The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some Leaf 12II problems

TonHendriks

Who has any of the below mentioned problems with the Leaf 12?

1. Is it normal that the power consumption is that extraordinary? Where my old Leaf 7 could run for hours on 1 battery, I start seeing the 'yellow' sign already after 10 minutes and within 30 minutes most of my batteries are dead. I have 6 batteries now but don't dare to go outside even then. Is there a system so you can use Quantum accu's? Which, where to get?
2. Why does the Leaf 12 file opens by default in Lightroom (don't ask me to work in Capture and so, Lightroom is really the best, sorry) with a strange "beta" profile, instead of the very good embedded profile? It is annoying to have to change it all the time. Can this be fixed?
3. Why does the back not start up when I have my Sandisk Extreme cards inside? Can this be fixed in 1 way or another? Does it not start up with any card?
4. When the battery is dead I have to change it, and after the change the Afi camera does not work anymore, saying that the back "is busy".
5 Why is it impossible to make a Xrite colorchecker profile? The system crashes while making it.
Thank for any light on these issues.

Ton

Stefan Steib

Ton while I cannot tell you much about the lightroom prob, I can probably shed some light on:
Battery life - check your charger ! Many cheaper chargers -and I definitely count the Hähnel to that pack age and do not charge correctly anymore.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/mediu...29403-best-charger-phase-bp915-batteries.html

Hcam offers a special modified 4 slot Dolgin charger to solve this.

About the cards: I would not recommend the Sandisk extreme cards. I had 2 customers running into problems with them. Sure shot working stuff - Lexar !
This is also recommended by Leaf as far as I know. The Aptus II12 seems to be a bit picky on that.

Regards
Stefan

Graham Mitchell

I have had issues with CF cards too. The only stable cards I've found are Sandisk Extreme. Other cards from Sandisk, Lexar and A-data were unreliable with this back.

stephengilbert

Ton, On a Mac, you can change the default program when a device or card is attached. As Doug explained to me some time ago,

Open Image Capture, then

If you're in Lion (10.7) plug in your device and change the setting specific to that device.

If you're in Snow Leopard then go to [Image Capture > Preferences] and change the universal setting there.

Anders_HK

Ton,

Per my take;

1. I prior had Aptus 65, same sensor as Aptus-II 7 except 28MP crop of it. Using the original dual charger that display percentage of power left helps me manage power in my batteries. One of my 5 batteries now seems to have a problem and I have marked them to be able to identify. I guess simply some older batteries may not always hold the charge well. Yes, with 80MP batteries do not last as well but above is how I manage it. Half hour sound tad short but I never timed it. My newest battery is in Hy6 handle (my Hy6 take Leaf battery).

2. With Aptus 65 I used Camera Raw but switched to Capture One Pro when it was announced it could read Leaf files. Having demoed Capture One already many years before I had not liked it, but was amazed by how much Capture One matched my brain for photographic processing with my Leaf files, and much better quality images using Capture One than Camera Raw, I would not dream using camera Raw with my 80MP files and with Capture One they are managable to process on my 17" Macbook Pro SSD ~2008! I recommend you to look careful at Capture One Pro and the tutorial videos to learn. If you learn it, I will bet your images will improve!

3. After advised to each time reformat the cards on my Mac I have no problems. Thus I now do not mere delete files but full reformat my card.

4. Mine too, I will ask DHW. Current I will swith back off.

5. Using Capture One I do not see a need to. The colors are not mere accurate as default but very pleasing to my like as departure point indeed. Unlike DSLR the back was very accurate tuned in factory. The AFi-II 12 made me give up beloved Velvia 50 slide film, In no way does it give me same resuts, but the same sensation and satisfaction I had from colors of film. They are very very good and I see no reason to caibrate and not at all to rely on adobe, Leaf is a Phase One company and they know how to make the very best profiles and conversions.

Best regards,
Anders

TonHendriks

Hi every one, Stefan, Graham, Stephen, Anders, thanks for your answers and support.

I see that concerning the card problem I hear different and opposing stories. I contacted my dealer and he says this should not happen. They consider now sending it back to Israel as there is still guarantee. It does not sound practical at all to format your card on the Mac, so much extra work, it should just work fine in the Leaf.

Stephen, I did not mean Lightroom opens by default. In fact nothing happens and the first thing I do is converting the compressed files into Lightroom readable ones, because, but that is another discussion that I like to continue, I find Lightroom more beautiful and more sharp. No, the question is about Lightroom choosing a strange "beta" profile. This profile should not be in the back at all! It never was in my Leaf 7. That is the strange thing, but as you all seem to you Capture one, you don't have this issue.

Concerning the charger, I use a Chinese charger from a local battery shop, that sells huge batteries for the Leaf. But I saw pictures of a 4 fold charger, sound interesting, where can you buy this? I don't see it on the Hartblei website.

Thanks all and may see you at FotoKina.

Anders_HK

Ton,

It will be very useful if you post of your further findings.

I prior used a set of three cheap Chinese chargers. I now much more value the larger dual charger that shows percentage of batteries.

Best regards,
Anders

TonHendriks

Hi Anders and anyone

The Leaf 12 is now sent back to Israel for a checkup. The shop agreed that is was unusual concerning the cards.
If it returns I will test again power consumption and all other things.
Can anyone tell me where you can obtain that dual charger with percentage display?
Regards, Ton, Amsterdam

I will see them this week on FotoKina.

Ton Hendriks photography

Anders_HK

Hi Anders and anyone
Can anyone tell me where you can obtain that dual charger with percentage display?
Ton Hendriks photography
I got mine from my Leaf agent in Hong Kong. I suggest you ask your dealer. It is the Hahnel dual charger listed on this page Digital Back Accessories - Capture Integration - Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equi

kdphotography

I'm on my second Hahnel charger for my Phase MFDB. It looks slim sleek and shiny on your studio desk, but once put into use, it scratches quite easily and doesn't like to be stuffed into a camera bag for travel. Yeah, kinda fragile for what it is---a battery charger! Btw, I'm almost as anal as Don Libby in taking care of my equipment, so that should place my comments in context. ;)

Mine still works, but on one side the lights don't work anymore. Would I buy another? Hell, no. This is what's in my wish list at B&H: Pearstone Duo Battery Charger for Canon DLC-CNBP915 B&H Photo

There's also a smaller travel version.

ken

TonHendriks

Hi Every One
I got my back return form Israel. Unfortunately they did not really check their repairs. So I still have got the same problem concerning the non starting up with cards. They said they tested it with an empty formatted card. Yes, that does not give a problem, only when you start making photos and writing on the card. I am afraid I will have to send it back again, and wait again for 3 weeks.

TonHendriks

Hi Everyone

I noticed another quite annoying problem and am curious weather any of you have had this before. There is a magenta cast at the sides of every file. I photographed my white ceiling and see everywhere magenta at the borders. This also influenced the white balance. when you pipet in the middle the side is magenta, when you pipet at the side the middle becomes green cyan like. It seems to have relation with a file calibration, and a sort of Gain file. As I had this with my old Aptus 65 as well, and from that back I never got rid of it.

jeanlucco

All, regarding power, I use now a Quantum cable SD16 + Turbo2 battery to power my Leaf AFi7II. So far I was always the first one to give up to shoot :) I cannot tell for how long you can shoot in continue and use your back. My guess wil be around 6 to 8 hours non stop.