The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting started with Medium?

Shashin

TLRs are a good way to enter 6x6 cheaply. The Mamiya C-series mentioned above are very flexible. Minolta and Yashica have fixed lens TLRs. The only other cheaper way to try out 6x6 would be to look at old folders like an Agfa Isolate. They will not have as good optics and you need to worry about light leaks, but if you find a working camera, they can be fun.

Bronica also made a 6x6 camera that might be a good option as it never survived the digital revolution. But this camera is more like a Hasselblad rather than the eye-level cameras you are looking at.

Fuji made 6x9 and 6x8 fixed-lens rangefinders that are excellent. But at that point I think you are starting to get to the price range of Pentax 67.

K

Kiri

Thanks for the advice Shashin. I'll look into some of those folders like the Isolate you mentioned. And also the Bronica ones.
The TLR cameras don't really appeal to me so much for some reason.

Valentin

I think Bronica would be your best bet as far as price. As Sashin mentioned, I never saw one working with a digital back. My advice is to get a system that will allow you later on to slap a digital back on it at a later time if you decide to do so.

Personally I would pay a little bit more to get into a system that can be used both with film and digital. The price difference is not that big.