The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

M

mjr

I think there are some very strange reactions from people here, the camera isn't aimed at medium format shooters so why care what it is? If it doesn't float your boat then that's fine.

For me, medium format is a pretty small market, the products require lots of resources and are expensive to produce and develop, if a company like Hassleblad need to sign up to this sort of thing to stay in business and continue producing MF kit then so be it, it doesn't affect me. If the announcement was that Hassleblad were closing because they have a share of a very small market and it wasn't sustanable then that would be far more disappointing to me than this camera.

There is only the speculation of a price as far as I can tell, who knows what it will actually be when it comes out, also I think it's great to see new materials and design, it doesn't always have to be boring black boxes!

I'm of the view that the camera adds a small percentage to the images I create, I can have the most expensive camera in the world and point it at something crap, I will have a very detailed picture of a pile of crap, I have control over time, the framing, the light to some extent and then I press the shutter, if the image is rubbish it's more than likely my fault, not the cameras, I won't be producing better images with a better camera, I will be producing better images through practice and vision.

So, good luck to them, I won't buy it but I hope hundreds will, then the profits can go into developing new MF technology.

Obviously this is just my viewpoint!

Mat

fotografz

I guess this is where the H5 money went.

If this camera fails badly, that's not good. It this camera happens to succeed, that's also bad because it'll encourage them to do more of the same.

It is a lose-lose proposition no matter how you slice it.

Bah!

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I guess this is where the H5 money went.

If this camera fails badly, that's not good. It this camera happens to succeed, that's also bad because it'll encourage them to do more of the same.

It is a lose-lose proposition no matter how you slice it.

Bah!

-Marc
The REAL problem here is they are losing there historical roots as a premier MF company . This just dilutes that. They really needed a new back and it's a shame that was not addressed.

Shashin

Actually, Hasselblad is going to have to play some serious catch up with the Japanese companies. The Japanese have been making these products for years. At least they have Sony to help them out, but that adds to cost--most companies that have gone to a large company to make their products have found the added cost a real problem as their prices and margins are not really competitive.

The other problem is their customer base is very conservative. It don't look like a Hasselblad. They are really going to have to make in roads into a very crowed field. Remember Mamiya 35mm cameras? The rebadged Cosina Bessa did not really help Rollei. A miniature H with a 35mm chip might be a better idea.

I wish them well. They are trying to stay afloat in difficult times and it is a bold plan. I hope that camera is not the future as most over-designed (or over-decorated) cameras do not do well.

I hope at least the mirrorless will come out with a V-mount adapter...

fotografz

Well the reality seems to be that the MF manufacturers don't have the financial resources to radically innovate (total MFD market is 12 000 units, with substantial margins for the dealers) and are bound to adopt either consumer technology such as Sony sensors which are getting better and better or scientific/military technology derivatives (huge CCDs from Dalsa) which are getting behing in terms of DR/noise etc. compared to Sony. If Dalsa creates a 100 MPX CCD, we will Se an IQ 200, if not, not. If Sony's licensing agreement with Nikon ends, we will see maybe a NEX 9 full frame, and then a Hasselblad "Neptun" for 5 times the price in Euros.

So basically the only one's left innovating are Sony/Canon and this will determine what we will see.

I highly doubt that the Leica M sensor can match Sony's technology.

Sad times for MFD.
This isn't a MFD camera ... so just ignore it and maybe it'll go away.:)

I also wouldn't doubt the Leica M sensor quite yet. It may have the right character assets for the look M users expect as opposed to the commodity look of Sony.

Cripes, the old Sony slogan "Sony The One and Only" may become a reality.

You will be assimilated. No wait, many already are :eek:

-Marc

Shashin

Jeeze, you guys wanted a really exciting press release and model launch from Hasselblad. They step up to the plate and give it to you and all you do is whine. Tough crowd.

V

Vivek

"For us, the plan is to move very quickly over the next months," says Hasselblad's chairman and CEO Larry Hansen. "Our expectation is to show and launch cameras in every sector of the photographic market while offering the best image quality available in each segment, relying on our collaboration with Sony."

He adds: "We want to go back to our customers. Fifteen years ago, 65% of our customers were not professionals photographers. Today almost 100% are professionals. My goal is to make Hasselblad cameras accessible to all serious customers."

Read more: Photokina 2012: Hasselblad to launch mirrorless compact camera and full-frame digital SLR [Update] - British Journal of Photography
This is quite sad.

Paul Spinnler

In the end Hasselblad is a company intended to make money for its shareholders. The sad reality probably is, that they make a lot more money producing these crappy high-margin products for rich enthusiasts in Asia than by producing next level image capture devices. If you can sell loads of "Ferrari" Hasselblads based on year-old technology to rich kinds in Dubai, why bother investing in r&d, risking liquidity for new products that may be a tough sell to professional photographers, especially considering extremely good competition by Phase One. I predict that serious photographers will stick more with Phase and Hasselblad will be happy going after the Leica customers. I'm sure Leica's success hasn't gone unnoticed and has created a lot of envy. For every getdpi member here there are probably 10 rich people willing to buy a 40 MPX back with with a crappy display for 20k. The reality is we're just an economically un-important customer segment with an out-of-proportion important forum on the net. I'm sure they've gone over the numbers and the 5k lunar will sell well to bankers, sheichs and other persons who can afford such toys.

Oh yeah, and the rich customers they buy the camera, don't abuse it as much as pros, dont cog up customer service telephone lines in denmark/sweden or wherever and don't need dealers explaining them for 3 hours how to optimize phocus on their macs. They just buy that thing shoot some beaches and friends and are happy. If I'd be Hasselblad this is quite undetstaneable as a move actually. It just spells bad times for people interested in real innovation.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jeeze, you guys wanted a really exciting press release and model launch from Hasselblad. They step up to the plate and give it to you and all you do is whine. Tough crowd.
The hype don't match the outcome and this is a medium format crowd and in bad English that ain't no MF camera. They did no address there compitetion at all without upgrading there backs to state of art.

bahr

Hi Michiel,

Honestly, I actually agree with you.lol...

Just wanted to ask. :)

I live and work here for the past 6 years but before that scotland since birth and i can see that this camera will most likely sell in this market. I just hope that this is a joke and in the next few months hassy change their mind with everything we have asked for. Custom pano sensor, xpan vibes and great ISo performance.

No offence taken at all.

kipling

"Fifteen years ago, 65% of our customers were not professionals photographers. Today almost 100% are professionals. My goal is to make Hasselblad cameras accessible to all serious customers."

Not a bad idea really, and all cynicism aside, maybe, just maybe, this is a classic case of prototype design. the boys and girls in the design department are let off the leash and go overboard. after it goes through the focus groups it may actually come out looking like camera. time will tell. and the marketplace will dictate how things develop. if this thing doesn't sell, then they'll be doing some major back peddling to there customer base, or what's left of it.