The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica interview on the S

Shashin

jotloob

Subscriber Member
And have a look to that big lenshood on the new LEICA S .
Isn't that great ? ? ?:ROTFL:

We should have a VOTE about the best PHOTKINA products .

And the worst ! ! ! The winner is ? ? ?:grin:

pophoto

I think the best thing to come from S improvements are that current S2 owners may not feel the necessary need to upgrade finding still a lot of worth in their current camera, users can correct me if I am wrong here! However, I have lusted for the S2 from the beginning, and was even close to pulling the trigger a year ago now. These improvements would make me happy, sure I would loved to have seen an improved sensor, but I am sure the next S we will see that for sure. Leica continues to release S glass which also shows their commitment. It really does sound like Leica is a mature company, and not just expensive camera manufacturing snob (cough Hass cough).

Seriously though, I think Leica equipment is of the highest standards and as someone who has used/owned their gear, where it seems they are going and how they release their products to how they respond to interviews, there's a lot that I like and respect on a personal level.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I couldn't help thinking about the Lunar when reading the interview. What an immense difference in attitude. That alone makes me think buying a Leica would be worthwhile.

pophoto

Leica states ISO performance was improved.
Yes, and that's a good thing, but I would hope the next upgrade we'll see even better higher ISO performance, for now it looks like they've stretched it some, but I remember (sketchy) ISO 640 was the last one I'd use. Perhaps also increased resolution option, the verdicts not out on this one!

Last edited:

Swissblad

I like Leica's commitment - sounds good for potential buyers.
The idea to delist and go private is also a good sign.
The M is becoming more and more attractive.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
But I'm afraid his assertion that only someone unfamiliar with MFD would ask about the relationship between the S2 and D800 is simply wrong, and the worst sort of see-through, marketing oriented response. Whether or not any of us as individuals believe that the d800 'gets close to or equals' the S2, it it an absolute fact that a lot of pretty experienced photographers, including a lot of getDPI members, have abandoned MFD for the D800 or at least added the D800 to their mix in a way whereby it takes over from at least some of what they used to do with MFD.

People who know what they are doing don't in generall like being sneered at by people with a marketing axe to grind. And this is coming from someone who has ordered the new M...

gazwas

Interesting read. Can Leica be the market leaders in MF?

The problem I see with the S system is, as what has happened, the body gets some really nice improvements but the chip stays pretty much the same. As a S2 user I'm forced to buy the whole camera again. I know we complain about the cost of the Phase DF+ for its worthy buy very incremental improvements but at least in comparison to buying a whole new S the DF+ is a steal.

I also think Leica has got a dose of the rebranding bug..... that 120 T/S looks very much like the Schneider lens?

tjv

If money were no object, well, I'd buy in! On the other side of the fence, I couldn't do without 24mm and 50mm (35mm equiv.) shift lenses. I've used the S2 on several occasions and I was really impressed.

Swissblad

But I'm afraid his assertion that only someone unfamiliar with MFD would ask about the relationship between the S2 and D800 is simply wrong, and the worst sort of see-through, marketing oriented response. Whether or not any of us as individuals believe that the d800 'gets close to or equals' the S2, it it an absolute fact that a lot of pretty experienced photographers, including a lot of getDPI members, have abandoned MFD for the D800 or at least added the D800 to their mix in a way whereby it takes over from at least some of what they used to do with MFD.

People who know what they are doing don't in generall like being sneered at by people with a marketing axe to grind. And this is coming from someone who has ordered the new M...
I don't think that was the point he (at least I was) were trying to make.

Last edited:

Swissblad

And have a look to that big lenshood on the new LEICA S .
Isn't that great ? ? ?:ROTFL:

We should have a VOTE about the best PHOTKINA products .

And the worst ! ! ! The winner is ? ? ?:grin:
I think the vote for most innovative MF should go to ALPA.

For FX - the Nikon D600 and

for small cameras - I really like the new Fuji XE-1.

We all know who the worst is :)

tashley

Subscriber Member
I think it's fairly unambiguous:

Q: Do you feel any pressure from cameras like Nikon's D800, which offer comparable pixel counts to the S?
A: Many people ask me this question, but people who really like to work with medium format don't ask me that....People who ask about cameras like the D800 have never experienced medium format... .....This question comes only from people who have no experience of medium format at all.

