The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Wide RS or Alpa Max

Don Libby

I've had a Cambo WRS since shortly after it was released and love as much today as I did when I first got it.

Lightweight, (even after adding the wooden handles) easy to use, actually I can't find anything I don't like about it. I've never had a problem or concern with the movements and have found it easy to use both with and without gloves. I like the fast ability of switching lenses and can switch the back orientation with little problem.

Others may look sexier however I'm very pleased with my WRS.

Don

jlm

Workshop Member
re: Cambo, not much to it

to allow for enough shift down, the cambo has a riser on it's base onto which I have a fairly generic RRS baseplate.

on my tripod head (a cube) i replaced the Arca quick clamp with a RRS screw clamp, (not necessary, my preference is for the screw clamp)

PeterL

You should wait for at least a week, Photokina is around the corner. Alpa is coming out with a new camera, and who knows what others might have.... Just don't want you to make a hasty decision, when new stuff is coming out.

Cheers, -Peter

malmac

Thanks again all, very helpful info....

I thing I'm inclined to go the Cambo way, the size and all the movements on the back is what really suits me.
Going to a workshop would be wonderful, but I'm located in Denmark and the options here are quite limited in regards to getting my hands on the gear before buying..

My tripod system is Really Right Stuff, what do you Cambo users use as a quick release plate?
I have tried searching the RRS website, but cant find anything suitable..
I have a Cambo WDS - cousin to the WRS, with an IQ180 back.
Re the plate I was luck enough to have access to the resource to machine up a custom quick release plate to fit my RRS head. Yes I would like an Arca Swiss D4 head but just can't fine the spare cash at present.

The one thing I would look seriously at if buying another 'technical camera', given the rather limited experience I have had, is the alternative focus systems. Lots on this forum about that subject.

Enjoy your decision making.

Regards.

Mal

jotloob

Subscriber Member

danlindberg

I'm located in Denmark and the options here are quite limited in regards to getting my hands on the gear before buying..
It is a 40 minute train trip from Copenhagen to where I live. You are welcome to come over and try out my Alpa system before you commit. Bring your own flashcard and shoot away....
You can see below in my byline what I have in my bags :)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
It is a 40 minute train trip from Copenhagen to where I live. You are welcome to come over and try out my Alpa system before you commit. Bring your own flashcard and shoot away....
That is a very great and friendly offer , Dan . :thumbs:

Pemihan

Thank you very much for your generous offer Dan. I would really like that...
However I'm on my way to Latvia shortly, but maybe sometime early October.

Peter