The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Photokinia Press Release

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Phase One introduces the world’s most versatile camera platform for high-end photography

Introducing the Phase One 645DF+ camera platform and Schneider Kreuznach 28mm LS f/4.5 Aspherical lens

COPENHAGEN, September 17, 2012 — Phase One, the world’s leader in open-platform, high-end camera systems and solutions, today announced the world’s most versatile camera platform for high-end photography.

With support for more than 50 different digital medium format digital backs and 80 different lenses from leading brands, and featuring a new high-powered rechargeable Li-ion battery enabling up to 10,000 captures on a single charge, the new Phase One 645DF+ camera sets a new standard for professional performance.

The Phase One 645DF+ builds on the success of previous generations of the camera and has undergone a complete overhaul of all moving parts to produce a camera with the highest uptime in the market of high-end photography.

An enhanced auto-focus delivers accurately focused images fast, even when shooting in low light or low contrast. And with an all-new custom adjustment feature photographers can fine-tune the alignment of digital backs to the camera. With this photographers can easily match their focus preference.

Also today, Phase One announced the Schneider Kreuznach 28mm LS f/4.5 Aspherical lens. With superb edge-to-edge sharpness, a viewing angle of 102°, a minimum focusing distance of only 35 cm / 1.15 feet and fast flash synchronization capabilities up to 1/1600s, it is ideal for interior photography. It is also a perfect companion for landscape, architecture and cityscape images.

“Phase One’s newest products are designed to give photographers the tools they need to improve their creativity and productivity,” said Jan H. Christiansen, marketing director, Phase One. “Phase One is committed to a collaborative, open approach in digital imaging. Together with our partners and customers, we are opening new possibilities in creative excellence.“

The 645DF+ is one of only a few cameras on the market that supports both focal plane and leaf shutter lenses. Its range extends from exposures of up to 60 minutes to as fast as 1/4000s. It facilitates flash synchronization speeds of up to 1/1600s with leaf shutter lenses from Schneider Kreuznach

The Phase One 645DF+ builds on a highly reliable, proven technology platform comprising quality components designed for the demanding professional workflows. The core body of the 645DF+ camera is primarily aircraft grade aluminum and magnesium. In combination with fine-tuned mechanics, state-of-the-art electronics and great ergonomics, this ensures a highly durable product, matching the most demanding requirements of the worlds’ leading photographers.

Availability and pricing
The Phase One 645DF+ camera body is priced at 4290 EUR / 5990 USD. It is also available under the Mamiya Leaf brand name (see today’s related announcement). The Schneider Kreuznach 28 LS lens is priced at 4290 EUR / 5990 USD. Both the camera and lens are available for ordering now; volume shipping begins in October 2012.

The rechargeable Li-ion battery and charger comes at no additional cost with the 645DF+. A kit consisting of two batteries and a charger can also be purchased stand-alone and used together with the 645DF+ or 645DF camera. This kit costs 560 EUR / 690 USD. The battery kit is available for ordering now and volume shipping will start in October 2012.

The Phase One 645DF+ camera body is also available in various bundles with a variety of lenses and digital backs from Phase One. For more details, please see your nearest Phase One dealer: Phase One partner locator

About Phase One
Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform, high-end camera systems and solutions. Phase One cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One and Media Pro software help streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.

For more information, please visit Phase One at Camera systems | Raw converter for leading cameras Follow Phase One on Twitter at Phase One (PhaseOneWW) on Twitter and on Facebook at: Phase One | Facebook

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Sydney, and Tel Aviv.

Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

# # #

DF+ with 28 LS lens

28 LS lens

6x6

Forgive me for being overly negative. Is the 645DF+ camera just an enhancement to the battery, some sort of shimming mechanism and auto focus? For almost $6k.

I bet the eye cup still falls off when you turn it upside down or put it in a bag. Certainly looks like the same one from the photo.

Please say this is not the only Phase One announcement for Photokina.

If it is, au revoir Phase One.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Next notable detail, the 28mm LS is shipping now. Sounds saleish, but if this is a lens you want, I'd put your order it this morning. Since it's actually shipping and is (by far) the widest LS lens available for the platform I expect the back-log to form quickly.

kipling

seriously disappointing.

my dealer told me almost a year ago that phase was working on a revolutionary new camera. he was told by phase one that it would be a completely new camera and ground breaking.

are you kidding me?

the diddle daddle crap af has been improved on and a new battery?
how could they not improve on the af? if it works at all it could be considered an improvement.

