The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Photokinia Press Release

IsakBergwall

Nenes if you are so hanged up on design maybe you should start looking at a Hello Kitty camera or something.. :p

Porsche have gotten away with this design thinking for over 40 years.. (must be fun to have a trained chimpanzee as head of design though..)

I personally think that the afd/df body is a beautiful design that is much more ergonomical Than the H system and alot more better looking. That silverpaint on the H system might have been a cool thing to match your thinfoil space jacket in the 90's to, but its getting old real fast.. As long as the ergonomics works I think they should put their money on the inside instead..

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
HASSELBLAD AT LEAST CHANGE THE DESING OF THE CAMERA!!!!
MAMIYA has never been a camera to follow,(not in desing ,not in technology,not in lenses) until phaseone backs came out and hasselblad closed their sistem...IF MAMIYA WILL HAVE A HASSELBLAD 503 cw DESING i will be happy to keep going with it (same desing)and better technology but it is not the case
I buy these things for function, not design.
The only quibble I have is the absence of a waist level finder option and more AF points.
Mainly I want a stable reliable system that just keeps going and doesn't surprise me in the middle of a shoot.
-bob

hcubell

I am very excited but I KNOW NOTHING
That's ok. The only people who are excited about any of these announcements fall into one of three categories
1. People who know nothing.
2. People who do know everything and have to appear to be excited because they sell the equipment for a living.
3. People who belong to the Hy6 Club.

What a collection of underwhelming announcements. The good news is there is not anything here that will even tempt me to dig deep into my pockets. However, I really did expect Phase to announce a truly new from the ground up body that would surpass the Contax, the H series and the Hy6. The last thing I expected was a slight refresh of the AFD/DF.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That's ok. The only people who are excited about any of these announcements fall into one of three categories
1. People who know nothing.
2. People who do know everything and have to appear to be excited because they sell the equipment for a living.
3. People who belong to the Hy6 Club.

What a collection of underwhelming announcements. The good news is there is not anything here that will even tempt me to dig deep into my pockets. However, I really did expect Phase to announce a truly new from the ground up body that would surpass the Contax, the H series and the Hy6. The last thing I expected was a slight refresh of the AFD/DF.
I KNOW NOTHING about C1 v7 and don't sell it either :angel:

archivue

"Assuming it performs as indicated the Phase One DF+ body is now more robust, reliable, and has a few nice features (e.g. AF fine tune), today as compared to yesterday and is the same price as the DF was. Not a revolution, but a solid improvement."

i thought when i bought it that my DF was a pro camera... robust, reliable... i was wrong !

For a body only that cost more than a D800 (including sensor), it's a bit disappointing...
so, i'm not shure that i will upgrade it soon !
Still my RM3D is working like a charm...

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
so anyone have any idea if the focal plane shutter opens with MLU so the leaf shutter can offer less vibration?

gazwas

Keep hearing about how small HB/Phase/Leica are and how small a company/resources they have and best use of funds yadder yadder!

How come then, companies that operate in the even smaller tech camera market can release multipul exciting new cameras at Photokina but the big three players dish up these luke warm upgrades and still dare to charge at these massivly elevated prices?

Paul Spinnler

Keep hearing about how small HB/Phase/Leica are and how small a company/resources they have and best use of funds yadder yadder!

How come then, companies that operate in the even smaller tech camera market can release multipul exciting new cameras at Photokina but the big three players dish up these luke warm upgrades and still dare to charge at these massivly elevated prices?
Tech cameras except the newly announced FPS are just CNC machined frames selling for way too much money. The complexity of building a medium format camera with AF, firmware upgradability, battery system that communicates with a digital back is way more complex.

You need one engineer to develop a new alpa body, you probably need a couple for whole new camera system.

You just can't compare both ...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
so anyone have any idea if the focal plane shutter opens with MLU so the leaf shutter can offer less vibration?
I meant to imply above that all other functions of the DF remain --- no way to get the mirror up and FP shutter primed ahead of leaf shutter. I even asked if that could be a firmware revision and was told no. I know, that sucks for us...

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I meant to imply above that all other functions of the DF remain --- no way to get the mirror up and FP shutter primed ahead of leaf shutter. I even asked if that could be a firmware revision and was told no. I know, that sucks for us...
Makes it easy for me, prob. no reason to buy the camera. (I manual focus and lately focus stack more and more).

Maybe it will help a little, hopefully someone will test the new 240LS with and without the leaf shutter to see if helps at all with the FP shutter bounce.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I will add that I STRONGLY encouraged them to move that project to a top priority, as I had just cautioned them that the limited DF+ announcement would likely not be seen as a positive one for them...
I guess we can hope this was sort of a no brainer upgrade, and the real purpose was to make the current camera a little better since it's been a while, and not really targeted as an upgrade path, more as something for new buyers or for those whose DF bodies are on their last leg.

I hope they didn't blow a lot of R&D and other development resources on it ...

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I buy these things for function, not design.
The only quibble I have is the absence of a waist level finder option and more AF points.
Mainly I want a stable reliable system that just keeps going and doesn't surprise me in the middle of a shoot.
-bob
Amen to that. Not much to ask is it?

Btw, like Don/Ken I also use the EJII battery system in my DF and so far no unexpected lock ups.

The 28LS could have been interesting to me if the optics were different but it doesn't seem so - looks like just the leaf shutter.

Still no 240LS ...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This in from Phase One

Phase One marketing --

1) the 28mm Aspherical is in fact shipping now (the press release had indicated October)

2) the 240 mm lens is shipping Q4

lance_schad

Workshop Member
This in from Phase One

Phase One marketing --

1) the 28mm Aspherical is in fact shipping now (the press release had indicated October)

2) the 240 mm lens is shipping Q4
I can confirm it is shipping and we should have at least one in house here at Digital Transitions by next week .

Lance