The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA rumors Photokina 2012

stephengilbert

I agree, Gerald, the FPS might make sense if there are good enough T/S lenses in Canon or Nikon mount, but if you have to pay for all the bits, it's hard to see how it makes sense as an adjunct to a Max or STC.

You'd need 34mm SB lenses, a 17mm FPS adapter, and a 34mm adapter if you want to use the lenses without the FPS.

Steve

P.S. But it certainly is beautiful.

dchew

Dave,

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me as if Alpa is planning special FPS adapters that are dual-female -- both a 17mm and a 17mm T/S. Hard to be sure from the size of the diagrams, though.

http://www.alpa.ch/dms/products/cameras/fps/fps_schemen/ALPA_12_Platform2-pdf/ALPA_12_Platform2.pdf

From what I can gather it'd be possible to use a 34mm SB lens with the 17mm TS adapter, the new FPS unit, and an IQ180 as a complete rig for tilt-only applications, no?

David
Yes I too think that is correct. What we were trying to figure out is whether there was any way to mount an SB17 lens on this camera. It does not appear there is an adapter to do so in any of the literature provided so far. The dimensions work out, but you end up with a male to male connection at the front of the camera.

Stephen, I think the choice on a male front to the FPS was for two reasons:
1. As Gerald pointed out, the camera appears to really have existing 12-series customers in mind. Anyone with a 12 can simply buy one 6mm adapter and have shift with any SB34 lens, plus any other non-Alpa system lenses (with appropriate adapter).

2. I still think there is the possibility in the future to design a coupling to mate male to male faces without adding length. That would allow 17SB lenses to be used. However, if the FPS had a female end, that would probably not be possible. In my head it would be exceedingly difficult to design a female to female nipple that did not add length.

Dave

Yes I too think that is correct. What we were trying to figure out is whether there was any way to mount an SB17 lens on this camera. It does not appear there is an adapter to do so in any of the literature provided so far. The dimensions work out, but you end up with a male to male connection at the front of the camera.
Dave,

A good part of the joy for me using the Alpas is hearing the satisfying clinks when closing the body connectors. The dual-female 0mm adapter you propose would be wonderful :lecture:

David

I agree, Gerald, the FPS might make sense if there are good enough T/S lenses in Canon or Nikon mount, but if you have to pay for all the bits, it's hard to see how it makes sense as an adjunct to a Max or STC.
Steve,

I agree with you. If I had one of these, I'd usually want to use it as the camera body. The shutter speed display and the shutter button seem very convenient, and the whole thing looks great! And one can hope that the firmware is every bit as pristine as the hardware is likely to be :thumbup:

David

Anders_HK

I fail to see the validity of what must be a very narrow niche product as FPS.

What Alpa should have done was revise STC to give it 25mm shifts to match 645 sensors for optimized right and left panoramic stitches. Plus of course given it proper dual handles.

Above along with Alpas stupid pricing for Hong Kong and poor support by their there Beijing agent poses questions. Cambo is already significand cheaper and sold from my Leaf agent who will back me 500% of way in or outside warranty and with a call from anywhere I travel worldwide. The Cambo WRS-400 is an interesting new player and already offer 20mm shift compared to STC 18mm. I will take some time to think...

Best regards,
Anders

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

You'd need 34mm SB lenses, a 17mm FPS adapter, and a 34mm adapter if you want to use the lenses without the FPS.

Steve

P.S. But it certainly is beautiful.

I think this is the crossroads on this product. It seems to me maybe the better choice is a tech cam with the great Rodie and SK glass. If you are after image quality these Lenses will be much better than any Canon/Nikon lens. Cost wise given the FPS is expensive plus all the parts it just might be comparable to a tech cam. It certainly is a beautiful product but where does it really make the most sense in the overall image chain?

Maybe I'm missing something.

gerald.d

Guy - one of the things to consider is that products such as the Hartblei HCam and the Alpa FPS enable the previously impossible to be possible.

