The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 60mm f5.6 Apo Digitar

tjv

Is there such thing as a digital ski mask for "acquiring" expensive gear online, or is that simply credit card fraud?

vjbelle

Thanks, Vjbelle. Are you shooting film or digital? If the lens has a 120mm IC and the diagonal of 6x7cm film is 91mm, that means I *should* be able to shift / rise 14.5mm. I'm guessing the IC is specs as relating to f11.

My problem is that because I've only shot 4x5", and never with a camera with a mm scale to tell me how much rise I'm using, I'm not sure how this measurement translates on 6x7cm film. As I say, I can't afford the digital back just now. That will come in the next year or so, hopefully.

It does indeed seem like the 60mm lens is a total no brainer though.
I am shooting with an IQ180 on an Alpa STC. 15mm shift is very close to 0.6 inches - if that helps any.

Victor

tjv

Thanks, Victor.
I guess I phrased my question regarding movements in a way that isn't so clear. What I'm unclear about is how much, for example, 30mm rise on 4x5" format with a 90mm lens equates to in mm rise on 6x7cm format with an equivalent lens. Or, in other words, when you drop format size and use an equivalent lens does the amount of movement in mm stay the same or does it drop according to the smaller format? Does that make sense? I think I'm going crazy!
T

vjbelle

Or, in other words, when you drop format size and use an equivalent lens does the amount of movement in mm stay the same or does it drop according to the smaller format? Does that make sense?
T
Makes perfect sense to me. There really should be mathematical way to state all of this but I'll let that up to someone else.

Victor

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Scale everything by the ratio of the sensor/film sizes. If the sensor is half as big, and the lens used is half the focal length, so (DoF aside) the pictures are similar, then a shift of 30mm on the large sensor corresponds to a shift of 15mm on the smaller one.

-Matt

tjv

So would I be right in thinking that 6x7cm is approximately 1/3 the image area of 4x5"? If this is correct, I only need to shift the lens 1/3 the amount (physical movement) to give me the equivalent affect, all other things being equal? If so, that would be great because it would suggest the 60mm Schneider's 120mm IC is all I'd personally need on 6x7cm format.