The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

6x6

Just what information are the marketing divisions at the MF companies feeding to their management teams that lead them make decisions like this?

I totally understand the logic of going for the mass market by extending the brand, thats where the money is. But APS-C at 5,000 EURO? What are they taking?

It doesn't even qualify as Giffen good because it is so damn ugly!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This will take a miracle to save HB now . Destroying a life time of reputation and great photographic products . What were they thinking ?

Sony is destroying the entire industry .

Can you imagine doing street shooting with that camera ?

Paul Spinnler

Honestly, from a business perspective, who are they targeting. I'd fire this Italian marketing guy. The target demographic could buy a Leica M-E for that price. Probably getting better image quality, higher resale value and the prestige of owning a Leica M with a nice 18 MPX CCD without AA filter. This on the other hand is just plain ugly, unnecessary and a marketing mistake. Hasselblad to me represents functionality with sober Swedish design. Not Italian woodgrips, Colaniesque forms and a cheap consumer sensor in it. There's nothing suggesting premium image quality, the key differentiator I to that moment associated the company with. No custom sensor, no custom lenses, just custom marketing bullshit.

rummenigge2

this just went horribly wrong.
This will take a miracle to save HB now . Destroying a life time of reputation and great photographic products . What were they thinking ?
I just don't get these people. I understand the need to find new markets, but some creativity in this process should live somewhere in the minds of those making decisions.

A digital xpan with an panoramic sensor would have made the photo world talk about Hasselblad. Now everybody is laughing.

V

Vivek

Sony is destroying the entire industry .
How is that? :confused:

Hasselblad

The sad news is that they will not stop with this abomination. They had announced "future" products.

An ugly A99 is also in the cards, it seems.

rummenigge2

"I have long held a desire to enable every fan of the iconic Hasselblad brand to have the opportunity to own one of our cameras. Our mission remains focused on the development of exceptional products at the very top end of the market segments in which we operate. The Lunar camera extends the ongoing partnership and cooperation strategy with leading companies around the world."
Hasselblad CEO in the press release

How in the world can these words walk hand in hand with the announcement they made.

Paul Spinnler

I just read the press release in detail. Instead of producing innovative products they will piggy-back on Sony's products and create luxury derivations of it. Sony gets their cut from each camera and can sell their lenses and Hasselblad has to make money by asking insane amounts of money for re-badget consumer gear.

Maybe they made a poll in the Shanghai financial district and got a resounding YES from the target audience. But in my view most consumers won't be as stupid as to buy this camera gear. I value functionality and innovation and design comes second, especially when the premium asked for it seems to be A FEW HUNDRED PERCENT.

Shashin

I guess Hasselblad is going to need its own forum section for the art deco inspired camera with bathroom fittings. Perhaps you can combine the Ricoh and Pentax forums as they are the same company and give Hasselblad the Ricoh space.

fotografz

Tough economy. Tough year at Photokina. Even tougher crowd.

Pent up techno dreams and schemes dashed on the hard rocks of reality.

No digital XPan. Instead a camera designed by the Hellen Keller Institute with precious Oil Baron and poser fixtures.

No new Phase Camera so desperately needed.

No higher ISOs for the M ... a semi-dedicated available light camera.

No true replacement for the Sony A900 (like a A950 with 36 meg and an OFV).

Incremental performance gains not yet fully explained for the H5D and Leica S.

Sigh.

-Marc

bahr

As a hasselblad user I can safely say that I am extremely disappointed with this announcement. Why would anyone at hasselblad consider this as an option to enter mirrorless compacts. Leica me and Leica m are looking fantastic at the moment.

Paul Spinnler

Well the reality seems to be that the MF manufacturers don't have the financial resources to radically innovate (total MFD market is 12 000 units, with substantial margins for the dealers) and are bound to adopt either consumer technology such as Sony sensors which are getting better and better or scientific/military technology derivatives (huge CCDs from Dalsa) which are getting behing in terms of DR/noise etc. compared to Sony. If Dalsa creates a 100 MPX CCD, we will Se an IQ 200, if not, not. If Sony's licensing agreement with Nikon ends, we will see maybe a NEX 9 full frame, and then a Hasselblad "Neptun" for 5 times the price in Euros.

So basically the only one's left innovating are Sony/Canon and this will determine what we will see.

I highly doubt that the Leica M sensor can match Sony's technology.

Sad times for MFD.

hcubell

The REAL import of this announcement is not the release of a grossly overpriced, rebadged Nex-7. It's the new relationship with Sony, which just may give Hasselblad access to technology for its professional level medium format line that it could not develop on its own. Maybe this is a precursor to Sony taking over Hasselblad. Lots of potential benefits to that if handled and executed properly.

Paul Spinnler

Sad times because there will be a point in time where 35 full-frame sensors will achieve 50 MPX (next Canon 1) and in together with new glass such as the Schneider announcements or the new Zeiss Distagon lenses, there will be no other reason to shoot MFD than the look of a bigger sensor and maybe the advantages of a tech cam.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The actual story is about a partnership that intends to produce a range of cameras.
How that range shapes up we will see..
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Man a updated DF seems genius at this point at least they have state of the art backs. Lol

Leica M might be the winner overall as cool product.