The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica interview on the S

tashley

Subscriber Member
I agree - and the Lunacy from H'blad is the most telling new product

Picture the product and marketing guys having a meeting about four months ago....

"Hey guys, not only do Phase make a compelling alternative to our MFD products, but the whole market for MFD is taking a swallow dive as people are jumping ship to high MP DLSRs. What can we think up to sell in order to meet budget? Got it! Let's make a bastard love child between a Bentley and Nex-7 and call it "Lunacy"! Actually, "Lunar" might be a bit more on brand..."

Snip
Like it or not, the D800 changed the way photographers think about their investment to quality ratio, and most certainly has changed the MFD industry. Planned obsolescence doesn't sting that much...thanks D800!

Shashin

I hate to point out that because a company releases a new model, you don't actually have to buy it. The great quality that you get with your current equipment doesn't actually change with a press release for a new product.

Now the camera companies would like photographers to think they have to "upgrade." It is good for their bottom line. They are very happy to put the "upgrade" idea in the consumer consciousness.

johnnygoesdigital

I hate to point out that because a company releases a new model, you don't actually have to buy it. The great quality that you get with your current equipment doesn't actually change with a press release for a new product.

No, but the value does, especially with upgrades. The "quality" issue is debatable, and in some cases planned obsolescence is welcomed.

Shashin

These are cameras, not stocks nor savings accounts. I would not buy a camera as an investment tool. In fact, the return on investment is the work you get out of the camera, not the resale value.

johnnygoesdigital

Most professional photographers do in fact, invest in "tools"...it's the key component to their success. A 1923 Leica sold for $2,900,000.00...that's a pretty good investment!