The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV photos green tint problem?

elrafo

Hello!

Using a Cfv with 500cm, I usually take my photos with daylight white balance in sunny days, the concern is that I find all my photos really shifted into green tones, I have to switch to magenta on each shots !

Is it a kown issue with hasselblads digitL backs? Is there a way to get a better calibration of the tint by default?

Thanks!

DDudenbostel

I have a cfv39 and have no issues. Is your monitor profiled? What software to convert your raw? Never seen any green cast or cast of any sort. Do you see a shift with other cameras? Can you check you'd files on another computer? Have you printed any?

Douglas Fairbank

I guess you have checked that you actually do have Daylight selected on your back!? Is a different colour balance being applied during the import process. For example if you were importing using Phocus is the 'Standard' adjustment in place during the import, the default for Phocus is to retain the adjustment from the previous session.

johnnygoesdigital

I also had the green tint...make sure you're not putting any pressure on the shutter release until you're ready to take a shot. Sometimes the DB can be "charged" by slightly pressing the shutter, thus a few green frames. I think the slight pressure on the shutter pushes the camera pins slightly into the DB and turns it on...so to speak. Also make sure the settings on the DB menus are set correctly. This is a great DB, and many love it, have fun.

atanabe

Green tint sounds like a sync issue.

1) Check to see that you have set the correct camera from the menu selection.
2) Check the back capture time is it <1/8 and is your shutter speed capture 1/8 or less (faster)? If you are shooting at a longer shutter speed, 1/4 or longer and the back is set to capture <1/8 then a color cast may result.

If you still have the color cast try selecting the sync capture from the menu of camera types, use the x sync cable to the back and lens and try that.

Johnny also had a good point of not "riding the shutter release" as the pin protrudes to the CFV and wakes it up starting the capture sequence.

-Al

elrafo

Hello guys,

Thanks a lot for the help.
The green shift is not like a screen color, or a shutter problem, but more loke a bad tint value...
When I shoot landscapes for instance, the vegetation is way too Green!
WB looks fine, but I allways have to move to magenta values in LR or phocus. The default import is neutral.

Any ideas? Thanks!

atanabe

If you tried all of the suggestions I made earlier, then it is time to get service involved. Go to the Hasselblad website and put an inquiry for service via email. They usually respond within 24 hours and can have you try several other things such as software reloads. If that does not work the next step is to send it in for service. Turn around time from the US is about three weeks.

Steve Hendrix

Hello guys,

Thanks a lot for the help.
The green shift is not like a screen color, or a shutter problem, but more loke a bad tint value...
When I shoot landscapes for instance, the vegetation is way too Green!
WB looks fine, but I allways have to move to magenta values in LR or phocus. The default import is neutral.

Any ideas? Thanks!

What happens when you have captured a spectrally neutral grey card in a scene and white balanced in Phocus? Is it still tinted green?

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

elrafo

Hello Steve,

I should try the neutral grey,

the strange stuff is that colors seems ok when I do an import in LR, but when I select the image, the rendered picture switches automatically to a green tint, like if a profile was automatically applied.

same in the preview on my mac, the thumbnails look ok in terms of value and color, but when I hit the space bar, the previewed version switches to green tones.

this is not a major problem as I can sill color correct in photoshop or LR, Phocus, but its a bit annoying when I try to get the colors right.

looks like an embedded color value ;)

elrafo

Hello guys,

looks like a color balance problem... I can solve it in LR only but not in Phocus, color picking a white or neutral grey, even using Auto mode will correct my strange green and cyan tones...
I don't get why it is so hard for me to put the right values in phocus but LR seems to solve a big part of the problem!

