The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Safari 6.0 woes Über large jpgs

dizzyg44

I know this kind of fits here but also kind of doesn't.

My wife and I were walking around downtown and stopped into the apple store check out the latest retina display MBP's and see how they really handle with hi-res images...

Sadly, safari 6.0 consistently crashed on every retina MBP that we tried to view my 80mp test image that I shot. Standard IQ180 exported to jpg in C1pro, srgb...http://mgimagery.net/iq180.jpg

tested on their iMacs running safari 6, the file would download but would be scrambled green/black gradient squares, and just black if clicked to scale it to full size....

I thought it was kind of ironic that I could view it just fine on the iPad though heavily res'ed down and ugly over sharpened.

so, I wouldn't let it upgrade to the new safari if I were you and you plan to view very hi res images in this range :)

SergeiR

Has nothing to do with Safari 6.0. Worked fine here (on second generation Mac Air).

It is very questionable logical move, to load huge files in web browser. Web browsers are not intended to be image viewers in first place.

You might consider your limits with your ISP as well..

PeterL

You should check Preview - doubt there will be a problem there. As Sergei says, why would you use Safari to view images in the first place.

Cheers, -Peter

EDIT: Just downloaded the file - works fine in Preview.

yaya

Safari 6 here on a 2009 MBP, works fine with that jpeg image (nice shot BTW)

Maybe it's a 10.8 issue or as others suggested maybe some limitations on the store's ISP or network settings.

Professional

I really didn't understand here, in fact i skipped/quit to use Safari long time ago, i only use Google Chrome and new browser now, i have old MBPs and i will check how your photo looks like on them, i will not stop buying new Mac computers just because one photo has an issue, blame Safari not the system or computer.

dizzyg44

weird,

maybe it's a 10.8/safari 6 issue, order with their graphics .kext's.

We were laughing about it when one of their employees asked how we were doing so we showed him and he also tried on a couple others.

I didn't think of it until now, should've pulled the image file out of their browsers cache to open it with different apps (iphoto, preview, etc)

Last edited:

dizzyg44

Sergei/Peter: of course safari wasn't intended to be an ideal photo viewer, it was only used as typically the first place one would go to view content from the web would naturally be a web browser.

Yair: any bandwidth limitations of their ISP's wouldn't have any affect of the application to literally quit and generate crash report.

Professional: No ones trying to start an apple flame war here or say you shouldn't buy apple. I use strictly apple myself and won't go back to MS.

The whole purpose of my post was to simply share an issue I came across with Safari 6 and really large jpgs that I felt would be relevant to us as medium format users as we regularly deal with such high res images, nothing more.

SergeiR

Sergei/Peter: of course safari wasn't intended to be an ideal photo viewer, it was only used as typically the first place one would go to view content from the web would naturally be a web browser.
No it wouldn't. You naturally can grab golf cart to roll around apartment complex, but you wouldnt try to tow trailer with it, and complain, right?

There are reasonable limits to what things could/should be used for. Or we back to labels on not putting pets in microwaves, not using hair dryers in showers and so on.

So which one it was? Squares/black or crash reports?

You could have simple problem with memory running out when loading/expanding if someone already overloaded demo disks with too much stuff and loading other huge documents just for giggles - nowhere to swap and naturally - too much RAM used already.

Seeing that none of us would have system with such situation - we all were able to disprove hypothesis that this is web browser issue. So.. whatever left, no matter how impossible..

dizzyg44

As mentioned in my first post, it was on the Retina Display mac book pro's (mbp for short) that the application would crash.

The 27" imacs, the application wouldn't crash, but wouldn't render the image. Just tested on my late 2011 air running safari 6, loaded fine. hmm.

It wasn't any kind of scientific test. I tried on one retina mbp, didn't work, so I tried 4 or 5 more, same thing. Tried on their 27" imac as it doesn't use the same graphics chipset, it wouldn't render the image.

So, no thumb drive/external HDD, just a URL available to you at the moment to retrieve a file on systems that aren't yours so installing other applications isn't an option, what the hell else would you expect one to use?

SergeiR

One would use ctrl-click, perhaps.. (or right finger if you got modern mouse or right button if you got 2 button mouse).

I.e "save as". This is what people used since dawn of browsers, when file was obviously too large to handle or was some funky format (loading .tar archive files for example, which are treated as ascii by most browsers - could be FUN).

So its not S6. Its at glitch in new Macs hardware and/or lack of hard drive space. You can contact Apple support for this, if you like :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Could be a 10.8 driver issue? I retried on another 13in MBA running 10.8 and it renders the loading preview and then when complete renders just an image of coloured lines.

dizzyg44

Could be Graham, glad to know I'm not going crazy...

but either way, we're appearantly doing it wrong anyways by expecting a web browser to load a jpg from a url anyways :)