The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small laptop for tethering in field?

narikin

Time to get a new small laptop for tethering in field. Anyone got a suggestion? I was thinking of something like a windows convertible tablet, which seem to have great power and value to them. Must be light, with good screen more than anything. I do like the fold over screens of convertible tablets, which allow you to handle a simple slate type block rather than the awkward L shape, which is not so good when standing.

Until Phase get their USB3 working (never?) obviously it would also have to be able to adapt to Firewire.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
11" MacBook Air with Thunderbolt works great. See our article on Thunderbolt with Digital Backs.

Shockingly durable for such a light machine.
Surprisingly snappy for a relatively low-spec machine.
Perfectly usable for other applications like typing in a hotel room or airplane.

$1350 will get you a 128gb version with 3 year warranty. If you're on a budget the official refurbs can knock a few hundred off that.

I've never seen a tablet I liked other than the iPad (which wouldn't work for this). Usually battery life is awful, touch screen is only so-so, and weight is surprisingly high. The tablet you linked to is 4 pounds when using something called the "weight saver" (no idea what that is, maybe a lower capacity battery??). The Air is 2.4 pounds and is also significantly thinner than either of the tablets you linked to.

DeckardTrinity

I second the MacBook Air recommendation - it is my tool of choice for all things tethering these days (especially with the TB->FW adapter from Apple).

sc_john

Any experience/comments on visibility of 11" MBA screen outdoors without a shade or hood of some sort? I know this is subjective, but I'm curious about using this for focus/composition/etc check in the field. Thanks.

John

Professional

Macbook Pro 13", i have old model of this one and i am quite happy with it, i have 17" Matt screen model but it is older and a bit heavy, so i take 13" one, i wasn't planning for MacBk air before as i feel it is very small for some works so i ignored it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
+1 for the MBA, although I would prefer the 13" (which I have) which has more SSD space, a larger monitor and an SD card slot. I was worried about the glossy screen to start with, but I never give it a thought anymore. Mine has taken a lot of abuse, and it's always the last thing that I ram into my backpack when it's really more than full.

pcunite

Time to get a new small laptop for tethering in field. Anyone got a suggestion? I was thinking of something like a windows convertible tablet, which seem to have great power and value to them. Must be light, with good screen more than anything.
Thinkpad X230 ... comes with an IPS display.

AndyPtak

@narikin

I have a Fujitsu convertable tablet. Not the model you highlighted - I think it's a TH700(?).

I thought long and hard before I bought this and flexibilty was key for me. I liked that it was finger and stylus responsive and could be used as a computer and a tablet. I put in a SSD to speed things up on this little machine and substituted a second battery for the CD bay. The clincher for me is it had an Express Card slot and I have been able to add Firewire and USB 3 ports. (why doesn't every machine have this feature?)

In the end I took a $1000 machine and with my improvements made it a $2000 machine. I've owned it a year and hate it. It is so effing slow that I go insane.

I'm sitting in a hotel in Mexico right now and waiting and waiting as Lightroom imports my work. It is painful and hampers my production terribly. I regret ever buying this. All of the other features I love and would stand by my decision, but the fact is that an i3 processor is a joke and can't be compensated for in other features.

archivue

For Leaf user :
13" Macbook pro for his firewire 800 connection
15" Macbook pro for his firewire 800 connection and optional antiglare screen

dick

Do you want something cheap and light, or something that works?
What camera/software are you using, and what is the file size?
I would get a 17" SSD Mac book pro - for 60Mpx files and Phocus and PS - but something cheaper and lighter might work ¿or even be productive? for you... and you may have younger eyes and not get much benefit from the larger screen?