The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographs with a story

tsjanik

This was taken on the IQ180 not far from Mount Isa in North West Queensland.
I have been reading Arthur Koestler's book, "The Act of Creation" where he writes about planes of reference which overlap at a point which is logical but an unexpected connection.

Here the rocks crashing down the hill side made a graph like profile, reminding me of the 2007/2008 stock market crash.

Mal
Great book, I read it in 1965 and still recall his use of puns as illustration of the intersection of planes of meaning.

Extending your thoughts: the crumbled rocks in the foreground are in the same shape as the financial resources of those in the market. :angry:

Tom

Professional

I don't know what i can tell about this photo, all what i can say about it is that it is photo i had in my mind as an idea to submit for a gallery of our photography club, the gallery title or theme is "A word and a photo/image", so i asked me friend whose hand in that shot to help me, and because the photo must include a word or letter i didn't a better way than including books, i don't like to add words by photoshop as most of the photos submitted were, and i took this idea from one of our historical famous arabic writer who died under his books/publications that time.

I miss my friend, he is so humble and funny, don't know if i will meet him again somewhere to have some common ideas in photography, i forgot to mention that he is into photography as well, he is from Saudi Arabia.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm tempted to post a picture here, but the subject was killed about two minutes after I took the last shot. I was the photographer for my niece's wedding, and we were at the dinner after the rehearsal. The dinner was more of a picnic held at a grass airfield in a brand new hangar. The bride's father was taking people up in his private airplane and another pilot was taking people up in aerobatic bi-plane for thrilling stunt rides. After taking the last pictures of the groom's brother as the passenger in the front seat of the aerobatic airplane, the pilot, and the mother looking on in pride, the airplane took off. A short time later the airplane went down after losing power on takeoff. The groom's brother was killed instantly, and the pilot died one month to the day later.

My pictures were used at both the funerals. Out of respect for the family I am not posting images here. So, I guess this is a story without a picture. Sometimes we do not realize the importance of our pictures, but I can tell you that many of my pictures have been the last taken of an individual.

Greg
I've seldom read a better justification for just getting out and shoot shoot shoot. I'm sure that despite the sad story that those pictures of joy before the incident resonate well with the grieving parties.

Coincidentally, one of my best photo buddies started a trek with me and a friend down to New Mexico & Texas a week or so ago knowing that his father was certainly terminally ill. We shot and fully expected the call to go home. Ironically his business partner was killed unexpectedly in a car wreck at the weekend and he had to return home early. Two days later his father passed away but he was home .... Fate works strangely sometimes.

However, what I take from all of this is that life is short, excuses are easy, just get out and follow your creative dreams now because you never know what is around the corner. Ditto shooting - shoot it NOW anyway because experience confirms that what you don't shoot will be gone unexpectedly tomorrow.

Sorry for the deep comments but as you get older this all becomes very very real.

Last edited:

KeithL

I’m just back from a recent trip to Greece. Amongst the projects was a planned shoot at Lovokomeio, the former leprosy colony and hospital in Chios. The colony which was founded by the Genoese in 1378 is the oldest medical facility in Greece. Destroyed by an earthquake in 1881 and rebuilt in 1909 it was eventually abandoned in 1959.

Mixed emotions on the shoot, above all I felt the presence of the patients. To this day the colony is virtually unknown and has been left to decay.

Forgotten Lives.

Y Sol

When I was a a young boy, I often played on the attic of my grandmothers house.
One day I found a cardboard box with hundreds of b&w negatives and some photos.
I looked at all this negatives and was fascinated, I thought the smell of the b&w films and photos was very interesting. Now 45 years later I'm a professinal photographer.
When I open the box I still feel like a child……
Here's a scan:

Last edited:

Swissblad

I’m just back from a recent trip to Greece. Amongst the projects was a planned shoot at Lovokomeio, the former leprosy colony and hospital in Chios. The colony which was founded by the Genoese in 1378 is the oldest medical facility in Greece. Destroyed by an earthquake in 1881 and rebuilt in 1909 it was eventually abandoned in 1959.

Mixed emotions on the shoot, above all I felt the presence of the patients. To this day the colony is virtually unknown and has been left to decay.

Forgotten Lives.

Very evocative Keith!
Looking forward to the new portfolio.
Best, S :)

Shashin

It is not that leprosy is easy to treat, it was the social stigma and isolation that leprosy patients had to endure.

KeithL

As I said, mixed emotions. Before effective treatment became available the social stigma was such that there was little alternative to the colonies.

