The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA rumors Photokina 2012

TLiu

Can anyone tell me what this means "The ALPA 12 FPS is a shutter module when it is used together with another ALPA 12 camera."? It does not look like a module that can be attached to another body to me.

stephengilbert

"I meant, it is good for non SB lenses if not attached with other cameras, or SB lenses as an module?"

The ALPA website has three pdfs showing a "normal" ALPA system, the FPS as a stand alone, and the FPS used with another ALPA body. It looks like you'd need SB lenses for the FPS even used alone, as well as a short adapter. The parts cost is going to add up.

goesbang

I can see a few places in my work where this unit could be useful. For example, I am doing a series of tight still-lifes as a part of my "urban decay" series (see my website for initial images). I'm travelling lots and this module might mean that my DF system (or the GX680) might not have to come with me just because I want to use one of my longer lenses. It could bring me much closer to my ideal of traveling with an ALPA-only kit, thus reducing the baggage dramas significantly.
Also, all those guys banging on about how the bokeh from the Phase LS lenses isn't as smooth as lens XYZ etc because lens XYZ has 20+(!) diaphragm blades can now perhaps use said lens in some situations.
Gotta get my head around what it's applications are for me, but I am very pleased to know that the versatility of the ALPA range just expanded yet again.
Cheers,

gerald.d

Stefan - the new Rodie 50mm is shown as the widest lens in Alpa mount.
I'm struggling to get my head around this.

From a theoretical perspective, there is surely no reason why there should be such a limit to the focal length of a lens that could be mounted on such a camera (right Stefan?)?

So what's going on here? Why have a design with such a limitation?

rga

I'm struggling to get my head around this.

From a theoretical perspective, there is surely no reason why there should be such a limit to the focal length of a lens that could be mounted on such a camera (right Stefan?)?

So what's going on here? Why have a design with such a limitation?
I think the 50 is now the widest lens that can be used with the SB 34 tilt/shift component in the Alpa lineup. This will change with their new 17mm SB mount and tilt/shift component...
Bob

dchew

I am excited simply because of the development. Kudos to Alpa, Arca and to some extent Cambo for continuing to develop products over the last few years. Their volumes cannot be that high. The volumes of digital backs are not that high, and not many of those get fitted to a tech camera, let alone an Alpa. Here's to moving the ball forward. :chug:

Certainly Sony and Nikon made some big advances this year. For some reason I don't have the same passion for the big companies in the big markets.

I do not think this camera is for me, but that does not dampen my enthusiasm!

Dave

dchew

So based on the new website, it looks like the following lenses will be available in short-barrel versions for the 17mm T/S:
Schneider: 60mm, 75
Rodenstock: 32, 40, 70

Interesting that the Rodi 50mm uses the 34mm T/S adapter but the 70mm uses the 17mm.
Alpa Tilt Lenses

I think the new website still needs some tweaks. The page above is titled, "Schneider Shift Tilt Lenses," yet it includes both Rodenstock and Schneider lenses, and also includes lenses not available in short-barrel versions.

Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As Dave states, there are two sets of short barrel lenses available in Alpa mount that will fit the FPS - 34mm mount and 17mm. The FPS camera is 17mm wide and so lenses need to be either 17mm short barrel mount directly to the body (17+17=34mm) or 34mm short barrel mount lenses with a 17mm spacer.

Thus direct fit widest is 32mm in 17mm fitting. The Rodie 50mm is the shortest lens available in standard 34mm short barrel fitting.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Now , as the ALPA thunderstorm and lightning is over , the air becomes clean and fresh again .
It is like in Beethovens 6th Symphony .
I would like to thank the ALPA team for that great job they have done here .
Congratulation . The job you have done deserves my highest respect .

I do like the new internet presence , although there still seem to be some little bugs .

I am still studying the technical details over again , to see if this FPS is what
I should go for .
But , there are also some concerns I have .

I find the focal flange length calculation rather tricky and looking at the diagrams , I can see that there are obviously two different types of FPS adapters (11 + 17 ) and they look different to the multi-use/macro adapter . Therefore , in the moment , I do not see the possibility for SB17 lenses to be attached . Might be my thinking is wrong . This calls for a clarification .

An other thing , which comes into my mind is : tolerances .
As an example . Looking at ALPA 12 PLATFORM 2 or 3 , I see 6 mechanical connections from lens to digital back . (HASSELBLAD lenses as example)
Shimming a digital back adapter , we are talking about possible measurements of 1/100 th of a millimeter . To keep this shimmed adjustment , there must not be any tolerance between all the adapters .
Can this be achieved ? ? ?

There will surely be many more questions in the near future .
Looking forward for all the hopefully objective discussions .