I don't think that was the point he (at least I was) were trying to make.

Dan on the Tech Cam part of this forum takes stunning images with an ALPA and a 22 mp back. Although not in the same league, I'm very happy with my 31 mp back.

MF lenses yield a different feel to 35mm lenses (DOF etc) - no need to preach to the choir here.

As a long time Nikon user I have no axe to grind with the D800 - I just prefer the D4.

On the other side, I'm thinking about an M - as I appreciate Leica's new found commitment to photographic excellence - and think it is worthy of support.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Interesting read. Can Leica be the market leaders in MF?

The problem I see with the S system is, as what has happened, the body gets some really nice improvements but the chip stays pretty much the same. As a S2 user I'm forced to buy the whole camera again. I know we complain about the cost of the Phase DF+ for its worthy buy very incremental improvements but at least in comparison to buying a whole new S the DF+ is a steal.

I also think Leica has got a dose of the rebranding bug..... that 120 T/S looks very much like the Schneider lens?
It wasn't just the camera that was improved. There were 80 separate improvements from the S2 to the new S.

If we put this into the same terms as Phase One, it is a new DF body and a new back, but with the same sensor. Doesn't the IQ160 have the same sensor as the P65+, but with a better interface, higher-res LCD, updated electronics, virtual horizon, etc.?

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well the upgrade to the IQ from the Plus was pretty significant . So that maybe a little bit of a stretch to compare. The S2 to 3 is a nice path for Leica to take but mostly just good improvements not revolutionary items like the IQ was from the Plus. In the end the DF+ and S3 are just nice upgrades and improvements. Phase is really downplaying those improvements in the Press release which is actually the smart thing to do since its more getting there body more reliable and accurate whereas Leica is letting folks know of those improvements in the S3 , so it's a little diffrent marketing push which it should be. There are actually a lot of improvements done to the DF just phase is just thinking ahead. Leica and Phase maybe in a lot of people's minds did not improve a lot but they where good improvements. Now about the sensor the Leica is getting a liile old in the tooth and my bet at some point you'll see both companies offer a CMOS solution. What Hassy did was maybe improve there body but did not address there biggest glaring issue was pretty outdated backs in terms of functionality like the Phase back. Not sure where the heck they are going but does not sound good. End of day Leica will be the premier DSLR style MF solution and Phase will be the premier Back solution standing on the mountain. Room for both

But I do not buy either company feels the pressure from 35mm that is total bull **** marketing talk. They know its on there heels.

gazwas

It wasn't just the camera that was improved. There were 80 separate improvements from the S2 to the new S.

If we put this into the same terms as Phase One, it is a new DF body and a new back, but with the same sensor. Doesn't the IQ160 have the same sensor as the P65+, but with a better interface, higher-res LCD, updated electronics, virtual horizon, etc.?
Oh come on, that just sound like fanboyism......!

If you actually think the 80 different improvements will make a ounce of difference to the output of the camera than I think you are taking the marketing BS way too serious. I think the improvements to the camera like buffer,UI and ergonomics are a very welcome improvement but as I would never invest in such a system because you have to buy the whole camera vs separate camera/back option.

I had a P65+ and a Phase AF. The IQ was launched and I didn't want to upgrade the back for the same chip as I shoot mostly tethered but I did want to upgrade my camera to a DF for various reasons. Likewise if/when the all new Phase camera is launched I can still use my 2010 back on a 2013/2014/2015 camera release. Impossible with the S system and why I don't see it as the future number one MF system.

johnnygoesdigital

Some who do know the differences between MFD and the D800, are not S2 users. Leica glass is the only draw for me, but now Zeiss has announced new lenses for the newer crop of higher MP 35mm DSLR's. Why are there not more comparisons between the S2 and the D800? I had an S2, great camera, but I choose the functionality of the D800 instead. Setting aside the obvious price disparity, the D800 files are really good...just as good! Like it or not, the D800 changed the way photographers think about their investment to quality ratio, and most certainly has changed the MFD industry. Planned obsolescence doesn't sting that much...thanks D800!

The best thing out of Photokina, came from Fuji and Zeiss.