The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica s Announcements were predictable

photo570

Has any one got any information on connectivity for the new S.

On the Leica website, the S2 section lists the USB port as USB2, but for the S just says USB. Is it USB3?

I am now seriously considering one.

I currently shoot with a Hasselblad H1 and an Aptus II 5, as well as a 5DmkII. I find the Canon frustrating as it provides flexibility, but not the image quality I get with the Hasselblad.

Unfortunately upgrade paths for me are a bit **** to be honest. You see I could get a H4x by trading in the H1, but the H4x will not work with the Aptus II 5, so that is out, and in my country the price of this option is just stupid, almost nine grand.

I could buy a H5d, but they have dropped the 31, so the entry is now the 40.

Hence my renewed interest in the S, especially with the release of the H lens adapter, so I can use my H lenses.

I do shoot a bit tethered, so that was why I thought to ask about the USB connection.

Has the image shuttle/hot folder solution evolved any further to provide a smooth workflow. I am used to shooting with C1pro so I still have to a lot of research I suppose before making a final decision, but the journey has to start somewhere.

Cheers,
Jason.

The new S has USB 2.0 as explained in the article David Farkas. Apparently, going to USB 3.0 would not have improved transfer speed as the USB port is not the bottleneck. The lack of USB 3.0 in the list of improvements seemed odd to me until I read David's article. Still, I wonder if the transfer speeds have been improved or, if not, why not. It is not that big of a deal to me since I rarely shoot tethered and the option of transferring lower res jpg to the computer or iPad (keep DNG files on CF card) would suffice for my needs. However, Leica clearly made efforts to increase the shot buffer in response to requests from fashion photographer's so it it will be interesting to see what they did about the transfer speeds.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Has any one got any information on connectivity for the new S.

On the Leica website, the S2 section lists the USB port as USB2, but for the S just says USB. Is it USB3?

I am now seriously considering one.

I currently shoot with a Hasselblad H1 and an Aptus II 5, as well as a 5DmkII. I find the Canon frustrating as it provides flexibility, but not the image quality I get with the Hasselblad.

Unfortunately upgrade paths for me are a bit **** to be honest. You see I could get a H4x by trading in the H1, but the H4x will not work with the Aptus II 5, so that is out, and in my country the price of this option is just stupid, almost nine grand.

I could buy a H5d, but they have dropped the 31, so the entry is now the 40.

Hence my renewed interest in the S, especially with the release of the H lens adapter, so I can use my H lenses.

I do shoot a bit tethered, so that was why I thought to ask about the USB connection.

Has the image shuttle/hot folder solution evolved any further to provide a smooth workflow. I am used to shooting with C1pro so I still have to a lot of research I suppose before making a final decision, but the journey has to start somewhere.

Cheers,
Jason.
Leica actually released a new version of Image Shuttle at the show, but I haven't gotten a demo yet.

For tethered shooting, I have a lot of customers shooting straight into LR, which is great since lens profiles (for HC lenses too) can be applied automatically with your other user presets. I also have studio clients who still use C1 and utilize the Leica Shuttle software. Either solution will work. Happy to talk to you more about it offline when I get back from Germany.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
The new S has USB 2.0 as explained in the article David Farkas. Apparently, going to USB 3.0 would not have improved transfer speed as the USB port is not the bottleneck. The lack of USB 3.0 in the list of improvements seemed odd to me until I read David's article. Still, I wonder if the transfer speeds have been improved or, if not, why not. It is not that big of a deal to me since I rarely shoot tethered and the option of transferring lower res jpg to the computer or iPad (keep DNG files on CF card) would suffice for my needs. However, Leica clearly made efforts to increase the shot buffer in response to requests from fashion photographer's so it it will be interesting to see what they did about the transfer speeds.
Yeah, what Mark said. :D

I also had a 1 hour interview with Stephan Schulz yesterday, which I will posting when I get back home next week. Hotel wifi just isn't up to the task of uploading full HD video.

S

SwedishFish

Hi Mark
Is it possible to have the DNG stay on the card and transfer jpg to the computer continuously with tethered shooting?

Best/Dan

S

SwedishFish

Hi mark

Do you know if its possible to shoot dng to a card and jpg to computer simultaneously (tethered)? Also, doesanyone know if you can use hi-speed flash sync on a S2 if shooting with the Hassy H adapter + lems?

Hi Mark
Is it possible to have the DNG stay on the card and transfer jpg to the computer continuously with tethered shooting?

Best/Dan
Dan,

I don't think it is possible when tethered, but I am not 100% sure. My recollection is that when tethered, the file go straight to the computer and don't get written to the card. You may want to give David Farkas or Josh Lehrer a call at Dale Photo and Digital or Leica Store Miami. They are the most knowledgable in the S system that I know. I have been using my S2 for over 3 years and know it well for the way I shoot. However, I don't shoot tethered.

I have seen successful use of an Eye-Fi card to transfer images to an iPad wirelessly and it was pretty cool albeit a little slow. I liked it so much, I bought an Eye-Fi card, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I don't know if I am to dumb to set it up or if I have a bad card. I have tried to set it up on two occasions now with no luck. I need to give Tech Support a call to get the issue resolved.

I am sorry I couldn't provide a more definitive answer to you. Good luck.