The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA rumors Photokina 2012

m21apsh

"It is the normal shift mechanism from the STC that moves the FPS. "

I don't think so.
If this STC is mounted on FPS, camera should be at right hand side.
This sliding back look bigger than FPS.

or is there a reason to mount FPS upside down?

danlindberg

The FPS is mounted upsidedown on the STC. You can actually see the DB being upsidedown as well.
And yes, there is a reason! Alpa wants to inspire out-of-the-box-thinking and trigger creative solutions. Showing that their tools are flexible and smartly designed for unusual or even not thought of use.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
So , if it is upside down , where is the handgrip then ? ? ?
I hope , we can see more pictures .

danlindberg

As with most Alpas you put on accesories that you find practical for the use. If The FPS is used solely as an add-on focal plane shutter module on existing bodies, I believe noboby would put on a handle.

DSemick

I had a chance to see the FPS yesterday.

The FPS hasn't any shift mechanism on it. It essentially is an electronic interface providing shutter, aperture, lens and possibly focus control.

The folks at Alpa are very excited about this system. They recognize many shooters have more than one camera system in their arsenal. The ability to integrate other lenses into the ALPA system, will open up new creative possibilities.

...more to come...

Denny

gerald.d

Apologies for not responding to the earlier question - only just seen it, and not had a chance to view the video, but clearly it has been addressed now.

Denny is spot on when he says the Alpa folks are excited about this camera. I didn't get the same sense of achievement and positivity towards a product from any other company on any other stand.

And I think I know why.

It's because - as Dan commented - even they don't know the potential of this camera. Different people will see different ways to use it that they didn't even contemplate when creating it.

Here's a great example.

I spent hours going round the stands trying to get the latest info on electronic shutters (so that I don't have to manually cock the shutter on my Rodie 70 when shooting multi-gigapixel panos. Had a long chat with the guys on the Seitz stand about whether they had any plans to add e-shutter control to the VR Drive 2.

Alpa stand is adjacent to Seitz. Go look at the FPS. Oh. Wait a moment. I don't need an e-shutter any more. Use the shutter in the FPS.

Hmm. But wait. Can the VR Drive control the FPS? They don't know. Hadn't looked into it (remember - Seitz manufacture both products).

Go back the next day.

"Hey - guess what. We hooked the two up, and it works like a dream. Out of the box(es)."

Now who in their right mind would consider shooting multi-gigapixel full spherical panoramas with a tech-cam lens on an MFDB? No-one. Me, in my crazy mind, wants to do it. Just because.

And so the FPS ends up solving a problem that it was never even designed to address.

Bloody marvellous, isn't it? :)

DSemick

I found it interesting to be able to have a discussion about..well....a lack of precision in creating ones imagery.

Andrea' commented they recognize there are many photographers whose creative vision is not founded in precise focus and perfect depth of field.

I like the fact that Alpa has now enabled us to throw a crusty lens with a small image circle on an IQ 180 and make art.

Hmmmm.....

Last edited:

gerald.d

So.. thoughts on the pricing?

Camera is pretty much spot on what I was expecting (although the recent weakening of the dollar has nudged it up in that currency), but $2000 for the Canon mount is pretty steep! Will be interesting to learn if the Canon mount can power the manual focusing on the 85/1.2.

For those who haven't clicked on the link yet, here are the main prices in CHF:

12 FPS: 7796
Comes with two batteries, charger, but not hand grip.

Hand grip: 357

Alpa 11mm adapter** - 653
Alpa 17mm adapter - 694
17mm T/S adapter - 1366 (seems like a no-brainer to choose that over the standard adapter to me)
Nikon F-mount, inc aperture control - 1758
Canon EF mount, inc aperture control - 1929
Mamiya adapter, manual - 1244 (you'll also need the 11mm adapter**)
HCF adapter, manual - 1244 (you'll also need the 11mm** and 17mm adapters)

No pricing on the cables yet.

Regards,

Gerald.

** - a 'traditional' Alpa 12 camera can be used in place of the 11mm adapter.

dchew

Aryan,
Actually these Schneider lenses have been trickling out for a while. I tried the 90mm almost a year ago in a Canon mount.

Dave

Aryan Aqajani

Yeah, I have seen them on B&H website but how about 28mm? And do you think they generally produce better IQ than Canon or Nikon PC-TS lenses?

dchew

I did a direct comparison between the Schneider and Canon 90mm's. Schneider was better, although not what I would call dramatic on a 24x36 frame. Below is an excerpt from an email I sent to someone else. I had some files on yousendit but they just expired a few days ago. If you are curious about the 90 I can repost them.

Dave

1. The Canon is significantly easier to use. Not only the aperture control in-camera, but setting shift, tilt and rotation are all basic and obvious. The Schneider is more "fumbly". Yeah I know not a word…

2. Everywhere the Canon is "easier", the Schneider is more precise. Beautifully machined.

3. Size: Obviously no contest here. But don't underestimate the effects of the bigger Schneider if you plan to be mobile with this lens: New bag, new filters (polarizer, ND, GND…), new tripod mount. It all adds up. If you are in-studio, then it doesn't matter.

4. Weight: This will sound weird, but the Schneider feels like you are holding a metal box of air. It is so big yet relatively light for it's size.

5. Resolution: Unshifted these two are pretty close. I do like the Schneider better. I don't know if it is sharper, better contrast or the way it "draws", but I do think it renders a little better. At max shift wide open the Schneider is way better near the edge of the image circle. Although this isn't really a fair test because the Canon is at f/2.8. My guess is they both clear up pretty nicely at higher f-stops.

Unfortunately my test was not completely robust. I did a series unshifted at different f-stops, and did a max shift wide open, but did not do a series of different f-stops at max shift. Sorry; I guess I was more curious about the lens than really serious about buying it so did not put it through a full range of tests.

Basically I didn't buy it because I don't use my Canon stuff much any more. I am shooting medium format with a technical camera. So spending a bunch of money for this lens made no sense. If I was still using 35mm as my primary system it would have been a tough choice, but I probably would have bought it.

Pinhua

Would someone can tell that if Alpa LB or SB17 lenses usable on this 12FPS camera, standalone or with other alpa bodies, thanks!

gerald.d

No - of the tech lenses, only the SB34's can be used with the FPS.

With just the FPS, you use them with the 17mm adapter. If you put another Alpa camera in the mix, you need the 6mm adapter.

Regards,

Gerald.