!
5.The color rendition is quite good

Stanley

torger

Thanks for the feedback! It does seem like I should have my eyes open for this product.

Concerning color cast there's no issue if I need to do LCCs, I do that all the time also for long focal lengths (like to cancel out possible dust and vignetting etc), I just wanted to know if it is within reason, not like an IQ180 where its so severe one must use retrofocus lenses.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I use the CFV-50 and also the CFV-39 with the ALPA System .
These backs definately require a "wake up" signal , independant of your technical Camera System . ALPA , ARCA , CAMBO .
No way around this . I do an LCC shot for each shot I take .
It does not cost a penny and if you don't need it , you can always erase that file.