The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Photokinia Press Release

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
OMG my old D100 and my D800 look about the same too.
-bob
Same goes for my F4 / F5 and D700 / D800 / D3s, and those cameras have about a 30 year lineage between the earliest and newest. :thumbs:

(Okay, I admit it... I'm a Nikon junkie :grin:)

hcubell

Photokina 2030: "We are thrilled to announce a major upgrade to the most flexible medium format platform in the world, the Phase DF++++++++++."

Aryan Aqajani

From DF+ announcement to HB Lunar, what these companies are thinking!? No, seriously!? Still in love with RZ! I think I need to say goodbye to all these digital BS very soon when none of these companies listen to what their customers need, maybe except the new Hy6 Mod2!

gazwas

Worth noting for anyone interested in high flash sync speeds with the LS lenses is I've just looked at the specs of the new 240LS on the Mamiya Leaf site and the top sync speed for this lens is 1/800 sec. A spec the Phase One website doesn't mention or has been highlighted in any info released by Phase.:confused:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Worth noting for anyone interested in high flash sync speeds with the LS lenses is I've just looked at the specs of the new 240LS on the Mamiya Leaf site and the top sync speed for this lens is 1/800 sec. A spec the Phase One website doesn't mention or has been highlighted in any info released by Phase.:confused:
It's actually an issue with any large leaf shutter, they simply cannot cycle as fast as a smaller leaf shutter. That particular lens has a very large leaf shutter, so it's max speed is 1/800th to begin with, not 1/1600th like it's smaller sisters. It's nothing Phase left out of the spec, it will be there when they go to market with it -- they were very up front about that when they showed us the lens in Denmark last month.

I shot with the prototype while I was there BTW, and it is quite probably the single best optic of any brand I have ever used...

anGy

So are you saying its the same design as the 28D but with LS and a Schneider badge?........ Surely not!
Same lens construction, same min focal distance. I guess so. That's what they did already with the 150mm also: better lens barrel, leaf shutter, but same glass and half a stop less fast.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Looks like something was lost in translation on the show floor. The calibration will in fact be one universal offset for the body.

While that isn't a big deal for each lens (given that the autofocus drive and sensor are both in the body the chance of per-lens issues is quite small) it does disappoint me regarding backs. The majority of owners only have one back, but rental houses, and production facilities (and us as dealers) have many bodies and many backs. Since it's not per-back (e.g. tied to back's serial) this means you'll have to write down or remember the calibration for any given body and enter the calibration when you switch bodies.

Of course it's still a major improvement from not being able to do it at all and for the vast majority of users these details won't matter - alas I will not be one of those users since I regularly use any one of a dozen bodies and backs :-(.

Sorry for the misunderstanding - hope it's clear I was not trying to mislead. Sometimes in live reporting you just get things wrong, and with two languages and a lot of hubub Photokina is ripe for that sort of thing.

The user controllable focus calibration is
- PER back
- PER lens
- PER body

So if you have two backs, two bodies, and five lenses you can make sure that any combination is perfectly matched. No trip to the factory

While in five years I've only had a handful of customers send their gear in for focus calibration issues I certainly welcome this as a great step forward. It gives all the promised benefits of a closed system where the body+back are locked together in firmware while keeping all the benefits of an open system where you can use any body (new/used/borrowed/rented) with any back (new/used/borrowed/rented).

Now I just need confirmation which lenses and backs will support this feature. That's the sort of nitty gritty I'm not sure we'll get an answer to until closer to shipping date.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Same lens construction, same min focal distance. I guess so. That's what they did already with the 150mm also: better lens barrel, leaf shutter, but same glass and half a stop less fast.
Got confirmation today: same elements, same grouping, same basic optical design.

Lens design guys got back to me and said the air gaps were modified and the lens element centering techniques were improved. To be honest I don't know what that means beyond their textbook definitions. And to be honest I don't really care what they say so much as what our tests show.

In that regard we received our first 28LS for demo and several for sale. Our initial test in the office today vs. the 28D showed much more improvement than I expected. To the point where I'm fairly certain the test was off in some way. We'll be retesting tomorrow.

Stefan Steib

Maybe they bought a K8 made by Zeiss , probably the most sophisticated device on the market , that´s what´s used for montage of our lenses in Oberkochen.

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/ProspektK8_d_PDF/$File/K8_d_Version_011207.pdf

regards
Stefan

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Maybe they bought a K8 made by Zeiss , probably the most sophisticated device on the market , that´s what´s used for montage of our lenses in Oberkochen.

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/ProspektK8_d_PDF/$File/K8_d_Version_011207.pdf

regards
Stefan
All well and good but at nearly $5k for the current 28 D lens it should ALREADY be mounted by vestal virgins with eagle eye sight and rock steady dexterity as it is ... :thumbdown:

Last edited:

gazwas

What I don't understand is what the heck Schneider do in this "Design" collaboration with Mamiya?

For the last few new LS lens releases they managed to design a new lens that's actually the same as the old one? Do they in fact only just supply the shutter and that is where the process ends?

And of all the lenses needing re-designs and leaf shutters the 28mm would have been last on my list. Who on earth needs a LS in a 28mm (17mm as 35mm equivalent) lens?
The 35D springs to mind for a complete re-think and while not essential a LS may come in useful.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Gareth,

All I know is that the Schneider versions do seem to render beautifully. I don't know why or how but there IS a difference. Now the D versus non- D seems much more suspect sometimes.