The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Photokinia Press Release

gazwas

There were some issues with the original EJJI, though rare, that could cause it to expand during use and get stuck in the body.

Phase One wanted the capability, so they took it in house and made sure such issues wouldn't happen.

Make more sense now?
First I've been told about such problems and Ken and Don seem pretty happy.... sounds more like an excuse than a genuine reason for the price difference. :thumbdown:

gerald.d

Re the battery - no mention of whether it can be used with the AF, but I believe I'm right in saying that the EJJI could, but and so presume this can too?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The current eyecup no longer falls out since it now locks on.
Replacements for the older style have been available for awhile.
Question on the AF adjustments.
Is that a global adjustment or is it lens dependent?
It would be NICEST if it were both a global offset as well as a per lens offset which would be summed.
-bob

Christopher

Only one question: Is there an upgrade from the Phase AF to the DF+ ? I'm only asking because I would like to use some of the LS lenses with the LS, however, I will certainly not pay 4,2k on a crappy body. If thats all phase has to over I prefer to sell all the 645 stuff, keep my arca and get a d800...

gerald.d

Doug - regarding your PM, it was you that said the issue was rare, not me. Regardless of any issues faced by individuals, rare instances such as the one you describe must surely be down to poor QC.

My opinion isn't altered that an improvement in QC does not justify such a price increase.

Regards,

Gerald.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It might be a great body no matter what it looks like.
What I would like to hear is a whole bunch of details and comparative measurements that describe the differences.
The vague "more better" is just not very compelling.
-bob

6x6

It sure looks like Phase have decided to focus much more on the tech camera side of the market. An Alpa / Cambo in combination with their backs can't be beaten.

I have a feeling that portrait people should simply look elsewhere.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Only one question: Is there an upgrade from the Phase AF to the DF+ ? I'm only asking because I would like to use some of the LS lenses with the LS, however, I will certainly not pay 4,2k on a crappy body. If thats all phase has to over I prefer to sell all the 645 stuff, keep my arca and get a d800...

This is a great question on upgrade path. Last time we where able to upgrade for a minimal fee from our existing bodies. Hoping something will come up on that. Again I would not put much stock in the pricing as new owners I'm sure they will bundle this with a back purchase like they do today. For the real price this will come down to dealers as it always has in the past. MSRP is just that a suggested price.

Now folks its far easier to sell a reliable camera with improvements than one that has had some issues. I agree it may not be the new camera that is speculated but if they went in and made it much more robust in operation with much better reliability than that's a good thing. At least as a Pro on a gig you can get a job done without a failure. Something to be said for that. This may not help existing owners that much if they are running okay but for new buyers with bundling its a good thing.

gazwas

An enhanced auto-focus delivers accurately focused images fast, even when shooting in low light or low contrast. And with an all-new custom adjustment feature photographers can fine-tune the alignment of digital backs to the camera. With this photographers can easily match their focus preference.
Does this mean we still only get the central very vague big blob in the middle of the viewfinder from the current DF? Could Phase not have raided Nikon's parts bin from a discontinued older generation camera, say a Nikon F4 to give us better AF performance in a 645 camera?

Granted AF has improved in every version of the Mamiya 645AF but only by baby steps. Do we assume the same for the DF+, its a tiny bit better and faster?

Doug, I bet you were dreading this announcement............. :cry:

Guy Mancuso

It might be a great body no matter what it looks like.
What I would like to hear is a whole bunch of details and comparative measurements that describe the differences.
The vague "more better" is just not very compelling.
-bob
I agree Bob this is very vague. Like to hear what was done in detail.

Guy Mancuso

Does this mean we still only get the central very vague big blob in the middle of the viewfinder from the current DF? Could Phase not have raided Nikon's parts bin from a discontinued older generation camera, say a Nikon F4 to give us better AF performance in a 645 camera?

Granted AF has improved in every version of the Mamiya 645AF but only by baby steps. Do we assume the same for the DF+, its a tiny bit better and faster?

Doug, I bet you were dreading this announcement............. :cry:
One would hope they spread these out further for sure. Agree folks we need more details. Hopefully in the coming days we will hear more. I'm counting on dealers and reps to give us more info as its made available . Right now this is all that we received for press releases. Who knows if this is the end of them. Some companies I know for a fact don't put much stock in Photokinia timing and release product throughout the year. Case in point Leica only announces at Photokinia from the past. So hard to say what's coming or not.

jagsiva

Maybe wishful thinking, but the week is still young...

Perhaps this is a "refinement" of the current DF to keep the traditionalists an evolutionary platform, and later in the week, a kick-***, category redefining body, that integrates seamlessly with the IQ will be announced. Perhaps it is a looks/feels/works like a 1D or D800 you can smack an IQ on to...or perhaps, the wine last night has not worked itself out of my system yet.

6x6

This is the classic press release followed immediately by firehose to douse the angry flames technique.

gazwas

This is a great question on upgrade path. Last time we where able to upgrade for a minimal fee from our existing bodies. Hoping something will come up on that.
If that is the case and they offer it at a sensible price the upgrade for the battery alone is worth it but at the full retail the EJJI option for the current DF looks the best option.

Guy Mancuso

If that is the case and they offer it at a sensible price the upgrade for the battery alone is worth it but at the full retail the EJJI option for the current DF looks the best option.
I don't want to speculate but a upgrade path would be nice. I say that as a consumer and nothing more.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No Phase One sponsored/official body upgrade pricing. Dealers are of course free to make their own upgrade programs.

Notably however you don't need to upgrade your entire back/body kit (e.g. H4D-H5D) in order to access the body improvements. Any back or accessory compatible with the DF is compatible with the DF+.

Don Libby

Regarding the EJJI battery - I happened to be in Atlanta when CI got the shipment and helped open the boxes in March. Not certain which version this was however I've been using the battery since then and am very pleased with no problems. The battery has worked well in all types of shooting conditions. If I were to upgrade the body I'd have no problems using the current EJJI batteries.

Regarding the eyecup - Bob beat me to it. The original one sucked and I actually finally lost it someplace here (by now inside a buffalo). The new improved locking one is simply great. You really need to want to remove it in order to take it off. My hope is that all future bodies are being shipped with the new eyecup.

I think that it's too early to dismiss this as not all the full information is out yet. For me I'll sit back with an open mind and wait to see what people say who actually see the body.

Don

I'll admit there are some things I find I like about the announment.....

Christopher

Thanks doug, at least I know I can sell the stuff soon. 4k to upgrade, rofl.... just a bad joke and we don't even have April 1st...

markymarkrb

Definitely disappointed. As soon as I saw the picture, I knew this was going to be ugly. At least my DF didn't loose all of its value 20 minutes ago with this announcement.

Mark