The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LEICA ELPRO-S 180 Press Release

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
PRESS RELEASE
NEW: LEICA ELPRO-S 180
Accessory close-up lens extends the working range of the LEICA APO-ELMAR-S 180 mm f/3.5
Solms, Germany (September 17, 2012) – Leica Camera presents the Leica Elpro-S 180 close-up lens, a specially calculated accessory lens for the Leica APO-Elmar-S 180 mm f/3.5 that reduces the close focusing distance to 1.1 meters (approximately 3 feet, 7 inches / 43 inches). Attaching this accessory lens achieves a significant increase, approximately 30 percent, of the reproduction ratio of up to 1:4.5.
In contrast to the majority of apochromatic accessory lenses, the Leica Elpro-S 180 is dedicated to one particular lens. Additionally, this new release avoids lateral chromatic aberrations and ensures that there are no detrimental effects on the excellent imaging qualities of the lens.
The Leica Elpro-S 180 is attached to the threaded filter mount of the lens, in the same manner as a filter. Autofocus, exposure metering and all other camera and lens handling functions are fully maintained when using the Leica Elpro-S 180.
Beginning in October 2012, the Leica Elpro-S 180 close-up lens accessory will be available at select Leica dealers, including the Leica Store Washington DC.

I asked Leica about making extension tubes for the 180mm and was told that was not a viable option. I am so glad they came up with another solution for allowing the 180mm to be used for macro work. This one is on my buy list.