Lovokomeio was partially funded by The Red Cross and provided much needed treatment and care. It was regarded as a progressive model for such communities. Thankfully it is no longer needed.

Sadly the colonies persist elsewhere.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
When I was a a young boy, I often played on the attic of my grandmothers house.
One day I found a cardboard box with hundreds of b&w negatives and some photos.
I looked at all this negatives and was fascinated, I thought the smell of the b&w films and photos was very interesting. Now 45 years later I'm a professinal photographer.
When I open the box I still feel like a child……
Here's a scan:
Priceless memory

danlindberg

A weekend full of memories. Spending time with an old friend for the first time in 20 years. Talking about the good 'ol days, fishing, cooking, drinking wine and suddenly two days had passed. Time to wave goodbye with the promise of staying in touch. I wave until the taillights have vanished in the distance...

malmac

My wife grew up on a sheep property in North Western Queensland - we went out and camped on the creek near the old shearing shed. This image shows the wool prees she used as a teenager, the wool scales and the very floorboards she walked across so many times - the door way to the left is where they all sat around and had their 'smoko' breaks. The property no longer has sheep, only cattle so the shed has not been used for many years.

This image was taken right on day break with the warm rays of the winter sun flooding into the woolshed.

645DF, IQ180 55mmSK lens. 3 images stacked to extend the dynamic range. Colour is as taken - no increase in saturation.

Mal

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Read the story from this shot if you can ;) :D

Tareq

I like this image . It is a good image , telling either a true or a false open end story .
What I ask myself , by looking at the image again and again , what are the blue , cyan and magenta diagonal stripes in the sky .
Was this real ? ? ? Hard to believe .
Can you see these stripes already in PHOCUS or are they a result of post processing ? ? ?
In any case , I think , this is not normal . What has gone wrong ? ? ?

Professional

Tareq

I like this image . It is a good image , telling either a true or a false open end story .
What I ask myself , by looking at the image again and again , what are the blue , cyan and magenta diagonal stripes in the sky .
Was this real ? ? ? Hard to believe .
Can you see these stripes already in PHOCUS or are they a result of post processing ? ? ?
In any case , I think , this is not normal . What has gone wrong ? ? ?
You should answer these questions by yourself.
This is from post processing, i don't know what i did to get it, i tried to get rid of it, the original one doesn't have it, but in fact, i liked it at the end even it is not normal or not true.

J

johnlee2012

I always love the photos with story telling inside, although there is no word inside but the pic can tell everything

BTW more picture please ...

malmac

I left well before sunup to get a photo of the sunrise. I had about a 10km drive from our campsite and then a kilometer walk through dense rain forest to a lookout on the edge of a range. When I got to a small pull off area to park there was another car already parked but no one around. Using my torch I walked out along a rough track through the forest which was pitch black except for my torch beam. All the time I expected to hear or see a light from the owners of the other car.

I got out to the edge of the range and to get a better shot I followed the edge of the range along through the forest without any track. After spending an hour or more in the dark, the sun lightened the sky and eventually rose. Just after dawn I took this photo of the vines and shadows.

I admit I was scared in the forest and my mind started building scary images out of the random patterns of nature. A primeval experience but another doorway to the immagination.

mal

Professional

I left well before sunup to get a photo of the sunrise. I had about a 10km drive from our campsite and then a kilometer walk through dense rain forest to a lookout on the edge of a range. When I got to a small pull off area to park there was another car already parked but no one around. Using my torch I walked out along a rough track through the forest which was pitch black except for my torch beam. All the time I expected to hear or see a light from the owners of the other car.

I got out to the edge of the range and to get a better shot I followed the edge of the range along through the forest without any track. After spending an hour or more in the dark, the sun lightened the sky and eventually rose. Just after dawn I took this photo of the vines and shadows.

I admit I was scared in the forest and my mind started building scary images out of the random patterns of nature. A primeval experience but another doorway to the immagination.

mal
Well, i never had that experience to go into a forest in the dark, i had similar story but not through forest, once i was in New Zealand, and i stayed to shoot one location there until dusk and the sky was cloudy fully and dark, and it was getting colder, so i decided to stop and go back, so i walked for about 3kms to get back to my cottage i stayed there, i was walking around to get there and i passed dark high trees and few houses, one of the houses has 2 llamas, one in black and his eyes was very scary, so my heart was beating strongly of fear, even when i got back to cottage i couldn't sleep as the cottage is a bit isolated and the houses are just surrounded but not so close.

Nice shot anyway.