I love the backs and the software, but this it's like what? the 23rd mamiya 645 that still sucks *****

unbelievable.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
my dealer told me almost a year ago that phase was working on a revolutionary new camera. he was told by phase one that it would be a completely new camera and ground breaking.

are you kidding me?

the diddle daddle crap af has been improved on and a new battery?
how could they not improve on the af? if it works at all it could be considered an improvement.
When the 65+ shipped people were disappointed the LCD and user interface hadn't been improved. But the revolutionary IQ was in development long before the 65+ shipped. Revolutions can take a while :).

Assuming it performs as indicated the Phase One DF+ body is now more robust, reliable, and has a few nice features (e.g. AF fine tune), today as compared to yesterday and is the same price as the DF was. Not a revolution, but a solid improvement.

gerald.d

Forgive me for being overly negative. Is the 645DF+ camera just an enhancement to the battery, some sort of shimming mechanism and auto focus? For almost $6k.

I bet the eye cup still falls off when you turn it upside down or put it in a bag. Certainly looks like the same one from the photo.

Please say this is not the only Phase One announcement for Photokina.

If it is, au revoir Phase One.
Shimming seems highly unlikely to me. I suspect it's just a micro-focus adjustment in the AF algorithm.

6x6

I am all in on Phase gear. I shoot portraits and so this is always going to be my angle when I look at gear.

It sounds like Phase have taken an existing camera with known and documented issues, put in a limited amount of investment and made small improvements. Now they are looking to charge full $$$ for the privilege of owning it.

I love Phase backs, they are fantastic. Its the bit that sits in front that makes an amazing company look cheap and nasty. If Phase can't see that they have no hope.

gazwas

560 EUR for the recargable battery when you can purchase the EJJI branded original for 430 EUR....... :wtf:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
All I know is the AF is greatly improved and reliability has been also greatly improved and all issues addressed.

I would NOT put full stock in the pricing. This will come down to dealers and such. Like anything else this is MSRP. I'm sure as the days roll on we will hear more details from our dealers.

kdphotography

I like that Phase One was listening about the rechargeable lithium battery insert being "standard equipment" as opposed to the current optional purchase. This new battery is that good. If anything, the inconsistency of AA battery power was the achilles heel of the platform, imho. The lithium battery insert for the DF solves this.

I think it's easy to be impatient in this world of fast moving tech---"I want it now" type attitude. I'm happy with the current DF platform, and look forward to any improvements, which as a DF+ seem to indicate more of a bridge camera to some better body in the future. I've had good success with the autofocus, but as MFDBs increase in resolution so has the need for more accurate AF. I'm not looking for DSLR performance, but improvements that help me do my job better and easier are always welcome.

I'd be interested in hearing about any upgrade/trade-in programs for current DF owners.

ken

kipling

doug please, 5k for baby steps and another "just wait until the next one comes" song? really? if there is a cat, then let the d*** thing out of the bag before it suffocates.

good luck with selling the new and improved amc pacer.

When the 65+ shipped people were disappointed the LCD and user interface hadn't been improved. But the revolutionary IQ was in development long before the 65+ shipped. Revolutions can take a while :).

Assuming it performs as indicated the Phase One DF+ body is now more robust, reliable, and has a few nice features (e.g. AF fine tune), today as compared to yesterday and is the same price as the DF was.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
560 EUR for the recargable battery when you can purchase the EJJI branded original for 430 EUR....... :wtf:
There were some issues with the original EJJI, though rare, that could cause it to expand during use and get stuck in the body.

Phase One wanted the capability, so they took it in house and made sure such issues wouldn't happen.

Make more sense now?

gerald.d

There were some issues with the original EJJI, though rare, that could cause it to expand during use and get stuck in the body.

Phase One wanted the capability, so they took it in house and made sure such issues wouldn't happen.

Make more sense now?
No. If the issue was "rare", then a tightening up of quality control does not justify the price increase.

Christopher

Sorry but this is a bad joke... You can tell me as much as you want how much the AF is better and so on, but it's just sad.... Even the Hassi announcement looks 10times better so far.... and I wasn't happy with that one either...