The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

Shashin

It's like paying $500,000 for a special edition Porsche made by Toyota.
Actually, I would like a more reliable, fuel-efficient Porsche. The price is a bit steep though.

What Hasselblad is doing has a lot of risk. Unlike the XPan/TX-1 where the market was clearly separated, Hasselblad is going to sharing the market with Sony. Also both cameras were close in price. Why buy the Luna when you can have the same thing for less from Sony?

gazwas

In the press release, the CEO, Larry Hansen says: "We want to go back to our customers. Fifteen years ago, 65% of our customers were not professionals photographers. Today almost 100% are professionals.
That does not surprise me..... Today, every man and his dog who owns a camera and is remotely into photography calls themselves a professional photographer. Being a professional has no relevance to the ability of the photographer and the camera they should use.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hasselblad is merely following the profitable examples set by Nikon and Canon over the last few years. These two companies have products for all segments of the markets with what we can assume healthy profits that contribute proportionally to the bottom line.
Look at what Mercedes has done with their different classes of card (M,C,E etc), or Porsche with the Panamara and various SUV's.
Hasselblad has a responsibility to its shareholders and also to us (their customers) to survive and to profit. Obviously the old model wasn't working; let's hope this model will be successful so that we can continue to enjoy their top of the line offerings.
Stanley
Stan

Sorry this analogy is so far off to be distracting . Porsche actually leveraged their best capabilities to produce a lower priced sports car and an SUV in factories with better economics . The product lines are complimentary and share technologies and the "magic" dust that keeps Porsche buyers coming back .

They didn t put a Porsche style body on cars made with others technology ..doing so would dilute the brand value . When they partnered with VW ...they retained the essence of their cars .

If HB had designed a new camera (even with Sony) and then leveraged sony s manufacturing capabilities ..OK ..but that is not what happened .

Roger

Swissblad

It sure takes the award for the ugliest camera - ever.
Totally dissapointed :(
Guess I'll move onto Leica.

pophoto

Actually, I would like a more reliable, fuel-efficient Porsche. The price is a bit steep though.

What Hasselblad is doing has a lot of risk. Unlike the XPan/TX-1 where the market was clearly separated, Hasselblad is going to sharing the market with Sony. Also both cameras were close in price. Why buy the Luna when you can have the same thing for less from Sony?
Lexus LFA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually the modern day Porsche is pretty fuel efficient, but not to detract from the subject, the only disappointment is that it is APS-C, and not full frame. Price is obvious, but I wouldn't have minded fixed lens, almost medium format sensor.
Which was my original expectation, I don't really care who helped Hasselblad get there!

gazwas

They didn t put a Porsche style body on cars made with others technology ..doing so would dilute the brand value . When they partnered with VW ...they retained the essence of their cars .
VW Toureg - Porsche Cayenne ring any bells? Base model even used to share the same V6 engine (may still do).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
VW Toureg - Porsche Cayenne ring any bells? Base model even used to share the same V6 engine (may still do).
But the Cayenne isn't 5 times as expensive as the Touareg. They are rather similarly priced in most markets when similarly specified. That goes all the way back to the VW/Porsche 914. The VW powered 1.7 litre, later 2.0 litre, was cheaper than the 6 cylinder Porsche powered version, but not more than the difference in engine technology would suggest. And the sports car from 40 years ago and the current SUVs both had in common that they were developed in partnership.

Mammy645

I'm dumbfounded. Not only is this just a Sony consumer camera with a markup that makes you wonder if it's July 1st, it's possibly the ugliest camera design since the Konica AiBorg. This is what happens when you replace passionate innovators with suits and number crunchers. Victor must be rolling in his grave right now.

jlm

Workshop Member
maybe the flip side of this is that Sony will announce a MF camera based on their new alliance with Hasselblab

Shashin

How to make a successful camera:

1. Hire a design that has never designed a camera because they will think outside the box.

2. Have a clueless management.

3. And if the management is not clueless, have them be too shy to recognize a mistake when they see it.

4. Make sure the folks funding this don't understand what is happening.

Hopefully they can borrow some classic technology from Minotla and have the camera talk. If you are going to make an annoying camera, you might as well make it totally annoying.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ummm... if anybody wonders how Sony came into this, here's probably why:

"Dr. Hansen was appointed Hasselblad Chairman in March 2009 and CEO from November the same year. He has 26 years of experience in top management positions in the German based optical and opto-electronics firm Carl Zeiss. The last 16 years Dr. Hansen was CEO of the Carl Zeiss Asia Pacific operations based in Japan. In this role Dr. Hansen initiated and developed thriving photographic business co-operations with Japanese corporations such as Sony, Cosina and Kyocera."

The Kyocera adventure didn't end so well, something that must have been among his responsibilities. One can of course wonder how the relationship to Fuji has developed after his change to the top job at Hasselblad.
There's one thing that strikes me with things that have happened in Japan during Mr. Hansen's stay in Japan (off topic, but still):

As far as I know, Zeiss has had a partnership with Sony for a long time, but until 2005, that was mostly limited to video cameras. In 2005/2006, when sony acquired the camera division of Konica Minolta, the need for high quality SLR lenses arose, and several Zeiss lenses were launched during the summer 2006.

Until then, only Contax, made by Kyocera, one of Konica Minolta's competitors, was the only Japanese camera brand using Zeiss SLR lenses. One can easily see that Zeiss must have seen a greater future potential with Sony than with Kyocera/Contax. Can Kyocera's abrupt and rather unexpected exit from the camera business in April 2005 simply have been a result of changing focus from Zeiss side, from Kyocera to Sony, a move that may have been seen as disloyal seen from the Kyocera side?

Just wondering. Dr. Larry Hansen, who is apparently in full control at Hasselblad, must have been actively involved in all those processes. Was he the assassin of Contax so to say?

peterv

maybe the flip side of this is that Sony will announce a MF camera based on their new alliance with Hasselblab
That's what I've been thinking. The Lunar might be just scenery for the (rich) public. A way for Hasselblad to make a quick extra buck.
Meanwhile, Sony might already be working on a MF sensor for Hassy, maybe even produce their own MF camera. Obviously, Sony is on the move to become a big player.