The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 5,6/47XL need Center Filter?

Pemihan

I got a nice sweet Cambo WRS package on the way, including a Schneider 5,6/47XL Lens. I'll be using it for stitching and am wondering if I need a Center Filter with that lens?
Looking at Cambo's website there doesn't seem to be one...

Thanks
Peter

torger

I have one for mine.

It depends a bit on which type of digital back you have, and how much dynamic range you can accept that you lose towards the edges. If you're really picky about quality you will want one, especially if you have a modern smaller pixel back (more cast issues), but it is not absolutely dead necessary I think, although I haven't myself tried it without.

Since you will use it for stitching it is likely that you will use it close to edges of the image circle, so I think the recommendation must be that yes you should have a center filter.

The problem is more vignetting and more color cast the closer to the edge, and when this is corrected with the LCC file you may end up pushing several stops and get poor image quality with lots of noise on the sides.

Pemihan

Thanks torger..
I have a Mamiya DM22 back (Leaf Aptus II 5) so I'm not even sure I'll need to do LCC.
I will get one though and do some testing...

PeterL

Thanks torger..
I have a Mamiya DM22 back (Leaf Aptus II 5) so I'm not even sure I'll need to do LCC.
You will always need to do the LCC, but unless you shift significantly the CF is not needed on the 47XL (in my opinion).

Cheers, -Peter

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks torger..
You can "get away" with not using an LCC unshifted, but I think you'll find that it just makes more sense to always do it. With shift you'll definitely need it.

I'd get the center filter. It reduces the load the LCC will have to carry regarding evening out the light which means less-pushed shadows which means more ability to use shadow-lifting for aesthetic reasons rather than just to correct lens fall off. If you don't want it for a shot (e.g. you're shooting at dusk and shutter speed is already long and you don't want the light loss of a CF) then you can remove it in a few seconds.

johneaton

Hello,

I've always found it necessary to use and icc when shifted, but not a center filter with the 47 (but, for example, I always use a center filter with the 35) -- FYI, I'm mainly doing internal architecture shots when shifting.

Best, John.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
With my 47XL I find that I do the following:

47XL & IQ160 - I use the centre filter religiously. It just makes LCC correction better and easier.

47XL & Leaf Aptus 65 or P25+ - I don't need the filter and enjoy the extra speed. LCC correct well with or without the filter.

I generally have to shot an LCC regardless of which back I use. As mentioned by others, for shifts a LCC is mandatory IMHO.

dick

You will always need to do the LCC, but unless you shift significantly the CF is not needed on the 47XL (in my opinion).

Cheers, -Peter
I thought that the significant shift ability was the main asset of the 47XL?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I thought that the significant shift ability was the main asset of the 47XL?
It certainly is one of the assets of the 47XL but there's still light fall off / colour cast across the frame. That still needs correction.

rayyen

Agree with Graham, I use 47, 35 and 24XL.
47 without shift, CF is not very necessary. For shift, better put CF on.