Douglas Fairbank

Elrafo, it does sound like some colour balance/correction is being applied, why not ask your local Hasselblad people to look at one of your 3FR and FFF images to see where and how it is happening. Please see the list below of what I think may be the problem.
  1. Colour balance setting on the back at point of exposure
  2. Colour correction from a previous session in Phocus is still active and being applied
  3. Very unlikely to be the problem but please check you have the latest Phocus and the latest firmware installed on the back, maybe even reload the firmware to be sure. Even less likely is the prefs files have become corrupted.
  4. Check the Input Profile is Hasselblad RGB in the Reproduction window of Phocus, you may need to add this to the default tool set by using the pull down menu of all available tools above the tool set. Check the Phocus Manual.

DDudenbostel

You might make a 3fff file available to some of the forum members to try. Would be interesting to see if our files respond the same on your computer.

elrafo

hello guys, sorry for the delay, here are some files maybe you can check ? the strange stuff is that there is a color profile applied on the image, which make them switch to green values.

by default on my Mac browser, the color seems right, as soon as I press space bar, looks like a color profile is applied and I see "green" ...

Index of /cgforum/CFV

thanks!

Douglas Fairbank

I notice that your 'Lofoten' image has an adjustment applied, white balance is 4850 plus a tint of 10. Was this adjustment applied during import or post import. A standard adjustment applied to the imported raw image (A1214011) seems much more natural. Applying the neutralization tool to grey sunlight rocks seems to apply a close to daylight value (5300) and applying the same tool to a shadowed rock applies a close to shade value (7250).

elrafo

Thank you Douglas,

do you figure out why this adjustment is applied in LR and Phocus ? is is embedded in the Raw file ?

thanks!

Douglas Fairbank

As I said earlier I suspect that the adjustment is being applied during the import process into Phocus. When you import check that the adjustment in the import prefs window says 'Standard'. The adjustment will be embedded in the raw file and Lightroom will be reading this, I am no expert with Lightroom and I don't know if you can deselect the embedded profile, maybe somebody else reading this may be able to offer a suggestion.
However if you apply 'Standard' adjustment to your images and modify (save) the images so the adjustment is embedded you should be able to see the standard adjustment in Lightroom as well, but it might only effect the thumbnail in Lightroom.

Maybe I could take this opportunity to ask a question of my own, if you have made a change to an image outside of Lightroom how do you refresh the Lightroom image, or do you have to delete it and re-import it?

To be honest, I use Lightroom because I have to, not because I like it!

Last edited:

MikeHlop

Maybe I could take this opportunity to ask a question of my own, if you have made a change to an image outside of Lightroom how do you refresh the Lightroom image, or do you have to delete it and re-import it?
I often call Photoshop from Lightroom to make some adjustments and when I save the image and return to Lightroom all changes are there automatically - don't need to re-import or even reload the image.

Douglas Fairbank

Yes I see now that in the case of a jpg image for example the thumbnail may not be instantly updated from an external (non Photoshop) change but is updated when moving into 'Develop'.
In the case of the fff image Lightroom will be looking at the raw image and not applying the adjustment as Phocus would.
I need more practice in moving between Phocus and Lightroom. :(

Hello Elrafo,

I looked at the images.
Please make sure that the firmware installed in the CFV16 is R267.
You can find this here: Menu > Settings > About > Firmware revision

Steve was kind enough to offer his comments " What happens when you have captured a spectrally neutral grey card in a scene and white balanced in Phocus? Is it still tinted green?" Thank you Steve, this was my first thought when read this thread.

You do have 7 options in the Menu under "White Balance"

- Manual (user sets Kelvin temperature)
- Daylight
- Tungsten
- Fluorescent
- Flash
- Shade
- Cloudy

I have used the CFV quite a bit in years past. I always made the first capture on location of either a Greytag Macbeth Color checker or an Xrite Passport in the scene and I would set the camera to "Daylight".

I would then import one image, neutralized it, apply a small of unsharp mask - 125 in a 16mp should do, I would make a curves adjustment if I thought it necessary and then I selected all images in a batch and modify all selected images. I would then review and tag my final selects and make adjustments on individual images if needed.

I hope this helps.