The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 50mm

rga

Hi All,
I'm considering buying the new Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/50 mm SB34. Wondering if anyone knows:
1. Is this the same as HR Digaron - W, optimized for larger digital sensors.
2. Is the lens any good as a shiftable WA lens on the Alpa STC or MAX? (I realize that there is only a 90mm image circle, but that is as large an image circle that will be available on the new Rodenstock/ALPA 40 and 32 with the SB17).
3. Why does it need a HPF?
4. I've been told a center filter is not recommended/needed... any thoughts on that?
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give,
Bob

dchew

Bob,
I am interested in the same thing. I know a little, but not much:
1. Yes, it is the same HR-W.
2. I think it is very good as a shiftable lens. I have the STC. My guess is it will get between 10-15mm.
3. I don't think it "needs" an HPF, it just says it needs a special one if you want one. That is because the barrel is recessed so it has to be milled down.
4. I don't know for sure, but I am willing to bet it will be fine without a center filter.

Get it priced; I did and it shocked me. North of $10k with the tilt adapter.

Hope this helps...

Dave

rga

Bob,
I am interested in the same thing. I know a little, but not much:
1. Yes, it is the same HR-W.
2. I think it is very good as a shiftable lens. I have the STC. My guess is it will get between 10-15mm.
3. I don't think it "needs" an HPF, it just says it needs a special one if you want one. That is because the barrel is recessed so it has to be milled down.
4. I don't know for sure, but I am willing to bet it will be fine without a center filter.

Get it priced; I did and it shocked me. North of $10k with the tilt adapter.

Hope this helps...

Dave
Thanks Dave. I have the tilt adapter already. Since you don't, I would recommend you look at the 40mm SB 17 with its tilt adapter... That is the route I would take if I didn't have the 35mm Tilt adapter.

Thanks for your answers: just what I was hoping for. BTW, the 50mm SB35+HPF is about $6,275...

dchew

Thanks Dave. I have the tilt adapter already. Since you don't, I would recommend you look at the 40mm SB 17 with its tilt adapter... That is the route I would take if I didn't have the 35mm Tilt adapter.

Thanks for your answers: just what I was hoping for. BTW, the 50mm SB35+HPF is about $6,275...
Yeah that is what I am on the fence about. Actually I have the SK 43mm. I like it because of its size, but the new T/S options are pushing me over the edge to one of these two from Rodenstock. I certainly won't carry all three, so I need to decide between:
1. Sell the 43 and get the 40 + 17 T/S

2. Keep the 43 and get the 50 + 34 T/S. I have the SK 150 SB with the std 34mm adapter. So I could use the 34 T/S on that too.

3. Sell the 43 and get both! :) How much is a D800e again??

Ciao,

Dave

rga

Yeah that is what I am on the fence about. Actually I have the SK 43mm. I like it because of its size, but the new T/S options are pushing me over the edge to one of these two from Rodenstock. I certainly won't carry all three, so I need to decide between:
1. Sell the 43 and get the 40 + 17 T/S

2. Keep the 43 and get the 50 + 34 T/S. I have the SK 150 SB with the std 34mm adapter. So I could use the 34 T/S on that too.

3. Sell the 43 and get both! :) How much is a D800e again??

Ciao,

Dave
I have rarely used the 34T/S with the 150. I would guess that combo would primarily be for macro use.

If you don't have the 34T/S and just use the 34 extension I would highly recommend biting the bullet and going with the 17T/S plus 40. Future T/S lenses will work with the 17T/S I would guess. Also, if you really need T/S on your 150, you could by the new 17Extension and it would work with the 17T/S.

Just my $0.02,
Bob