The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Arca product 2012

S

solificati

Hi,

I'm evaluating options, and have some doubts. Could someone enlighten me about Arca combatibility? I heard that R lenses can be used on some monorails?

What bodies should I pick, if I want a small tech cam (Factum?), tech cam with more shift capabilities (stitching) and monorail for studio/on location shots with 60-120mm range? Could I use the same 60mm glass on monorail and plate camera?

Thanks in advance.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi,

I'm evaluating options, and have some doubts. Could someone enlighten me about Arca combatibility? I heard that R lenses can be used on some monorails?

What bodies should I pick, if I want a small tech cam (Factum?), tech cam with more shift capabilities (stitching) and monorail for studio/on location shots with 60-120mm range? Could I use the same 60mm glass on monorail and plate camera?

Thanks in advance.
Solificati,

If you're in NY you can come to our booth at the Photo Plus show today and see this solution.

If you're not we can show it to you with our Remote Demo Center: video+audio+screen+rawfile sharing.

In short: the Arca RM3 can be used as a front standard on a full sized Arca view camera. That provides the helical focus mount of the RM3 series and is great for macro and DOF stitching since the focus mechanism is really really precise.

You can also get a lens board for the full sized Arca view cameras which will mount the R-series lenses directly.

So in short: yes you can.

Arca Factum
Size: 135 x 140 mm (body only)
Weight: 640 grams ("factum" body + Variofinder + Adapter + Tripodhead)
Movement: +/- 15mm (total of 30mm)
Tilt: built-in to body. Available on every lens.
So I need to buy FAC for $1890 and take out TUM from my RM3Di.

Once I take out TUM, what I do with rest of RM3Di?

I understand Factum's shift mechanism allows horizontal and/or vertical movements of +/- 15mm.

RM3Di allows Vertical Rise/Fall 30/20mm, Lateral Shift 15/15mm?

So any other compromise with Factum except less Vertical Rise/Fall as compared to RM3Di?

Is RotaMount will work with Factum?

Thanks,

Subrata

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Rotamount is compatible yes.

The factum has ONE direction of movement. You can use that as rise/fall, or rotate the body and use it as shift. The RM3Di has both directions of movement natively.

Thanks Doug for the clarification. Then RM3Di's extra bulk justifies.

Subrata

Rotamount is compatible yes.

The factum has ONE direction of movement. You can use that as rise/fall, or rotate the body and use it as shift. The RM3Di has both directions of movement natively.