Examples off the top of my head:

17mm lens on full frame MF sensor.
85mm f/1.2 delivering 63MP from a crop on FF MF sensor.
100MP full spherical panorama from just 3 shots using a 12.5mm fisheye lens.
Half-dome stills and timelapses 8000 pixels across with one shot.
400/2.8, 500/4.0, 600/4.0, 800/5.6, 1200/5.6 lenses on MF. Not sure exactly how much of a crop yet (hope to be testing soon), but possibly considerable - even full - coverage when also used with teleconverters.
Use of tech lenses with programmable focal plane shutter - electronic control of T exposures, time-delayed exposures, timelapses, panoramas when combined with something like the Seitz VR Drive.

And I'm sure there are many more :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

PeterA

The product fill the void of the Sinar M which is no longer in production (unfortunately) - and adds the 'benefits' of being able to use whatever glass you care to use for whatever reason(s) you may care to use it.

I will buy it - if get tired waiting for a mint Sinar M outfit to come on the market.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy - one of the things to consider is that products such as the Hartblei HCam and the Alpa FPS enable the previously impossible to be possible.

Examples off the top of my head:

17mm lens on full frame MF sensor.
85mm f/1.2 delivering 63MP from a crop on FF MF sensor.
100MP full spherical panorama from just 3 shots using a 12.5mm fisheye lens.
Half-dome stills and timelapses 8000 pixels across with one shot.
400/2.8, 500/4.0, 600/4.0, 800/5.6, 1200/5.6 lenses on MF. Not sure exactly how much of a crop yet (hope to be testing soon), but possibly considerable - even full - coverage when also used with teleconverters.
Use of tech lenses with programmable focal plane shutter - electronic control of T exposures, time-delayed exposures, timelapses, panoramas when combined with something like the Seitz VR Drive.

And I'm sure there are many more :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Thanks I thought of some of them but not all.

gerald.d

Had a long demo/look at the FPS today. This is a seriously impressive camera in the flesh.

Will be going back tomorrow (Thursday). If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll do what I can to get answers.

Regarding price, whilst there is no official comment, it was mentioned that the $8k guess is pretty close to what's expected. Availability? Expected to be in December.

gerald.d

Graham - from what I heard, it is a very good ballpark figure.

I'll try to press a little more tomorrow.

Don't forget that you'll need to add lens mounts to that. I'm guessing something in the upper range of the $1000-1500 band for each adapter, and would be pleasantly surprised if they come in under that.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Agreed on the extras needed but once you're in to a system (Alpa) it's nice to know that there are more options to try the plethora of alternative lens solutions.

I need a wide T/S first but the FPS looks appealing long term.

kdphotography

Agreed on the extras needed but once you're in to a system (Alpa) it's nice to know that there are more options to try the plethora of alternative lens solutions.

I need a wide T/S first but the FPS looks appealing long term.
Don't forget: CI in Carmel (Pigs) is in February 2013. You'll need to take delivery before then.

:D

ken

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Very interesting video in deed . IMO one of the most innovative products of the 2012 PHOTKINA . And beautifully engeneered .
Next will be the question for pricing .:rolleyes:

m21apsh

in "The Cutting Edge of Olde School"

The camera on the right hand side.
Is it a STC with a digital sliding back?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
NO , it is NOT an STC with a sliding back .
But I must admit , I did not understand the sliding , which can be seen in the video , as well . I will have to review the video .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Had a long demo/look at the FPS today. This is a seriously impressive camera in the flesh.

Will be going back tomorrow (Thursday). If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll do what I can to get answers.

Regarding price, whilst there is no official comment, it was mentioned that the $8k guess is pretty close to what's expected. Availability? Expected to be in December.

Gerald

Could you have an other look to the ALPA12FPS yet ? ? ?
Could you possibly explain , what it is about that sliding operation , which can be seen in the video ? ? ?