The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech camera, DM22 back, LCC?

Pemihan

I'm seriously contemplating getting a Alpa Max and a Alpa 35/5,6 APO-DIGITAR XL to use with my Mamiya DM22 back (same as Leaf Aptus II 5)

I see that a lot of you folks write "corrected with LCC" or something like that when presenting a picture.
Would anyone care to elaborate on that?

I'm new to MF and have never had a tech camera before....

Thanks
Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Peter,

You will find that all wide angle tech camera lenses will render a light drop off / colour cast towards the edge of their image circle where the light angle reaching the sensor gets more extreme. This colour cast is removable by shooting a grey lens colour cast (LCC) image using a translucent plate and then using the auto LCC correct filter in Capture One with the LCC image to remove it from your picture.

This is all normal.

Pemihan

Thanks Graham and Stephen...

Is there any way to remove it in Lightroom or Photoshop? I never been able to get into Capture One, I have tried but it just isn't me.

Do you have to shoot a LCC image after every shot or just once per lens?

Thanks
Peter

Pemihan

So I just got my tech kit. Ended up with a Cambo WRS and a 35 XL and 47 XL.
I will use it a lot for stitching and need to get some guidance regarding LCC.

First, do I shoot a LCC at the same aperture and shutterspeed as the actual image?

Second, for stitching I assume I need to do a LCC for every shot?

Thanks
Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That is correct Peter. What a lot of us do is say you are going to do a 3 shot stitch for example 15mm left , zero , 15mm right. First at your working aperture lets say F11 . I would start on the left 15mm mark take my normal shot, than move to zero and again normal shot, than one 15mm right take normal shot. Lets say you shutter speed was 1/125 for the normal shots . Than I would open up 2 stops to 1/30 of a second. Rack the shift all the way back to the 15mm left spot . Take that shot with LCC, than LCC zero and than right 15m.

Now you have in a row your there finals and than your 3 LCC following but in the same order. This way when in processing you know the first image in that series was 15mm left and the first one on the LCC was 15mm those two match each other. Run the LCC correction on the 15mm left than apply that correct on the image 15mm . Do that with all of them. Than you have 3 image shots with all the corrections. Your not done yet say you want more contrast, saturation or whatever make that now on one of the images than copy those settings on the other two.

NOW you have 3 images all corrected and ready to process and stitch in PS. I follow this because it is faster to shoot and you know exactly which matches which. Here is when you want to be religious in your shooting do NOT deviate once you have a flow, if you shoot like that do it every time this way even a year later you know you did it exactly the same way.

Others maybe different here but I find this the most logical way of doing things. We naturally go left to right to read and write so you don't get confused working in the same flow do the images first go back repeat and wash with the LCC.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks Graham and Stephen...

Is there any way to remove it in Lightroom or Photoshop? I never been able to get into Capture One, I have tried but it just isn't me.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/image-processing/40584-adobe-dng-flatfield-lcc-lightroom.html

Have you tried any formal Capture One Training or other introduction to the software and it's mentality/core-concepts? Just like any other comparison of tools half the battle is familiarity.

Just look through this forum at the percentage of C1 users versus LR - despite it's higher expense and longer learning curve. There are very good reasons to use C1.

But in my opinion it's a waste of your time to try to learn it just by fudging around with the buttons, and the written (PDF) manual isn't great at showing you how the program "thinks" (the underlying concepts and themes throughout the program that make it more easy to understand and operate).

Pemihan

Thanks Guy, very informative.. makes perfect sense.
And also thanks Dough, no I haven't had any formal training in C1, maybe I should try...

Peter

yaya

If you're on a Mac you can also try the Stitch script in Capture One. It is designed for flat stitching and it'll process the corrected RAW files into TIFF/ JPEG, launch PS and run the automated photomerge function with flat-stitch settings

However if you're heavily tuned into LightRoom, you can correct the files in Leaf Capture and save them as new RAWs which will have all the corrections embedded in them

Yair

If you're on a Mac you can also try the Stitch script in Capture One. It is designed for flat stitching and it'll process the corrected RAW files into TIFF/ JPEG, launch PS and run the automated photomerge function with flat-stitch settings

However if you're heavily tuned into LightRoom, you can correct the files in Leaf Capture and save them as new RAWs which will have all the corrections embedded in them

Yair
Hello Yair, that's interesting.. The stitch script, can you please elaborate, where can I find it in C1? That would make life much easier ... Thanks, Harshan

yaya

It's in the Script menu (next to the Help menu)

Note that it only exists on a Mac

Pemihan

I'm not able to find a LCC card here in Denmark, but have found a supplier of acrylic sheets.
They have three kinds with a light transmission of 33%, 42% and 89%.
Which would be the best?

Peter

yaya

Contact Goecker, if they don't have one in stock they can get it in about 14 minutes...

Pemihan

Yes Goecker can get one from Phase One... for the price of around €125 / $156......!!!!!
Robbery at broad daylight...!

I think I'll wait a month and order one from Capture Integration when I'm in the US, price $19,95..!

Pemihan

Guy, yes I have spoken with Steve and I'll order one and have it delivered to my hotel in Vegas so it's waiting for me when I arrive..